SASS Wire Forum

Looking for some expertise on Armi San Marco

Long Gun Preacher

I just picked up this Armi San Marco Richards conversion in 44 colt

It seems far nicer than my previous ASM Richards which was in  38.  This one seems more solidly made and more nicely crafted.  Very smooth and light trigger  The only issue is that there is some play in the cylinder.

Here is where I am looking for some knowledge:

There are NO Italian proofmarks  There is only a three digit low serial number and a small notation saying "CFA Fredricksburg ASM"  I assume that is Cimarron?  It also has a navy style grip and a shorter bbl-fits my hand much better than my previous ASM in 38

Any insight into the provenance of this firearm is appreciated!

with thanks

asm1.jpg

asm2.jpg

asm3.jpg

Your ASM is indeed as sold by Cimarron.  With the Navy Pattern grip set, you gun approximates Colt 1861s, except Colt never converted 1861s.  5 1/2 inch barrel fairly common.  Your Grip Frame is Silver Plate.  

Early built guns had some fore and aft play in the Cylinder and did not have stable Head Space nor End Shake.  Later built guns had an odd bushing between the Cylinder and the Barrel Lug.  The Cylinder had a shallow rebate machined to accept the bushing, which controlled the End Shake.  Yours is a nice looking example of the early build guns.  Your Head Space and Barrel to Cylinder gap will wander all over the place.  

Quality control at Armi San Marco was abhorrent.  About 1 in seven guns worked as it should.  The rest were pre-assembled parts repositories.  There are no parts available should one break.  Good luck and Have Fun with it :)

Wish they still made the type 1. I have the currently manufactured type 2. The asm you have there in 44 colt is more correct in original dimensions minus the grip frame. Lots of people change them out to 1860 army brass trigger guards and steel backstraps as originals were. Most had the grip frames were silver plated like yours some just the trigger guard. Some had full brass grip frames, others had all steel or just a brass trigger guard and steel back strap with most being sikver plated. The current Cimarron reproductions are type 2’s with the sight on the hammer and firing pin on the hammer. And they have steel grips frames. I silver plated mine to look more correct. This video has more information. 

I know that you know to only shoot .44 Colt in it.  But are you planning to shoot BP?  Most opentop Colt style pistols are fine with BP but I recall when these first came out that some of them did not play well with BP.  I don't remember if it was the ones with the funky little bushing piece that fits on top of the arbor or the ones without that piece.  Coffinmaker might remember.

Archived