SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of selling.....what are they worth?

Not sure wear to post this but I'll start here.  Mods, please move if necessary.

I've got a nice Marlin 1894 in .357/.38.  Runs great with .38 specials.  I tried at least 3 different factory loads/bullet styles.  No issues.  Shot one match, only issue was the shooter.^_^  20" carbine made by remlin.

The other one is a 4-3/4" stainless NMV in God's cartridge.  .45 Colt for you heathens:P  Good shooter but I'm picking up a Colt SAA and need to fund it.

Thanks!

I sold my 20” 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt, just last March.  Unfired NIB manufactured by Remington. Got $1000 cash.  

Hopefully everyone is aware that when Ruger purchased Marlin, they no longer provide any parts or services for any JM or Remlin built Marlins.  Ruger did get all of the left-over parts, but per the legal agreement of the sale, cannot provide any of them to anyone.  

Yep, I shoot a JM Marlin 1894C and love it.  Personally, I would not feel right selling any JM or Remlin Marlin to anyone, especially a new CAS shooter without explaining this to the buyer.  Again, opinion only.

Just my opinion...... but the value of a .357 Remlin (as it came from the factory) is probably around $600.   And, it would be 

a gamble for a new owner because various problems with them make it very hard for a knowledgable gunsmith to make

them competitive in SASS.     

I documented 9 key issues with them a few year back and shared the info with Remington.    Some of the models

produced during the last couple years of Remington ownership did show an improvement in those last year models.

To me, the .38/357 calibers were a curse.   BUT..... some of the .45 Colt calibers were actually nice rifles.

I think the basic problem with the .38/.357 models was due to folks at Remington didn't understand the timing aspects.

To get cartridges like the .38/.357 to feed reliably, timing is more critical.

But for the longer stuff like a .45 Colt,  timing wasn't as critical, so fewer problems occurred with those bigger calibers.

If you have one that runs reliable,  congratulations.   My guess is that its one of their later produced models.

..........Widder

On 10/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Just my opinion...... but the value of a .357 Remlin (as it came from the factory) is probably around $600.   And, it would be 

a gamble for a new owner because various problems with them make it very hard for a knowledgable gunsmith to make

them competitive in SASS.     

I documented 9 key issues with them a few year back and shared the info with Remington.    Some of the models

produced during the last couple years of Remington ownership did show an improvement in those last year models.

To me, the .38/357 calibers were a curse.   BUT..... some of the .45 Colt calibers were actually nice rifles.

I think the basic problem with the .38/.357 models was due to folks at Remington didn't understand the timing aspects.

To get cartridges like the .38/.357 to feed reliably, timing is more critical.

But for the longer stuff like a .45 Colt,  timing wasn't as critical, so fewer problems occurred with those bigger calibers.

If you have one that runs reliable,  congratulations.   My guess is that its one of their later produced models.

..........Widder

Widder, how does someone get in touch with you with a question or 2.

5 hours ago, Lucky Lawdog said:

Widder, how does someone get in touch with you with a question or 2.

Phone:  865 / 696-1996

email:  widder1894@icloud.com

If its not an emergency, I won't be able to talk at length this evening.

But if you can wait till Sunday afternoon or Monday to call, that would be better.

Thanks

..........Widder

For all concerned:

A few years back in 2016, when many of the earlier 'Remlins' were being returned to the factory because of various issues,

supposedly Remington ended up buying some of their 1894's back from dissatisfied customers.

I don't know this for a fact, but here's what I do know as a fact.....

Remington (which still maintained a Marlin office in the N. Carolina) offered their employee's an 1894 in .38/.357 at a price of $300.

Those rifles, as I was informed by one of those employees who bought one of them, were "previously owned and FIXED

RIGHT" and that is why they were offered to employees at such a low price.

And now the rest of the story:   I agreed with that employee to work on her rifle because it was still terrible.   It took me

some great efforts just to make it run descent.  And it took me even MORE effort to make it CAS competitive.

The timing on it was bad (the carrier ramp had to be built up),  and even the carrier plunger stud had to be replaced.

Final comment:   when purchasing an early Remlin in .38/.357, proceed with caution.

The first Remlin I worked on had an issue with the mag tube follower and spring protruding out onto the carrier

when the rifle was trying to cycle the LAST ROUND from the mag tube.

Someone had drilled the front of the portal hole straight thru into the receiver and did not 'funnel' the front of the Portal

to stop the mag tube follower.   In other words, the mag tube follower and spring was coming out onto the carrier just like

it was another round....... and needless to say, the action won't work when the mag tube spring in pushing out into

the receiver.

..........Widder

On 10/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, Pb Mark said:

Hopefully everyone is aware that when Ruger purchased Marlin, they no longer provide any parts or services for any JM or Remlin built Marlins.  Ruger did get all of the left-over parts, but per the legal agreement of the sale, cannot provide any of them to anyone.  

You have a reference?

See the customer service page on the Marlin web site.   I went further and called New Hampshire Service Center and discussed it with them.   Internet researched the sale agreement too.

While at it and if interested, see the Ruger Customer Service page, then click the rectangular box for Parts and Service.  This link takes you to all of the different other firearms that Ruger built and no longer provides parts and services for.  That list is long and includes 20+ firearms.  It also includes a shorter list of limited parts and services.  Some of the firearms no longer supported will probably make you angry.  Did me.

I'm not bashing Ruger, but times are changing folks.  Not Ruger's fault.  One no longer simply can call any large gun manufacturer and have them send you parts.  ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) is in effect.  Computer forms need filled out, etc.  I could go on and on....  Don't blame the messenger.

What started my research was becoming a less than financially flush CAS shooter / SASS member.  I already had a JM 94 carbine and two first year new model vaqueros in my safe.  Needed to get them up to snuff.  Widder spent hours on the phone with me explaining the Marlin timing as I took the rife apart on the bench.  My revolvers have the internal locks on them, barrels screwed on perfectly straight, narrow rear sight channels.  I wanted to play with hammer springs, so called Ruger to discuss.  They require new grip frames...  I asked Ruger about the lock keys while at it since I misplaced mine.  They no longer have any of the keys.  Had a long discussion with Ruger New Hampshire.  Began the additional research for my own knowledge.  Hopefully these posts provided some insight. 

@Pb Mark Thanks.  I knew that Ruger no longer supported some of their product lines. I bought a pair of  ROAs. One of them has 3 oversized chambers in the cylinder. A .457 round ball will slide forward under recoil firing it with even mild CAS loads. 

Ruger has no parts so they cannot fix it. Now I have 3 ROAs with one being a parts gun.

Wolff springs has reduced power springs for New Model Vaqueros. The same spring works with or without the  internal locks. Give them a call they have great customer service.

If you need a key I think I have a couple extras laying around. I'll send you one if you need it.

SD - thanks for the offer of help.  I'm good with the guns now.  Yep, similar to your ROA, I have a 1992 Super Blackhawk that doesn't shoot lead accurately due to wobbled cylinders.  Haven't fixed it yet but found a machine shop / barrel blank maker in South Dakota that can rent me the cylinder hones and forcing cone reamer tools and will get to it one of these days.

I do know of something regarding the 38/357 JM/Remlin Marlins that I have not been able to verify.  There is supposedly someone in Europe somewhere that is building a properly dimensioned and heat treated, billet stainless steel carrier for Marlin 357 1894's.  Who is he, is he a SASS member, is it real or a scam???  If for real, this knowledge could help keep some Marlin 94's running.  My carrier is soft metallurgy, Will not last.  Lever snail was radiused when purchased new many years ago.  A drop in quality carrier would sure be nice!

Hello again "Widder"

This is the original web site to look at for the billet carrier and information about how it is made, etc.  Very interesting.  

Hopefully SASS moderators keep this thread up for a while.

0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Rockton Rustler said:
On 10/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

For all concerned:

A few years back in 2016, when many of the earlier 'Remlins' were being returned to the factory because of various issues,

supposedly Remington ended up buying some of their 1894's back from dissatisfied customers.

I don't know this for a fact, but here's what I do know as a fact.....

Remington (which still maintained a Marlin office in the N. Carolina) offered their employee's an 1894 in .38/.357 at a price of $300.

Those rifles, as I was informed by one of those employees who bought one of them, were "previously owned and FIXED

RIGHT" and that is why they were offered to employees at such a low price.

And now the rest of the story:   I agreed with that employee to work on her rifle because it was still terrible.   It took me

some great efforts just to make it run descent.  And it took me even MORE effort to make it CAS competitive.

The timing on it was bad (the carrier ramp had to be built up),  and even the carrier plunger stud had to be replaced.

Final comment:   when purchasing an early Remlin in .38/.357, proceed with caution.

The first Remlin I worked on had an issue with the mag tube follower and spring protruding out onto the carrier

when the rifle was trying to cycle the LAST ROUND from the mag tube.

Someone had drilled the front of the portal hole straight thru into the receiver and did not 'funnel' the front of the Portal

to stop the mag tube follower.   In other words, the mag tube follower and spring was coming out onto the carrier just like

it was another round....... and needless to say, the action won't work when the mag tube spring in pushing out into

the receiver.

..........Widder

Ruger will never sell the NOS parts even to third parties?

7 hours ago, Doc Marks said:

Ruger will never sell the NOS parts even to third parties?

Found this on the current Marlin website.

PRE-RUGER MANUFACTURED RIFLES

We do not have the parts, equipment, or expertise required to service existing, pre-Ruger, Marlin firearms and we cannot honor any warranty offered by the Remington Outdoor Company. We hope you understand the constraints that limit our ability to service firearms made prior to our acquisition.

If your Pre-Ruger-made Marlin firearm requires immediate repair or service, we recommend that you stop using it and contact a competent local gunsmith. You can also locate the independent service center closest to you listed below. These independent service centers can help you with your ongoing repair and service requirements. Please note that Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is not affiliated with these service centers and we offer their contact information as a courtesy only. As such, you will need to work directly with the particular service center to arrange for payment of any charges associated with the service or repair. We recommend that you have a clear understanding of any charges before authorizing the work.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/customerService/#three

8 minutes ago, Doc Marks said:

Yeah I’ve seen that.  It still isn’t clear to me what will become of the parts inventory Ruger acquired from legacy models.  

Given all the know issues with spare parts requiring a lot of fitment, I suspect that Ruger either didn't buy or if they did buy, keep any spare parts when they acquired Marlin.

The improved design 357 carriers CAN be purchased and shipped to the US.  They are similar to the ones Brownell's used to sell.

The gunsmith who builds them contact information is:

Mike Collins

www.mikethegun.co.uk

phone 07779 236275

To order one of these above carriers, the contact for purchase the contact information is:

Jim at www.marlinspares.com  

In Europe, most of the Marlin parts are available to their public.  I find it curious and did not question it, but none of these spare parts at www.marlinspares.com are allowed to be shipped from the EU to the United States except for the improved 1894 357 carrier.  Just the facts.

Ruger situation:

When I read the sale agreement, part of the cash sale agreement (the lawyers' agreement) prevents Ruger from selling or transferring any of the spare parts, equipment, or from servicing any of the Marlin or Remlin built guns.  The agreement did say Ruger acquired everything. The only better clarification of this will probably need to come from an attorney or upper management at Ruger.  One of the Ruger lawyers might be able to tell the SASS world if there is a sunset agreement that would allow parts transfer to some place like Numrich in the future.  Maybe someone here knows an upper manager or lawyer at Ruger?  

On 10/27/2022 at 5:34 PM, Ozark Huckleberry said:

They are worth what you can get. 

If the right buyer comes along, you can get more than that are worth. 

To check current markets, one way is to get a Gunbroker account, and search for current closed auctions to see what those guns actually brought. 

I wouldn't say Gunbroker is current market values. Even looking at what they brought unless you are willing to go threw the hassle of Gunbroker you more than likely aren't going to get that inflated price. 

Archived