SASS Wire Forum

FCD

PrairieDogPete

Looing to start shooting BP FCD or GF in the next year and would like advice.

Currently reloading 38 spl on a Dillon 750. What powders are suggested and what would I need to change to load these?

Thanks!

Adjust your powder measure to throw at least enough 3F Triple 7 or 3F APP (American Pioneer Powder) to equal a 1 cc scoop of the same powders and use your existing bullets, etc.  No special lube, etc.  I personally use a little more to get to the bottom of the bullet.  You do not need to compress it like black powder.

Lumpy has the ticket!  Cleanup is just good hot water and a wipedown with Ballistol.

I use a lubed fiber wad sometimes for a little prevention from fouling, but it isn’t really necessary. You can do just as well with a little spritz of Ballistol between stages if fouling becomes a problem.

I’ve tried all of the BP substitutes, but none of them gives me that real Black Powder feel and smoke.

I'm in the APP Camp.  No lubricants needed although if you're shooting bullets with smokeless crayon lube, APP doesn't care.  Clean-Up is simple with Water.  Although I do use PAM.  Simple load recipe as well.  APP to the base of the bullet and crimp.

Before putting your press away. Be sure to clean it really well. Use a can of compressed air and make sure you remove any spilt powder or dust. Especially around the shell plate. 

Remove the powder measure and the powder funnel. Remove the charge bar from the powder measure and then clean everything well with hot soapy water. Use a soft bristle brush to clean the area where the charge bar slides, the inside of the powder funnel, and the drop tube of the powder measure. You don't need to completely disassemble the powder measure all you need to do is clean the areas exposed to powder. Rinse well and then dry. 

DO NOT use oil or grease anywhere that powder flows. Use a dry film lubricant ( I like Hornady One-Shot gun lube) and apply a light coat to the inside and outside of the powder funnel. This will keep it from rusting. Once you are sure everything is dry reassemble. 

Get some cap guns, use real bp 3F and throw away those gay suppository guns!  Shoot like a real man!

Shooters World BP substitute is another suitable sub.  Avoid Pyrodex.  Hodgdon approves loading Triple Seven with powder measures.  I am at Bordertown shooting real black powder in my handguns, Triple Seven in my rifle and Black MZ in my shotgun.  They all work.  APP is the most used propellant by CAS darksiders at matches I attend.  My wife prefers it and I load it for her.

The subs are more available at local retail because they are propellants and not explosives.  Some Wal*Marts stock Triple Seven for muzzleloader hunting season.  My local Sportsman’s Warehouse had some in stock recently.

I shoot Missouri Bullets BP-lubed bullets in my handguns but cast and lube Big Lube bullets for my rifle.

If you are shooting 38s or 357s, load APP, Shooters World Black, or Triple 7 so that it just touches the base of the bullet.

Load real black so that you get about 1/8" compression. Either way be sure you have a good crimp

While you can use any weight of bullet you'll have fewer issues with fouling in the action with at least 125 gr bullets. If your rifle chamber is overly generous step the bullet weight up to 158 grains. A tight crimp and/or heavier bullet will raise chamber pressures which will prevent blow by into the action.

I've watch shooters try to game the BP categories  by running the bare minimum only to have issues with blow by fouling up the action. If you are having to constantly clean the chamber between stages or constantly having to spray the action to keep the carrier from sticking your loads are too light.

Same goes for your pistols. 

Come over to the Dark Side, you'll have more fund and besides we have cookies. :) 

While I prefer real BP I will sometimes shoot APP in the rifle.  It is the most popular BP sub because it is so simple.  It leaves less fouling in the barrel and so cleans quickly, and most importantly you just use your regular smokeless bullets, coated or not.  The main downside for me compared to BP is the lack of flame and it is a little less boomy, but most people don't notice that.  I'm not crazy about the smell, but others dislike the sulfer smell of BP.   I think brass corrodes more quickly with APP than BP, but in either case you want to rinse it sooner than later, with almost anything wet (water with some dish soap is good - there's about 1000 other methods that also work).

Archived