SASS Wire Forum

Aerial shot of the Panamint Range in California

Subdeacon Joe

Aerial shot of the Panamint Range in California, USA. The rock formations of Panamint Range which adjoin the famous Death Valley in California – geologist call such structures flatirons - are a result of tectonic movement and weathering. The originally horizontal rocks were tilted during the orogenesis. Later water carved valleys in them, creating these unusual patterns.
Das berühmte "Tal des Todes" in Kalifornien wird im Westen vom bis zu 3300 m hohen Gebirgszug der Panamint Range begrenzt - hier eine Luftaufnahme aus der Flanke des Gebirges. Die steilen Gesteinsschichten sind ein Werk der Verwitterung und Erosion. Die ursprünglich horizontal abgelagerten Schichten wurden während der Gebirgsbildung gekippt. Später dann spülte ablaufendes Regenwasser steile Täler in die Bergflanken. Die spitz zulaufenden Formen werden von den Geologen als "Flat Irons", als Bügeleisen, bezeichnet.

Back in the late 1950's, in an, i believe, a 1955ish Jaguar XK hardtop, my parents and I drove up to Panamint City! We spent a couple hours wandering the ruins, had a picnic and then headed home. I remember Mom freaking out when we went through the narrowest section with a babbling stream running merrily down the dirt/rock road. 

The Flatirons just west of Boulder, Colorado, near the University of Colorado.  Folks climb them.  One of my dormitory mates fell to his death during an attempt.

237170063_ScreenShot2022-10-28at9_08_38AM.png.7c9a2b34c1a941b2bc6d85f87bf3827b.png

Archived