SASS Wire Forum

ESCAPE #1 ACCOMPLISHED

Utah Bob #35998

Reported for jury duty yesterday afternoon. Evert time I’ve been called in the past the trial has been cancelled. They are usually civil disputes or misdemeanor cases here, and 1day trials. I have plane tickets for Hawaii on Friday. But yesterday there was an unusually large jury pool. The case is a homicide from 2021. 

Fortunately I was excused after we turned in our jurist questionnaire but I was sweating a bit.

So having escaped that with mixed emotions, I would have liked to serve but it would have been very expensive, I am now finalizing my plans to escape this chilly weather and hit the beach like Andy Dufresne. 

Except on the Kaanapali beach in Maui, not Mexico. :D

With your law enforcement background, I would find it very unlikely they would let you serve on any criminal jury.  I got thrown out of a jury pool on a DUI case.  I told the judge I would be glad to serve and I had the whole week available, no charge.  They wouldn't even consider it.

34 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Does your county have an age exemption?  Here it's 70, if you want to be excused.

No

34 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

With your law enforcement background, I would find it very unlikely they would let you serve on any criminal jury.  I got thrown out of a jury pool on a DUI case.  I told the judge I would be glad to serve and I had the whole week available, no charge.  They wouldn't even consider it.

Yeah. I have always been dumped. But with the large justly pool by the time they get to you the attorneys might be out of challenges. Then it’s up to the judge. In Florida the county I was in had a list of LEOs and you were automatically excused.

38 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

With your law enforcement background, I would find it very unlikely they would let you serve

Yeah.  For a number of years I got called regularly.  Never served on a tort liability case after they found out I was a business insurance agent.

I was in a Jury pool for a murder trial a few years ago. The handed out a questionnaire. When it got to the part where they asked about groups or organizations I belonged to, I put down the NRA, Gunowners of America, and the Single Action Shooting Society. 

Never heard back from them. 

9 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I was in a Jury pool for a murder trial a few years ago. The handed out a questionnaire. When it got to the part where they asked about groups or organizations I belonged to, I put down the NRA, Gunowners of America, and the Single Action Shooting Society. 

Never heard back from them. 

Same here only I had CRPA - California Rifle & Pistol Assoc., not GOA. The DA cut me loose. 

The best move I ever made was serving on a Grand Jury in Oregon. I sure learned a lot that month. Service was one month. Five days a week. Great experience. 

I used to get called every three years or so.

Last time I was called, I had booked a cruise. 

I saw the court clerk, with the paid receipts, tickets etc. and was excused.

That was over thirty years ago and I haven't been called since, even though I'm retired.

The last time I was called it was for the only murder in town in decades. They were unable to seat a jury, Dove Creek being such a small town everybody knew or was related to either the victim, defendant or sheriff. Had to move the trial to Durango.  :D

I get called to jury duty every year, this year being the exception.

In the past my employment history with the Sheriff's Department as a cvilian employee usually got me a pass.

Last year the county clerk told me " If I have to serve, you have to serve".

Guess she forgot.

I've only been called twice that I actually had to report for a trial. Both times I was an alternate. Both times when the jury went for deliberation, I was excused and got to leave. Never knew the outcome but I saw the presiding judge at the county fair several months later as he was running for reelection. I asked him if he remembered the case. He did and I finally learned the outcome. 

If you're channeling Andy, I'll channel Ellis Redding. So, hide some money and directions in a cigar box, leave me some clues and I'll join you in Maui. I'll even help you wth repairs on your boat.  ;)

6 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Seems my dog eats my jury summons every time one shows up.

In NV when you reach 70 no more jury summons from a state court.  I served on one jury a couple years after moving to NV.  Last year I received request from the Federal court in Reno.  Filled out a questionnaire online.  I haven't received any correspondence since then.

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

If you're channeling Andy, I'll channel Ellis Redding. So, hide some money and directions in a cigar box, leave me some clues and I'll join you in Maui. I'll even help you wth repairs on your boat.  ;)

Not be repaired. They’re just a hole in the water you pour money into. ;)

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I got the same thing. Dog ate it. I especially like how it threatened to arrest me if I didn't respond to the form. Come get me.

Some judges will issue a bench warrant if you fail to appear for jury duty. That warrant will sit quietly in the system till you get stopped for something like a traffic ticket. When the officer runs your name in the system up pops the outstanding warrant and off to jail you go.

The inconvenience of being arrested and hauled to jail possibly for a few days if it happens Friday evening, is is very effective at ensuring that people comply with the next jury summons. 

Archived