SASS Wire Forum

Plastic waste into Food For Military

PowderRiverCowboy

Yep , you read that right

It’s edible, the stuff being produced in Stephen Techtmann’s lab. Or it’s meant to be.

It doesn’t smell bad, he said, a bit like a yeast extract or the Australian food spread Vegemite.

But he hasn’t tasted it. First, he wants to know it’s safe, free from anything that might be toxic. It is, after all, made from plastic.

Techtmann, a microbiologist at Michigan Technological University, and collaborators from Michigan Tech and the University of Illinois, are in the midst of a project that seems half-miraculous: turning plastic waste into edible protein.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/10/michigan-tech-researchers-are-turning-plastic-waste-into-food-for-the-us-military.html

Plastic is made from oil so I guess it can be made edible. I interesting.

BTW the link says page not found

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Plastic is made from oil so I guess it can be made edible. I interesting.

BTW the link says page not found

There's all kinds of oil. Vegetable oil and mineral oil.

I know of no plastic being made from vegetable oil. As far as I know it's made from petroleum, and I was unaware of petroleum being edible.

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I know of no plastic being made from vegetable oil. As far as I know it's made from petroleum, and I was unaware of petroleum being edible.

They're call bioplastics. 

Microbes Convert Cooking Oil to Plastics

Most plastics are not made directly from oil but are made out of the waste byproducts that result when crude oil is refined. Plastics arose out of the desire to make a profit from that waste.

30 years from now there will be a new cancer. Just like 15 years from now there will be a new virulent fatal lung cancer from all the Vapers inhaling heated glycerine based oils. 

I see it as a great new innovative product.

Like Agent Orange

It makes sense to try it on the military.

75 years ago they would try it on prisoners, but that abuses their civil rights. Military ain't got no civil rights.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Where does petroleum come from? The ground ! It’s called fossil fuels so it was alive at one time. No you can’t eat petroleum but they probably can process it to make it edible. 

Another source of income for big pharma. This will create a disease that will need new medicines, for us to buy at inflated prices for the rest of our lives. 

My science books, back in elementary school, said: "you are what you eat".

I never envisioned I might become a plastic milk carton. 

This is so stupid. Just eat real food, naturally put together, and not something artificially put together. Gee Whizzy!!! 

6 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

But will it taste like chicken ?

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Utah BOB!!

NO!!  It'll taste like SNAKE!!

........ Vegemite apparently, (which has just lost some, but not all, of its' appeal ......  :blush:

Petroleum is not the only raw item to make plastic. Coal, cellulose, natural gas, and yes, even salt. Process is a polymerization and polycondensation process. 

Polymerization is were small molecules are chemically to produce a network, plastic. polymer or resin.

Polycondensation is just chemical condensation is used to produce a connecting network, polymer, a plastic or resin.

After working in these units, I wouldn't eat the product no matter what.

What's next, "Soylent Green"?

Archived