SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman ammo belt

Will Kane

Does anyone use an ammo belt, expressly designed for Plainsman, that holds both 45-70 rounds and 12 gauge shotshells? If so, I’d be interested in looking at a photo of it.

Thanks.

I've been using a slide from FleaBay on my shotgun belt. It was made for 10, 45-70. It works, but is pretty large. I think I'd like to try a slide made for 45 colt, but most only hold 6, which is usually enough.

I’ve thought about trying a bandolier for Plainsman. 

57 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I've considered getting one for main match shooting. A couple of our friends seem to have good luck with them.

I don’t have a plainsman ammo belt, but I have had good luck with both Jax Leather and JM Leather when it comes to custom order canvas belts. Figure out where you want your loops and what caliber, and they build exactly what you want. 

http://www.jaxleather.com/Canvas Products.htm

http://www.jm-leather.com/canvas_belt.htm

I'm a leather maker and have made numerous specialized leather and canvas belts.  Currently I'm not working because of health issues, but I can recommend a top-notch shop that custom makes historical pieces that have been use in many movies.  They are excellent people and a pleasure to do business with.  Give them a call.  I'm sure they can make you exactly what you want.

Cavalry Holster Gun Belts Civil War Western Holsters Cowboy Belt (carricoleather.com)

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

1 hour ago, Will Kane said:

I've considered getting one for main match shooting. A couple of our friends seem to have good luck with them.

Mernickle Holsters had a great looking double Bandolier holster rig that I would love to try, but not quite at $700! They also do custom Bandoliers w/ shot and shell loops.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/

Capt. George Baylor wrote an article for the SASS Chronicle about Mernickles custom Shotgun and rifle belt with military grade elastic loops. He had one made for plainsman with 12guage and 38/55 loops. Saw him use it at Bordertown a couple of years ago. Smooth and easy to use. The shells just slid out easily.

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

Compadre, if you wear a bandolero you will need a stylish charro hat with a wiiide brim a to go with it! …and maybe a second bandolero to wear across the first one… 

7 hours ago, Will Kane said:

Luck? Compadre, the only luck I seem to have is with the ladies … and by that I mean lucky for my marriage! 

19 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

Compadre, if you wear a bandolero you will need a stylish charro hat with a wiiide brim a to go with it! …and maybe a second bandolero to wear across the first one… 

I’d have to change my alias. El Caballo Gordo!

7 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Mernickle Holsters had a great looking double Bandolier holster rig that I would love to try, but not quite at $700! They also do custom Bandoliers w/ shot and shell loops.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/

I started with a pair of custom bandos made in Mexico to wear crossed on my chest one for shot-shells  and one for .38’s… then @Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 let me try her new Mernickle bando and i was hooked! That let me experiment with my original shotshell bando and i converted it to plainsman bando… I just inserted a 45 slide. Then i can slide it down if im shooting rifle first or up if shooting shotgun first … of course leave it El Catorce to forget it at home during Land Run lol

A65AFCA5-FF71-404D-B6BB-240CCD8EBBB1.jpeg

3F669670-96D8-4209-BC4D-425623E69C90.jpeg

9E392CE8-18E6-4F79-BC52-C249AD31288D.jpeg

My rifle ammo fits neatly in my vest pocket.. right where my hand as I drop the lever on  the LowWall... Shotshells in the slide over the pistol belt keeps them where muscle memory sez they are!

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’d have to change my alias. El Caballo Gordo!

Boy, I haven't heard that word "Gordo" since the 70's:) when one of my Spanish customers refered to himself as " El Gordo" and he for sure was!

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yep I use a Bandoleer all the time [Tupelo ]...so for Plainsman  I added some elastic  loops for the 38-55 near the bottom of the Bandoleer where it joins at the hip. I suppose it would work with 45-70's..you would leave a few shotgun loops empty as the 45-70 bullets can get in the way when grabbing for  the shotgun shells. I have 7 loops for the 38-55.I am a RH but should work ok with a LH shooter as well.

Archived