SASS Wire Forum

my rifle farted

Irish Pat

I had a “squib” on the first rifle shot on the last stage of our Louisiana championship this past weekend. I was shooting pretty good till then, 2 misses in 9 stages, one caused when cylinder rod sled forward!  My rifle “farted” the bullet hung in the barrel and that was 10 misses! It definitely sounded like that to me. Irish ☘️ Pat sass 19486

At least it was the last stage of the Championship. You can always subtract 50 seconds from your final score and see where you "could" have placed and feel good about that.

I really hate it when I have a very poor first stage, the rest of the day(s) seem wasted, and it can mess with the rest of the match. I saw this at Land's Run this year.

thats very disappointing , i hope its the only one you have from that reload session [or was that some kind of purchased factory load? ] i did have a similar situation this year so i know of what you speak , not fun , 

Being deathly afraid of squibs and having had a few, I now batch charge all my cases into a 50 round loading block visually inspect all for powder being present and at the same level before I start seating the bullets, seat the 50 batch charged the second 50 visually inspect for powder presences and proper level seat bullets repeat until sufficient rounds are loaded.

I accept that sometimes you need a good vent, and those small things that go wrong is also part of the game. I remember at our trophy match last year I was telling someone I was looking forward to running my new rifle. He kinda told me how silly it was to try a new gun out at a trophy match. IMO that was a bit a intellectual fornication on his part. Karma visited him on the second last stage, his rifle broke on the second or third shot. Another shooter beat him out for the trophy. I wasn't a contender anyways, I'm too slow and I just make mistakes if I try to go fast, but I did smile a bit at his misfortune. Not a good character trait, my bad, but I did enjoy that moment. My rifle worked fine and I had fun.

One comment on 231, a pretty decent pistol powder, but it is one of the denser ones. I sorted the powders on the LEE VMD list, 231 is even denser than Unique and you use less of it. I got some ammo loaded with 231 in a buy, and did chrono it to check how well it works. The load was 3.7 gr of 231 and a 158 gr bullet in a 38 spl Federal case and probably a CCI primer. I did detect a bit of an ignition issue with the powder rearward but not enough to alarm me or prevent me from shooting it. IMNSHO a chronograph is a very important accessory for the reloader.  

Being so dense you really have to look down the case to see the powder before seating the bullet. Unfortunately with the recent shortages, powder choices are rather restricted. I had to move beyond Trail Boss, and was rather annoyed to have to change powders after all the load development I'd done. But I did learn that Trail Boss is pretty high on the dirty scale. I found a cleaner burning powder that gave me as good or even better performance. This game is not boring. 

I ramble, my bad. 

BB 

Archived