SASS Wire Forum

Folks I've known from SASS

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I just read the names in Utah Bob's wonderful SASS Memorial and  Veteran's Pages (Thank you, Bob).  I have no idea how many names are on those two sites, but I was startled by how many of them I "knew" from conversations on the SASS wire and over on CAS City, and how many I had spoken to on the phone, and the large number I had  known (and still do know) in person and become close friends with.....and the vast number I have read on line or heard about from others but never had any personal contact with.

In close to forty years the number is  staggering and the number who have passed on or simply disappeared is truly sobering.

I appreciate all of them, and all of you who are still among us.  My life would have been much less full and enjoyable without all of those CAS folks on it.  Thank you one and all.

In rereading this I discovered that I had posted it on the Wire instead of in the Saloon.  Would one of the moderators be good enough to move it for me?  Thank you.

I want to add to what Forty Rod has said, coming from another directer.  As you can see from my SASS number, I've been around for a long time.  I entered a lot of matches in the Mid-Atlantic states, and the outfit I am wearing in my avatar is also the outfit I wore in SASS matches, in case you think it looks familiar.

I had competed for years, but in 2009 things in life started rising up to keep me from competing.  It started with employment issues like a job loss and then being the new guy on the job and not being able to get time off  to attened distant matches.  Then health issues started cropping up that raised serious concerns about being able to safely take part in the matches.

Then one day I got an inspiration and wrote to the Match Director of the Pennsylvania State Championshp   I explained that I had competed in this match previously but beause of my health and employment issues I hadn't been able to take part for a number of years.  I asked if I could just come up to hang around the cowboys during the match and attend the dinners.  I said I wasn't looking for a free ride and would be happy to pay for my dinners.

Everyone at this match could not have been more accommodating and welcoming.  I wasn't in the clubhouse Friday night when people I hadn't seen in years came up to welcome me back.

So from my experience, my suggestion is if you haven't competed for a long time, get out your costume and go back to the matches you used to compete in. Sign up as a "conventioneer" or some other non-shooting attendee.  Hang around, watch the events a little bit, and go to the banquets.   Even if you haven't competed in years, I think you will find people who missed you and will be glad to see you.  This is  what the Cowboy Way is about.

I often wish photos in the Chronicle had names just to see some you folks.

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I often wish photos in the Chronicle had names just to see some you folks.

The Chronicle post pics that are submitted to them. Unfortunately they are usually sent without captions. :(

Every now and then a name will pop into my head and get to pondering on it.  Many are gone: Boston John Ducette, Allie Mo, Suzy Silk Knickers, Blondetta, Anne Lee Independent, Tennessee Stud, Cherokee Cat House Kate, Greeenriver (with three 'e's together and one more at the end) and scores upon scores of others

On 10/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Utah Bob's wonderful SASS Memorial and  Veteran's Pages (Thank you, Bob).

How did I miss this post & how can I see it?

If you are referring to the Veterans site and the Vets site, they are two different entities.  Because my idiotic electric whizbang geewhiz wonder magic gizmo is on the blink, I can't tell you how to get to them.  Maybe someone can post the address and, while they are at it, CAN SOMEONE TELLME HOW TO FIX THIS  h&$#m**7!B(?""% @ MACHINE!

Lotta folks missed. Sixgun Shorty has dropped in a time or two after an absence of years; so has Nubbins Colt. They were once great regulars.

Texas Man was one of my favorites with his sometimes hair-raising personal tales of the border. He was up there in years even years back, though, and was gone.

Many others come to mind...

On 10/27/2022 at 4:09 PM, MizPete said:

How did I miss this post & how can I see it?

http://lazybobranch.homestead.com/Angels.html

http://sassvets.homestead.com/

Lots of vets and shooters have passed on or missed the boat because they weren't submitted to Bob.   Some chose NOT to submit their info for whatever reason.  I don't understand their reasoning, but respect their decisions.

I put my name on the vet site because I am proud on my military service.  I went to school, earned a commission in the Army, and did a good job under terrible circumstances.

Then I got out, gave being a civilian a try and failed at it, so I went back into uniform with the Marine Corps.  Again, I did a good job under much better circumstances and left for personal reasons.

If you vets qualify you should submit your info to Bob and get your name on the board, too.

I'm not bragging (well, maybe I am, too) but too many people go unnoticed in their lives for things they have done.  Not only in the Armed Forces, but in every walk of life.

IF you don't tell your story it may never be told, and you'll vanish into the dark, cold cellar of history.  Better to have apge in the book of life, even if you have to write it yourself.

I hope when I'm gone someone will add me to the memorial site.

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Lots of vets and shooters have passed on or missed the boat because they weren't submitted to Bob.   Some chose NOT to submit their info for whatever reason.  I don't understand their reasoning, but respect their decisions.

I put my name on the vet site because I am proud on my military service.  I went to school, earned a commission in the Army, and did a good job under terrible circumstances.

Then I got out, gave being a civilian a try and failed at it, so I went back into uniform with the Marine Corps.  Again, I did a good job under much better circumstances and left for personal reasons.

If you vets qualify you should submit your info to Bob and get your name on the board, too.

I'm not bragging (well, maybe I am, too) but too many people go unnoticed in their lives for things they have done.  Not only in the Armed Forces, but in every walk of life.

IF you don't tell your story it may never be told, and you'll vanish into the dark, cold cellar of history.  Better to have apge in the book of life, even if you have to write it yourself.

I hope when I'm gone someone will add me to the memorial site.

Thank you for all your service 40.

I noticed Allie Mo missing from the list.

There are a lot that never got on any of the lists, some because no one thought (or knew) to submit them, some of their own choice, some because there wasn't any documentation, and some who just fell through the cracks.

If you know of anyone who fits either category please do what you can to get them listed.

NOTE TO UTAH BOB: I apologize for possibly causing you more work, but I don'w anyone else who can do it.  Thanks for your "invention" and care of both sites.

On 10/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, MizPete said:

Cammie!!! Have missed you & Stumpy.

Thanks.

Weren't Jake Slade & Wyatt E veterans?

We miss y'all too!  We meant to show up at the range Saturday but got busy with other things.  I don't know about Jake Slade or Wyatt.

Archived