SASS Wire Forum

Empties to the Front

Texas Red

To the Fire....

Uberti 73'  32-20 Rifle....All brass goes to the front of shooter  (me).   My 73' 44 WCF brass goes on my hat....Any adjustments or modifications to carrier need to be done.  Lose a lot of brass to front of stage where brass pickers can't go during match

Any Help and Knowledge is Appreciated.

Regards

Texas Red

Ejection is a function of the extractor pulling the case out of the chamber and the carrier block knocking it out of the gun.  You might try increasing or decreasing the tension on the extractor.  I’ve never tried to “tune” an extractor to adjust where the brass fell.

Also check the tab on the lower bolt face to make sure it isn’t beat up.  The newer Uberties bolts have a removable tab (I think).  Mine are all older ones with the tab milled in the bolt.  Be careful if you try to fix it, the tab on the older rifles is very easy to break off and the gun won’t work without it.

32-20 is my favorite caliber for CAS, the attached photos are my “accumulation” of 32-20s.

C2A62C57-E541-4C08-81C4-8366529D7C76.jpeg

8E91C1E8-DFEF-4D3F-8B6C-419E0AC0F52B.jpeg

Where a toggle link rifle (1860, 1866, 1873) ejects brass is determined by the shape of the top of the carrier. Specifically when and where the bottom of the rim hits the carrier as it is extracted from the chamber.

Wish I could tell you how to modify it to change where it pitches the brass but alas, tuning a carrier seems to be a black art. 

It is common for Miroku '73's to throw brass forward, and I've seen some carrier mods that can help that:

I don't know if that would help with your Uberti but might be worth a try.  Also, is the rifle short-stroked?  My .357 carbine started throwing brass more forward after I put in a short stroke kit.  It is a matter of timing - I think the carrier is now rising a little quicker and therefore hitting the brass a tad earlier in the extraction/ejection process.  But hey, they're just old mixed .38's.  Losing a bunch of ..32's would be a bummer!  I would also check that the extractor is not getting loose.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Ejection is a function of the extractor pulling the case out of the chamber and the carrier block knocking it out of the gun.  You might try increasing or decreasing the tension on the extractor.  I’ve never tried to “tune” an extractor to adjust where the brass fell.

Also check the tab on the lower bolt face to make sure it isn’t beat up.  The newer Uberties bolts have a removable tab (I think).  Mine are all older ones with the tab milled in the bolt.  Be careful if you try to fix it, the tab on the older rifles is very easy to break off and the gun won’t work without it.

32-20 is my favorite caliber for CAS, the attached photos are my “accumulation” of 32-20s.

C2A62C57-E541-4C08-81C4-8366529D7C76.jpeg

8E91C1E8-DFEF-4D3F-8B6C-419E0AC0F52B.jpeg

Nice!!!  I love my 32-20's for SASS. I have a set of Taylor Uberti 1873 Cattleman pistols, and a '73 Uberti, Browning 53, and original Winchester 1892 rifles.

Brushy Creek Bill did my rifle work. He also owns the range where the Texas Riviera Pistoleros shoots. I tease him all the time about tuning the rifles so the brass goes downrange, where he picks it up after the match:D

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My Marlin like to throw them forward as well.

I've seen Marlins do this - all right out in front of the stage. All our many Marlins drop out to side.  I noticed a couple of stages yesterday where most of my 44WCF cases were within a foot at my right foot. 

Mr. Widder helped mine alot, they go out towards 2:00 now. If I remember to stand back a tad, I get most back, but if stand right up to the prop they will go thru the window. I now just accept it as a Marlin thing! My hat stays clean though:D

6 hours ago, Texas Red said:

To the Fire....

Uberti 73'  32-20 Rifle....All brass goes to the front of shooter  (me).   My 73' 44 WCF brass goes on my hat....Any adjustments or modifications to carrier need to be done.  Lose a lot of brass to front of stage where brass pickers can't go during match

Any Help and Knowledge is Appreciated.

Regards

Texas Red

Years ago, my '73 .357/.38 was doing the same thing and someone on the Wire suggested removing the dust cover. I don't know how, but it improved things, but did not totally eliminate the problem. An easy thing to try.

Don't lose track of those little parts - especially the little detent BB.

40 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Mr. Widder helped mine alot, they go out towards 2:00 now. If I remember to stand back a tad, I get most back, but if stand right up to the prop they will go thru the window. I now just accept it as a Marlin thing! My hat stays clean though:D

As a brass picker, I will tell Marlin shooters to either stand back from the table/shelf a little and/or to the left side of it so less brass goes outside.  Sometimes they listen but usually not. :)

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

As a brass picker, I will tell Marlin shooters to either stand back from the table/shelf a little and/or to the left side of it so less brass goes outside.  Sometimes they listen but usually not. :)

No no don't tell them anything it makes our Job easier. :ph34r:

I used to shoot a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 in Cody Dixon.  More than one brass picker showed me the neat little pile of brass. At about 4 o’clock. Could have covered it with a handkerchief 

Thankfully, my 38-40 Uberti short rifle that Lefty Wheeler built seems to deposit most of my spent rounds (and the jacked ones too) right behind my right foot. Very nice!

On 10/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Not the video I was looking for but 6 and half minutes into it I'm shooting a Marlin 1894c.  Watch the cases come out to right uniformity. 

That extractor is not recommended for a Carty/Spur Marlin action job.

On 10/24/2022 at 2:04 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

My Marlin has a 24" barrel and when I shoot it, I stand about a step and a half back from the stage window so just the end of the barrel is through the window.  I get all my brass back almost all of the time.

On 10/26/2022 at 4:13 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Where'd you get a derringer in .32-20?

I special ordered it from American Derringer in Waco Texas.  Here are a few more photos.

A292DEDE-3D3F-4DF3-B728-F2C88039F23B.jpeg

003BBDC7-4F71-43D4-BF8D-D1104D6617F6.jpeg

A28F200B-90B1-41BC-A86D-8DB14E899F18.jpeg

32BB2160-6D6C-4C0E-9266-097E71413CF7.jpeg

On 10/24/2022 at 6:45 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Not the video I was looking for but 6 and half minutes into it I'm shooting a Marlin 1894c.  Watch the cases come out to right uniformity. 

I haven't tried the sure claw, currently running the RPP extractor. It works pretty well, but hard to keep clean and working with BP. Going to try annealed brass next year as I'm running 45colts. Thanks for the vid.

Archived