SASS Wire Forum

Is this because it's electrical or because it's digital?

Alpo

I have a coffee pot. Scratch that - I have a coffee maker. And it has a clock and a timer. I have never used the timer. I suppose if I needed to be up at a certain time every day to get dressed and go to work, then it would be nice to have the pot full of coffee waiting on me when I make it out to the kitchen. But since I am retarded, I get up when I wake up, and I make a pot of coffee when I feel like I need coffee, whether that is 6:00 in the morning or 10:30 in the morning or 7:00 at night.

Last night as I was making supper, I started a pot of coffee. When I finished supper I WENT to pour myself a cup. The pot was empty.

For a moment I thought that I had neglected to put the top on the pot, so the "handy dandy you can take the pot out and pour yourself a cup without it continuing to drip down on the burner" thingy was keeping all the hot water up in the basket. But I checked and it was in place. The burner was not hot. I pulled out the basket and the coffee was dry.

It apparently was not working.

I turned it off. Waited a few seconds and turned it back on. It still did not start. I turned it off and waited 10 minutes and turned it back on. It still did not start. I went and threw the breaker - damn thing is now COMPLETELY off. Turnedit back on and it still did not start.

So I have reached the conclusion that my coffee maker has bit the big one.

And I wonder if it would still be making coffee if it was nnot"digitally clock adjusted" whatever, but just had a simple on-off switch.

I started looking for a replacement, but my choices seem to be four cup or with a timer. I can't find a 10 or 12 cup pot that doesn't have a timer.

Fortunately I have instant, but that is not a good long-term solution.

Nope.  The poor thing's internal circuitry just went Tango Uniform.  Croak'd inna word.  Time for a new Coffee Maker.  Good luck in your search for something simple.  I don't know that "they" make anything like that anymore.

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

. But since I am retarded, I get up when I wake up, and I  

Sooooo Maaaany jokes...

We've gone to the pod coffee makers. No more coffee just getting stale or poured down the drain. So many choices as well although a bit pricey! We have gotten to like the "Rio Grande dark" from Ocean state. 80 pods for $24 and cheaper on sale. We also get the Green Mountain for flavored and decaff. Handy when you just want one cup and only takes a few seconds to brew.

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, pipe wrench or duct tape, you’ve got an electrical problem!

I hope you find a new one that you like. 

I keep a 4 cup drip coffee maker in the basement, and a 12 cup drip coffee maker in the kitchen cabinet, but the wife and I almost always use the Keurig.  No, I don't pay a dollar a pod.  Currently, I'm drinking Black Rifle Coffee, which is about 60 cents a pod.  Even the Starbucks is around 75 cents per pod.  There are several other brands that go well below 50 cents per pod, including a store brand called "Wide Awake" brand.  

At the office, we use a Mister Coffee 12 cup.  We replace it about every 12 to 18 months.  Cuisinart makes the best coffee maker I ever had, but it was dang near a hundred dollars, and I never got one to last more than 12 months.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I have never had a cup from a Keurig that I’d pay a dollar for. Never cups.

I've found with most pods, you need to make the medium size cup. With one I mentioned from Ocean State, the large is good and no cardboardy taste. We have 2 small off brand makers we use in the camper and they do well also, a Keurig at home. The French toast Green Mountain in a medium cup are good and the Folgers Colombian pods are decent. 

The timer likely nothing to do with your coffee pot failing.

99.99% of the time one of two parts is the culprit. Doesn't matter who made it or whether it is a dumb pot or a smart one. Those two parts are the heating element or the thermal fuse. 

Just got back from Wally World with a new Mr Coffee 12 cup $21.44. With a simple on-off switch.

I will have a problem for a while. With the programmable thing, which I never used, it's got an automatic turn off. After 2 hours it shuts off. No "it's been sitting on the burner all day long and has turned into tar" with that one. This new one will do that. Hopefully I can remember to turn it off. :P<_<

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Just got back from Wally World with a new Mr Coffee 12 cup $21.44. With a simple on-off switch.

I will have a problem for a while. With the programmable thing, which I never used, it's got an automatic turn off. After 2 hours it shuts off. No "it's been sitting on the burner all day long and has turned into tar" with that one. This new one will do that. Hopefully I can remember to turn it off. :P<_<

That coffee pot is is pretty effective training device for getting you to remember to turn it off. ;) 

A coffee story:

A couple of weeks ago while in elk hunting camp I was asked by someone half my age if I had a extension cord.  Now we are all in tents so I had to ask why?  For the Honda generator to run my Keurig.  So I commenced to educate the  young man that I was in the process of making some fine hot coffee and he was welcome to some but it was being brewed in a cordless antique aluminum pot that contained a coffee retention device.  Looking perplexed he agreed and followed me like a pup to my camp stove.  The coffee was perking, the smell wafted into the morning darkness and he just looked content as I poured.    In exchange for the coffee he shared  some magical Krispy Cremes.....a great start to a great day in elk camp.   Later that day I  further educated  him why my Featherweight Model 70 in 30-06 was the best rifle ever made.  Its a cowboy thing......

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

No more coffee just getting stale or poured down the drain. 

I don’t understand why someone would do such a thing. I may have nightmares tonight. I’ll need to go home and reassure my two drip makers, my espresso maker, my three French presses, and my pour over maker that everything is okay and I will never do such a dastardly thing.

8 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Sooooo Maaaany jokes...

You never heard the story the little boy told about his grandfather being retarded?

Joke of the Week
Retarded Grandparents

(This was actually reported by a teacher)

After Christmas, a teacher asked her young pupils how they spent their holiday away from school. One child wrote the following:

We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa. They used to live in a big brick house but Grandpa got retarded and they moved to Arizona.

Now they live in a tin box and have rocks painted green to look like grass.

They ride around on their bicycles and wear name tags because they don't know who they are anymore.

They go to a building called a wreck center, but they must have got it fixed because it is all okay now, they do exercises there, but they don't do them very well.

There is a swimming pool too, but they all jump up and down in it with hats on.

At their gate, there is a doll house with a little old man sitting in it. He watches all day so nobody can escape.

Sometimes they sneak out, and go cruising in their golf carts. Nobody there cooks, they just eat out.

And, they eat the same thing every night --- early birds.

Some of the people can't get out past the man in the doll house. The ones who do get out, bring food back to the wrecked center for pot luck.

My Grandma says that Grandpa worked all his life to earn his retardment and says I should work hard so I can be retarded someday too.

When I earn my retardment, I want to be the man in the doll house. Then I will let people out, so they can visit their grandchildren.

3 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

A coffee story:

A couple of weeks ago while in elk hunting camp I was asked by someone half my age if I had a extension cord.  Now we are all in tents so I had to ask why?  For the Honda generator to run my Keurig.  So I commenced to educate the  young man that I was in the process of making some fine hot coffee and he was welcome to some but it was being brewed in a cordless antique aluminum pot that contained a coffee retention device.  Looking perplexed he agreed and followed me like a pup to my camp stove.  The coffee was perking, the smell wafted into the morning darkness and he just looked content as I poured.    In exchange for the coffee he shared  some magical Krispy Cremes.....a great start to a great day in elk camp.   Later that day I  further educated  him why my Featherweight Model 70 in 30-06 was the best rifle ever made.  Its a cowboy thing......

My version.
Around middle of July 2009, Duncan's Mill CA, Civil War reenactmen.  I had my tent set, had the company street laid out, had cleared the ground for the cook fire (bare ground for a 10 foot radius from the fire), dug the trench for the fire and put up the spit, grate, etc.  had the fire going long enough to get good coals to cook my evening meal about half an hour before the Sun set.

Young man, very early 20s, drove up.  He was, if I recall, out of Bakersfield.  Had worked graveyard shift, gone home, loaded his gear and drove up.  Dog tired.  He got his gear unloaded and his truck out to the parking area and came slogging back as I was making my evening coffee.  I used a briki to make coffee for myself, and did the traditional bring the water, grounds, and sugar (I used Mexican piloncillo that I shaved off the cone with my knife) to boil, remove from heat, skim off the foam, pour some into your cup, bring back to boil for about half a minute, then pour the rest into your cup(s).  He remarked that he could really use that because of his work and drive.  So I dumped the grounds at the edge of the fire trench, rinsed the briki , got an extra cup out, and made him some.  He looked at it, sipped it, and his eyes got as big as the bore of a Napoleon.  "That's STRONG!" he said.  I took his cup, sipped, "No, that's about right."  I did take pity on him and shaved off more sugar, and even dug into my mess chest and broached the evaporated milk (even had take the modern Carnation label off and pasted on a period correct Borden label). Ended up making one more for each of us.  He allowed that it might have been some of the best coffee he had ever had.  I don't know if it was just that his need for it was so great or if it really was that good. 

I don't think the lad have ever had anything except the desserts that Starbucks passes off as coffee.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t care what coffee aficionados say, perked coffee in camp on a cool morning is the absolute best coffee. :D

I will say there is absolutely nothing like strong perked camp coffee on a cool morning when you're trying to shrug off the chill and face the day. Especially when it is shared with family and friends.

It sure beats the daylights out of lukewarm coffee out of a mermite container in a canteen cup trying to do the same thing during a field problem. The only thing that makes it taste good at all is sharing it with brothers in arms.

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I don't think the lad have ever had anything except the desserts that Starbucks passes off as coffee.

I believe Starbucks just sells milk shakes that are flavored with some pseudo imitation coffee flavor which is secretly concocted and produced somewhere in the Pacific Northwest area  and which my be a byproduct of Soylent Green.  They attract teenagers and yuppies with words like "latte" and "frappucino".  

19 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I believe Starbucks just sells milk shakes that are flavored with some pseudo imitation coffee flavor which is secretly concocted and produced somewhere in the Pacific Northwest area  and which my be a byproduct of Soylent Green.  They attract teenagers and yuppies with words like "latte" and "frappucino".  

They do have just plain brewed coffee that usually isn't too bad.

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

17 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

If you ever get roped into coffee at Starbucks just ask for a “Blonde pour over”.
No, it’s not a wet tee shirt exhibition. :lol:

Their blonde coffee is not roasted as long and it’s has more caffeine because of that. It’s not bitter so it needs no foo-foo flavors to cover the burnt acidic taste of their over roasted beans. It’s pretty good, actually. 

They put the coffee in a filter then pour boiling water over it into a carafe, hence the name “pour over”.  

I usually get hornswaggled into going there about once a year. That’s my limit. 

The only times I have anything at Starbucks is when I'm with my two grandaughters who each has an iced "something" and just to please them I order a single shot of espresso which I have to lace with half a pound of sugar just to make it taste less than mud!  Now this is from someone who spent 35 years in Miami drinking "Cuban cafecitos" which in my opinion is liquified heavenly manna!

Archived