SASS Wire Forum

Mag large pistol primers

Bullett Sass 19707

I have been using for about 1000 rd small pistol mag primers.   I notice no difference in the rounds over reg small pistol primers.  I got a good deal on large mag pistol primers.  Will I have the same experience?  So, does anyone have experience with this combo? These are CCI mag I now use CCI large pistol in 45 colt and 45 acp.  Thanks Bullett  

IF you load near the maximum pressures, and are using magnum pistol, instead of regular as listed, drop powder charge 10%.  On large volume rifle calibers, drop .4 to .5 grain.  For SASS  velocity loads, I use them interchangeably.

3 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

I have been using for about 1000 rd small pistol mag primers.   I notice no difference in the rounds over reg small pistol primers.  I got a good deal on large mag pistol primers.  Will I have the same experience?  So, does anyone have experience with this combo? These are CCI mag I now use CCI large pistol in 45 colt and 45 acp.  Thanks Bullett  

All I use for CAS loads are Magnum Pistol Primers.  Both small and large.   Better ignition for smokeless rattling around those voluminous cases meant for Black Powder.  I haven't found a discernible difference in cowboy loads.  But, might help when you up your load for those "Long Range Lever Action Pistol Caliber" rounds.

2 hours ago, Tulsey, SASS#11236 said:

One poster on this thread mentioned using small rifle primers in 38 pistol cartridges.  Small rifle and pistol are about the same size with different hardness and flash potential. Large pistol and Large rifle are not the same size

Having reloaded commercially for more than 18 years for cas shooters, this perceived difference in small magnum pistol primers and small rifle primers (non magnum) needs to be addressed. Read the manufacturer primer specs. These two primers are exactly the same from each manufacturer. Only the box labels are different. Small Magnum pistol primers and small Rifle primers use the same cup so there is no difference in cup hardness. The harder cup is for the higher pressures produced at magnum velocities. 38 special maximum pressures is listed at 17,500 psi. The magnum (that would be 357) maximum pressure is listed at 35,000 psi.

9 hours ago, Tulsey, SASS#11236 said:

One poster on this thread mentioned using small rifle primers in 38 pistol cartridges.  Small rifle and pistol are about the same size with different hardness and flash potential. Large pistol and Large rifle are not the same size

SP and SR are the exactly the same size.

LR is taller than LP.

Whenever I change my recipe I run 20-30 through the chronograph. I did an experiment to see if

there was any change going from Federal LPP to Federal Magnum LPP. I was using 6.2gr Winchester 231

in 45LC. Keeping everything else constant I got about 50fps increase in speed. So going from

550fps to 600fps was a difference some people might not notice without a chronograph.

On 10/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Shouldn't you ask the manufacturer vs a bunch of old guys who can't remember their starting line! :ph34r:   Winchester marks theirs "for Standard or Magnum :oads".   I don't know about other brands, so won't hazard a guess.

11 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I like to use my magnum primers when we shoot BP or subs. 

When shooting 777, my guns run cleaner using magnum primers.

At lower velocity (re pressures), it won't matter.

I have always used the Win LPM primers and now with the shortages, I use the same in standard.  NO DIFF IN SASS USE.

MG

On 10/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Thinking you should be fine. 
F74B54DE-6761-4DCC-80CE-F7E18BB9E5D8.thumb.jpeg.63bc2004299959574fadc92dfa54966a.jpegA3634B9F-15C4-447A-8A23-07314AFB3780.thumb.jpeg.0fa8c554b7d94a1cf212bbcca2fe93eb.jpegRegards 

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived