SASS Wire Forum

Wine questions

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have had a bottle of Two Buck Chuck Cabernet Sauvignon that has been in my torage fridge for a number of years.  It's never been opened.

What are the chances it's still good?

Should I risk it or buy  fresh bottle?

Would it be something I could use in beef stew?

Would another wine be better?

I'm asking because I'm a tea totaller and am looking to try a new recipe.  I figure most of the alcohol will be gone after a few hours in a slow cooker.

Open it and let it stand a bit, if it doesn't smell vinegary it is likely all right.  Pour it into a water glass and look at the color, s/b a nice red with little or no sediment.  It should be fine to cook with.  If you are worried about flavor , simmer it for a while and the alcohol will be gone and you can do a teaspoon flavor check. In any but the worst case it will be fine in a stew.  They always say don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink,  Never thought of teetotalers.

Never was a wine drinker, nor beer.

Back before I quit I was a Black Flag rum (when I could get it, Bacardi when I couldn't) and Coke drinker, once in awhile a Black Russian, Bourbon and Branch, or Yukon Jack man and  and lover of Glayva over ice cream or  in coffee.

I'd still give a bunch for a bottle of Glayva.  I've been hoarding about a shot of it now for several years but it isn't sold in the the US and no one in Canada can get me a couple of 7450 ml bottles at almost any price...within reason.

Hey Forty Rod what is this Glayva Stuff of which you speak?

I have a couple of friends headed South to Shoot, maybe so they might be able to take some to Ya...

Jabez Cowboy

You have an unopened bottle of red wine that is probably less than 20 years old, and you're worried it has turned into vinegar?

White, yeah. White's only good for about 10 years before it turns. But red? That's good for lustrums, decades, four score and 7 years.

Last time I was in Georgia - was up there for my granddaughter's 8th birthday - I picked up a case of Two Buck Chuck. She'll be 20 in February. I think I still got five bottles (as y'all might could guess, I'm not a big drinker). And I'm absolutely sure there's not a thing wrong with it.

Archived