SASS Wire Forum

"Ultimate Marksman" debuts on the History Channel, Thursday, November 3

On 10/22/2022 at 2:10 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Where was it filmed?

LG:

The first 8 episodes were filmed on a ranch in Montana, in August.

Cheers,

FJT

21 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks like another unreal “reality” type show from the preview. 

Given the political climate, it is quite courageous of the History Channel to put a firearms themed show on the air.  They deserve our support.  As to the reality; each episode will feature actual head to head competition, with some of the finest shooters in the world, in several disciplines. No teams; no competitor's drama; just competition.  And it ain't phony; I was there.

Cheers,

FJT

10 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

They have tried this type of shown before and it was an utter failure. 

Actually, when Top Shot was on, it was one of the highest rated shows they ever had.  This one lacks the trauma and drama, and is just top competitors, facing unbelievably difficult challenges.  And, I'll repeat what I said, above; given the political climate, it is quite courageous of the History Channel to put a firearms themed show on the air.  They deserve our support.

Cheers,

FJT

49 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Actually, when Top Shot was on, it was one of the highest rated shows they ever had.  This one lacks the trauma and drama, and is just top competitors, facing unbelievably difficult challenges.  And, I'll repeat what I said, above; given the political climate, it is quite courageous of the History Channel to put a firearms themed show on the air.  They deserve our support.

Cheers,

FJT

I watched a few of the episodes and it didn't grab me. I will be watching when it debuts and hope I like it better than Top Shot. 

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’d rather watch grass grow or paint dry.

.... well, .... you could paint your back fence and sit in a lawn chair ...... and do both .....  <_<

I'd rather watch the show ...... but I don't think I'll be able too  :(

18 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

no competitor's drama; just competition.

If they can stay away from phony drama and just show the competition it should be worth watching. 

The bane of similar shows is the obviously fabricated drama they interject. 

I just watched a trailer that showed knives, tomahawks, bows and arrows - with a single revolver on a table unhandled and loading gate open.

Thats where Top Shot went wrong imo (beyond the fabricated conflicts) forgetting the SHOT part of their name and dedicating episodes to Atlatls, knives, bows and axe throwing; knowing full well that axe throwing is the provenance of Mountain Man rendezvous and stringy bearded Millennials drinking boutique beers.

For his part in it and because of my respect for FJT; I hope this will be a success - but personally, based on the trailer alone - I would have zero interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it last night in the season debut, I thought it was pretty lame. I'll watch it again, hope it improves a bunch next week.

In the trailer I saw a Colt SAA, a Springfield Trapdoor and a pretty gal.

Geeeeez guys, how bad can this be?

:blink:

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

In the trailer I saw a Colt SAA, a Springfield Trapdoor and a pretty gal.

Geeeeez guys, how bad can this be?

:blink:

Cowboy shooter gets involved with concept and production of historical weapons show and post since he thinks some on here may find interest in it. Met with snarky remarks and derision. Smacks of Twitter. So much for the “cowboy way.”

On 10/23/2022 at 10:29 AM, Henry T Harrison said:

And how phony will it be 

Well, no one really gives a crap you’re a nudist either, thought you’ve continually repeated it, but at least you don’t ask people to come watch.

I watched it,liked it. Sure it could of been better.

Will watch it again. I liked that they are not using new firearms.

They are using Firearms from the 1800's.

Anything that has firearms in it , this day and age. I will support them.

If you don't like it. Produce your own show. And show us how it should be done.

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Cowboy shooter gets involved with concept and production of historical weapons show and post since he thinks some on here may find interest in it. Met with snarky remarks and derision. Smacks of Twitter. So much for the “cowboy way.”

The Cowboy Way includes “Honesty”. I was being “honest”.

5 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Well, no one really gives a crap you’re a nudist either, thought you’ve continually repeated it, but at least you don’t ask people to come watch.

Okay 

Archived