SASS Wire Forum

S'pose this might be a spider bite?

Alpo

If it gets worse see a doctor. If it drains and gets better, buy a gun or a bottle of fine booze.

Expect my bill in a few days.

If it's a spider bite (looks like it to my well experienced eyes -- many past black wodow bites) It will become necrotic (blackend) around the edges within a day or two, and leave an open sore between dime and quarter size, that will take a several weeks to a month or more to heal in.  Hopefully it was not a Brown Recluse.  They necrose a much larger area and can cause more serious systemic reactions. 

Be real alert for respiratory symptoms or dizziness in the first 24 hours.  If they start, get to an ER post-haste. 

13 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

If it's a spider bite (looks like it to my well experienced eyes -- many past black wodow bites) It will become necrotic (blackend) around the edges within a day or two, and leave an open sore between dime and quarter size, that will take a several weeks to a month or more to heal in.  Hopefully it was not a Brown Recluse.  They necrose a much larger area and can cause more serious systemic reactions. 

Be real alert for respiratory symptoms or dizziness in the first 24 hours.  If they start, get to an ER post-haste. 

This.  I've had a black widow bite.  Thankfully it wasn't too bad.  But they can be.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Maybe fire ant. Keep an eye on it and go to the ER if it gets worse.

Bingo.

I was pruning the azaleas the other day, and one of them big honkers come crawling out off of a leaf and got on my arm. I wasn't thinking fire ant because usually they're on my feet since I step in them. And usually they're further apart than this.

But yeah, I got ant bit yesterday on my arm.

American spiders can be bad enough.  This is a friend's leg, photo taken yesterday at a doctor's office.  He's currently in a hospital, with an IV administering antibiotics.  

bj spider bite.jpg

I don't have enough knowledge to comment on what the spider bite looks like.

BUT..... looking at your picture, it appears that you have a few 'bumps' on your arm, particularly a few close to

your watch.   

If you have a problem with ingrown hair on your arm, it could be a festered ingrown hair or pimple.

As others have mentioned, if other signs start to appear, see the Dr. immediately.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I would be going nuclear with my sprayer if I had fire ants. 

Sprays, powders and Amdro type poisons just make them move their colony, at least that what I've noticed. The only way to kill them outright is with fire. Stir them up and dig a little down, hose 'em with lighter fluid and light them. Burn 'em good and long. The grass grows back, the fire ants won't.

13 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Indeed.
I wound up with a spider bite that necrosed into a quarter or fifty cent piece size.
Went to Kaiser, doc took a look and said "Oh, your fine"
I asked what he meant by "I'm fine"
He replied, "that is a Brown Recluse bite, and you aren't dead."

The little bugger was living in the driver's side window well of my truck.
He nailed me 3x on the left calf before I caught him and donated a can of RAID into the window.
Cured that problem.

7 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I would be going nuclear with my sprayer if I had fire ants. 

Spray doesn't work on Fire Ants. I never had any luck with Amdro.

Best thing I found for them is Ortho Max fire ant granules. Sprinkle a cup or two around the mound and then GENTLY water the area with a couple gallons of water. It kills the whole nest in a couple days.  Be sure to kill any nests in the vicinity or another colony will move into the vacated nest. 

If you need to kill them right now use a powder called TEMPO. It is fast acting but smells terrible. The big drawback is that it only kills what it touches and may not be 100% effective on large fire ant colonies.

8 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

American spiders can be bad enough.  This is a friend's leg, photo taken yesterday at a doctor's office.  He's currently in a hospital, with an IV administering antibiotics.  

bj spider bite.jpg

Still better than -

A091-funerals-death-care-sustainability-scaled.thumb.jpg.ff181484d9d6d52a4153dea1acae05c4.jpg

I stepped in a mound one day, and I did not have any Amdro, but I did have a can of Raid ant and roach killer. This advertises to kill on contact and keep killing for 2 weeks. Figured I would give it a shot and sprayed the hell out of the top of the mound. 3 days later I checked it and it was dead as hell.

I truthfully did not expect that. I sprayed it mostly because I was pissed that the little boogers had bit me. I did it just to poison off the ones that was running around on top.

But if they went in and out they must have carried it down inside the mound on their little scrawny bodies.

Save up your aluminum cans and make some artwork.

43 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Save up your aluminum cans and some artwork.

I've seen people pour the lead, never been around for the digging up of the mound. They make pretty cool designs.

Being around fire ants with bare feet is a bad idea. Working molten lead with bare feet is just plain stupid IMO.

13 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've seen people pour the lead, never been around for the digging up of the mound. They make pretty cool designs.

Being around fire ants with bare feet is a bad idea. Working molten lead with bare feet is just plain stupid IMO.

I agree. Obviously the fire ants were dead otherwise he would have been doing the fire ant dance like I did when I ran into them in Mississippi. He had bare feet and I suspect shorts. I’m thinking he asked someone to hold his beer before filming. 

Like shoes are gonna stop molten metal. Now you have melted rubber on fire and the leather traps the metal next to your skin.

Take a shovel full from one mound and drop it on another. Sit back and watch em go to war.

Push a shovel or stick down the mound and Pour gas on em light it up.

I have heard dry cornmeal will kill em as they eat it and it swells from their body moisture and pops em. Never done it though.

Archived