SASS Wire Forum

.45-60 in a .45-70?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Can you run .45-60's in a .45-70 rifle?

I'd guess that in a single shot rifle it'd be no problem, but overall length being to short might cause difficulties in a repeater.   Thinking about it, I'd also guess that with black powder, modern .45-60 cases that are non balloon head ones, it would comfortably hold 55 grains of the stuff, recreating the .45-55 carbine load without the need for filler.

This is purely a hypothetical question, I have no plans to try it, but it's something that has occurred to me as a possibiity.

Just now, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Have you had a problem with insomnia H. K. ??  Lying awake nights??  Run out of holes in the Acoustic Tiles??

Nah.    Just doing a lot of idle speculation.

And I just picked up a (reproduction) Winchester 76 in .45-60, so I was thinking about the caliber.

I also thought about a "wildcat" cartridge, .45-70 shortened to the length of the .45 Colt.  Similar to a 73, if you had a special carrier the way you can get a .45 Cowboy Special one, a shorter one for the 76 might be an interesting curiosity.  (To say nothing of a revolver chambered for it.)  Call it the .45-45.  :)

But so much for dream speculation.  The original speculation still stands.

I have shot 40-70 rounds in my 40-82.    just clean the rifle well after a day at the range.  also 45-90's  through my 43 Spanish, just clean well after shooting.   some things work.....others do not.   ymmv.

Technically yes, just like if you had a 45-120 you could shoot 45-60,45-70,45-90,45-100,45-110 and 45-120 in it. Not recommended though. It’s not the same as a 38 special in a .357. You can leave permanent marks in the chamber, I‘ve been told, and ruin longer brass when you shoot it later if the chamber isn’t cleaned properly. I have never done this just here say. I know people in the black powder silhouette game go nuts anytime someone mentions doing that. 

On 10/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Can you run .45-60's in a .45-70 rifle?

I'd guess that in a single shot rifle it'd be no problem, but overall length being to short might cause difficulties in a repeater.   Thinking about it, I'd also guess that with black powder, modern .45-60 cases that are non balloon head ones, it would comfortably hold 55 grains of the stuff, recreating the .45-55 carbine load without the need for filler.

This is purely a hypothetical question, I have no plans to try it, but it's something that has occurred to me as a possibiity.

Jamiesons (sp?) has .45-60 ammo, black powder rounds for sale as least the did a few months ago when I bought my original Winchester 76 and needed ammo to shoot it it. 

Archived