SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun bore brush recommendations.

Johnny Knight

Looking for recommendations for a shotgun bore brush.  Had some sticky hulls at landrun, despite the honed and polished chambers.  I've been using a regular shotgun brush between stages and it has generally worked, but I noticed some folks use an larger brush, about 6" long or so that looks like it might do a better job.  I also had the recommendation from Double Tap to follow up with a bore mop coated with lemon pledge every other stage.  Any particular brand of brush to look out for, or avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

I use this mag brush and it works great on the SXS chambers. 

https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/product/mag-cleaning-brush-blue-handle/

JEL

A little off topic I suppose, but I wipe off my hulls with Armor All before reloading and in 12 years have never had a hull stick. Maybe I've just been lucky. Even the older frosty looking ones. I'm running a Stoeger. YMMV 

And I rarely clean it unless I shoot a BP match.

17 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I love these and have used them for several years.

Amazon.com : Pro Shot 12 Ga Chamber Brush : Sports & Outdoors

They also make a very nice short brass handle that works well and looks good.  :)
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Use this.  Frigidaire refrigerator coil brush.  Available at big box home building supplies stores (Lowes).  This is what I use, just shorten the handle to your liking.

2 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I like this one  as well, and the Kleenbore Tapered Chambermate brush

I use a HOPPES BORESNAKE in 12 ga. I firmly believe in them. I have them in all my calibers. They gave over 100 times the surface area of a patch and they do a darn fine job!

Pards, I highly recommend them!

Oh well.  None of the Above.  I just use a regular short 12Ga bronze bore brush, wrap a patch around it and squirt liberally with PAM.  Cheap, simple and effective.

BUT = don't confuse the use of a 12 gauge BORE brush and a "naked" 12 gauge CHAMBER brush.  The first has to be jimmied up to work on stubborn chamber fouling cleaning.  Because it's not a large enough diameter. The problem you describe is a dirty chamber, not a dirty bore.

good luck, GJ

On 10/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I use the same brush only from Brownell's or Midway.

During regular cleaning, I use a 10ga brush on my 12ga shotgun.

21 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh well.  None of the Above.  I just use a regular short 12Ga bronze bore brush, wrap a patch around it and squirt liberally with PAM.  Cheap, simple and effective.

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

BUT = don't confuse the use of a 12 gauge BORE brush and a "naked" 12 gauge CHAMBER brush.  The first has to be jimmied up to work on stubborn bore fouling cleaning.  Because it's not a large enough diameter.The problem you describe is a dirty chamber, not a dirty bore.

good luck, GJ

Agree with these to comments as to chamber cleaning which I normally do before each stage..  My most often "go to" brush set-up for chamber is indeed as CC mentions a simple 12 Ga brush with patch or about 3.5" square piece of cloth attached over it (I punch small hole in  center of cloth/patch and place over brush) sprayed with slight amount of Ballistol (or your favorite CPL). 

The other two mentioned brushs find more use to me in more serious cleaning sessions.  As does good swabbing with Windex/vinegar (followed by dry swab then slight swap with Ballistol or your favorite CPL).

I always use a swab (with lubricant) after using a chamber brush.

Not to highjack this thread, but I also always check all my shotgun rounds in a chamber checker before they go in my gun cart.  I was surprised how many "factory new shells stuck".  This can be a factor even if your chambers are perfectly clean.  I have also start using a coning tool on reloaded shells.  So far, I'm happy with the results. 

Johnny

It was nice meeting you at Landrun, hope to posse with you sometime.  I use this brush Multi-Function Gun Cleaning Brush (uniquetek.com) in my shotgun bores before the first stage of a match and after each stage as I put it back into my gun cart.  I also got one of these SliX-Sizer (uniquetek.com) last year at EOT and use it checking shotgun rounds I have reloaded and also factory rounds.

Scout

I use a Tornado brush (coil).  I have a squib rod with a narrow handle that can pass through the bore.  I first  attach the Tornado Coil to the rod, spray the chamber with One Shot case lube, and scrub out the chambers.  Then I place a 3" square rough patch right over the coil, spray it with One Shot, and push it (and the whole rod and handle)  through the bore from the chamber end.  It leaves a lubed, mirror finish.  

I was concerned at first about the coil scratching the chambers, but I've not seen evidence of it, after hundreds of cleanings.   

If you're handy, the same coils can be bought at Walmart in pairs, as BBQ grill scrubbers, for 1/10 the price of the ones sold for shotgun cleaning, but they have to be fitted with a threaded fitting to be able to attach to a cleaning rod - a quick threading and solder or braze job.  

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I always use a swab (with lubricant) after using a chamber brush.

Not to highjack this thread, but I also always check all my shotgun rounds in a chamber checker before they go in my gun cart.  I was surprised how many "factory new shells stuck".  This can be a factor even if your chambers are perfectly clean.  I have also start using a coning tool on reloaded shells.  So far, I'm happy with the results. 

for sure.

A couple of additional thoughts.  If a S xS has polished and honed chambers, and still suffers sticking hulls . . . . One may well be using a Hull the gun doesn't like.  Sounds odd, but some manufacturers hulls do not shuck out equally.  One may also have "Honed" the chambers sufficiently oversize there is excessive Blow-By of Gun Gas fouling the chamber.  You only hope in this case is a lot of brushing.  If it's occasional sticking, check you ammunition.  ALL shotgun shells are not created equal.  Even in the same box.

Now, If, as in my case, your shooting All Brass Hulls and BP or APP in your Hammer Double,  Swabbing out the chambers is Due Rigger.  Just something you have to do between stages.  And still get the occasional "sticker."

If, however, you have a real "need" for one of those "high density" and large diameter Bronze chamber brushes.  You do have a real serious problem with your chambers.

I use MEC Super Sizer on cases before reloading then the QuikLoader 3° taper crimper (SASS legal BTW) at the end.

spot check loads with chamer guage

If I open the SxS all the way the hulls drop out.  I tend to not completely open the gun--work in progress

Archived