SASS Wire Forum

What is a good progressive shotgun shell loader?

Colt Faro, SASS #54579

After 18 years in the sport I’m finally considering reloading shotgun shells. We’ve been shooting factory Remington STS 1145 fps all this time. 

Who makes the best for the money progressive shot shell loader that does a great job etc. Tips tricks and advice is welcomed. I probably don’t want to spend the money for a Spolar. 

How about the Dillon 900? 

Thank you! 
Colt 

There was a thread back in September that covered this pretty well.   I'd start there.

I use a Mec 9000. Bought it used 7-8 years ago and it has served me well. As with any piece of machinery, understand what each part is supposed to do and keep it adjusted properly and it works great. I can easily load 300-400 per hour. 

I also load on a Ponsness Warren 800 plus.  Great machine and turns out loads that look like factory.  

Another vote for P/W    Have a 375 that is fabulous but manuel.     Other machine is 800C which is great but can get finicky once in a while       GW

I hope you saved lots of those STS hulls.  They really reload well.  I load with an RCBS Grand.  It makes nice hulls but is no longer cataloged by RCBS so I would avoid one.  I am concerned about parts availability in the future.  Powder and wads are available.  The only 209 primers readily available are Cheddites.  They load and shoot well so you should investigate loads using them.  Shot is scarce these days.  Start shopping for shot now.  I bought shot from Shootin Fox at both EOT and Land Run.  However, he could not fill all his orders for Land Run because he ran out of lead and could not resupply.

With low recoil, low noise shell now selling for $12-15 a box you will save by reloading.  More importantly you will have a reliable supply of shells suitable for CAS.

Like most other stuff in this sport, find a shooter or shooters that have the models you are considering. Watch them crank out some shells and see if that's the set up that works for you. P/W and Spolar are top end machines, but you may find a better fit with another loader.

I picked up a MEC 650 a few years ago that I was sure I would dump after a year or two. But I like how it works, and I feel well within my comfort level using it.

Good luck on your search.

Thank you for all the great input! Luckily I have saved STS hulls over the years and have several thousand of those. I also found a Mec Jr in a box in my garage. Obviously it’s not a progressive and I’ve never used it so that’s why I asked about progressive 

image.thumb.jpg.8bc8a283a7a9bd221f865e57106d3807.jpgI will chime in as well. 
I use a MEC 9000 GN these days. 
Learned on a MEC Sizemaster. 
The 9000 is capable of 400 rounds (maybe more) per hour of factory looking shells. Only drawback to the Sizemaster was output was limited to however fast you could move the shells from station to station (for me about 120-150 per hour). Really like that both resize the base and make nice crimps. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I would suggest the MEC 9000-E    or the MEC 9000-G    

I loaded my shotgun ammo on a 9000-G for the last 25 years.  Bought the electric one in March 2022 from Midway.  It produces ammo that looks like factory STS ammo 

The electric one loads very smooth, ie:  push two buttons to cycle.   As it returns up you have just enough time to watch the primer and place a hull & wad,   Takes roughly 3-4 minutes to load a box of shells.

Good luck,

3GC

I load smokeless shell on a Dillon 900SL and black powder on a MEC Grabber.  They both work well and make high quality shells once adjusted.  I like each one for different reasons.  I still case gauge every hull loaded to cull the out-of-spec shells.

The Dillon takes a bit more knowledge to adjust correctly, but once adjusted it is faster by far with the automatic hull feeder.  It makes really nice crimps and produces high quality reloads.

Since the MEC is not auto advance or auto hull feed it is easier to setup and does not have as big of crashes when there is a problem.  Believe me, you will encounter minor problems that cause machine crashes with any press, its the nature of the beast.  The MEC also makes nice crimps and high quality shells.

YMMV

1 hour ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

Thank you for all the great input! Luckily I have saved STS hulls over the years and have several thousand of those. I also found a Mec Jr in a box in my garage. Obviously it’s not a progressive and I’ve never used it so that’s why I asked about progressive 

Those once-fired STS hulls are worth about 10-cents each.  I too have a MEC Jr and use it for BP shotgun shells.  It makes very nice shells using STS or Nitro hulls.  I have no trouble loading 3-4 boxes an hour with it.  

I too started with a 600jr., Now using an old Grabber. I like the last station that rounds over the crimp end. I also gauge them all, however, I usually only have 2 or 3 that won't go completely into the gauge. These I take and try them in my Stoeger barrels and Ellie's 97, they always just drop right in. Have never had an issue at a match.

When I started reloading shotgun I found a used MEC Grabber..

a retiring trapshooter had it for sale..

I bought it and have used it fer about 10-12 years.. and I can’t keep up with it..

Not big money invested but it works for me..

Just sayin…

7 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

Hi Colt,

I've got 2 MECs 600 and they are both great. Had one for over 20 years and used all the time.

I tried a MEC 650 and didn't like it, if you miss something or have hassles you can end up with a mess.:lol:

BTW do you have any Outlaw Gang stuff lying around by any chance?

Cheers

Jack.

I load on an old Mec 650 which isn’t made anymore.   It works well for me, but the sizer on it stinks, necessitating a Mec Supersizer. The Grabber has the collet sizer built in. If I was starting out, I’d recommend the Grabber. Sizing your hulls is essential for clean extraction. 

My suggestion is to try out the MEC Jr. that you have as it's almost klutz-proof and makes excellent shells. Is also an excellent learning tool. If you are only loading for CAS it's fast enough. I loaded about three boxes an hour which is my time limit as I get bored. I went from it to a MEC Grabber when new shells dried up as I also shoot trap.

11 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

No excuses... now you can start loading BP, get MB a pair of cap guns and strive for top gun  as a Frontiersman!  :D

I had both the MEC650 & 9000G at one time. I went back to the MEC600jr. The progressive shotgun presses are great when everything is working correctly, but one hiccup and you have a mess on your hands. Too many things for me to keep an eye on when using a progrssive shotgun press. The time it takes to clean up and fix the hiccup I can load a box of shells on my 600jr. Takes me about 10 minutes to load a box of shells on the 600jr and I don't recall ever having a hiccup with it.

I load smokeless on a MEC 9000 works well for me. But I have it sitting in a baking pan when I bolt it down as things happens and shot and powder is confined to one spot. I mostly use a MEC jr for my bp shells or a PW375 both of which are single stage. The Mec jr would be a good place to start and its simple to use. Especially since you already have one.

Hochbauer

Archived