SASS Wire Forum

Would/Do you do this?

Alpo

Reading an online story. This guy has just got his first apartment, bought furniture and linens.

Takes his new sheets and towels and stuff down to the laundromat and washes them.

That seemed strange. Brand new items still in the factory wrap. They should be clean.

Do you do that? I know I never have.

Later in the story he is helping a homeless girl. He takes her to the thrift store where she gets clothing. Then he takes her to a place where he knows the manager, so she can apply for a job. Before she goes to apply for the job, they go back to his place where she washes all her new clothes.

This one actually makes sense. I would expect that the thrift shop washes the clothing that they get donated, but then it's out there hanging on the rack and someone tries it on and doesn't like it and puts it back, so yeah, the new clothing might be kind of scrungy. Although, again, I have never washed clothing before I wore it. Except for blue jeans. If you wear blue jeans without washing them first, when you sweat they tend to turn everything from your waist to your knees blue - both your skin and your skivvies.

But I've never washed any other clothing first.

I always wash new sheets and pillow cases.

I wash new towels as well.

Clothes, linens, and anything made of cloth are soaked in chemicals to prevent bugs and moths from eating them during shipping, storage, and sale.  I find the chemicals highly irritating, and the odor mildly annoying.  There is no way I could ever wear any brand new clothes or sleep on brand new sheets without washing them first.  

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Old, new...clothes/bedding/towels...doesn't matter...I wash them first. I don't know what kind of chemicals or skin irritants they have been exposed to. Better safe than sorry IMO.

That was exactly Ellie's answer.

Yep.
My bride bought a bunch of plain white wash clothes and towels for each incision, etc, of my recent bypass surgery.
Each wash cloth is only used once, and only on a single incision.
Same for the towels.
The intent is completely avoiding cross contamination.

She washes and bleaches them all after every use.
She also washes every single fabric we wear or sleep in, for the same reasons.

My bride worked in a fabric store.
She said fabrics, and the items made from them, are drenched in chemicals for shipping, etc etc.
Pre-washing seems like a no-brainer to me.

Wash everything.  Thrift store clothes go straight to the washer as soon as they are brought home. Not taking a chance on bed bugs.

My mom used to work in a factory where they made Levis jeans. You can't imagine what all the material touches before you buy it.

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

im certain they dont need it but i wash to soften , i like my sheets and pillow cases best after years of washing - soft is good , 

Trust me they NEED it.

Archived