SASS Wire Forum

Expecially

Utah Bob #35998

It’s not a word.

Nor is Assessory. I even head a “reporter” say a local businessman was very SUSSESSFUL!

Arrgggh!

And while we’re at it, are and our are not interchangeable. Except maybe in Alabama. 

I could go on. But I won’t.

11 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.......... you been watching the news again Uncle Bob ??  :huh:

The dang internet! :angry:

I won't axe you how you really feel about it. ;)

I agree. The mispronunciation of words by a kid is totally understandable. The mispronunciation of words by an adult, especially an adult that makes their living using words to convey information? Stupid, lazy, irresponsible, ignorant and a few others I won’t convey here.

“Nuculer” is another word that when I hear it I cringe. 

The dawyers lost!!

I share a lot of the same thoughts about how English is treated, but then I suppose it isn’t a whole lot different than the regional variations of English we’ve all grown up with. 

Droppin’ ‘G’s, dra-a-a-wing out vowels — y’all gotta keep in mind, spoken English is sometimes a ‘lowest-common-denominator language. 

Not much different, I suppose, than how folks in England look at how we speak it. 

I’ve recently locked in on two items that really annoy me.  One is also found in written word and it nearly drives me to distraction.

The first is when people pronounce words that have the consonant “D” in them, anywhere except at the beginning.  Two local newscasters, (I won’t call them journalists) will invariably pronounce these words with a “T” sound instead of the “D” that belongs there.  Deadly, because they’re always using that word to describe shootings or car crashes or fires, comes to mind. They say det lee instead.

The other is showing up more and more both spoken and written. The proper wording is “should have” or the contraction “should’ve”, but so many, supposedly educated people, are saying and even writing “should of”!!  The word “of” is a possessive!  Of what?? And people are writing it in communication and correspondence!!

(teeth grinding in frustration)

I dislike the extra R.

I listened to myself one day and heard that I was saying WARSHINGTON, and I knew there was not an r in that word. It took me about 3 years before I could say it without having to think about it.

But I know people that have idears (and I'm sure there are other words they stick the extra R in, but I can't think of any at the moment). :P

A lot of folks around here have relatives they call Arnts or Ants. I'm an ass, typically ask them " they aren't what"? Or try Raid. :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

A lot of folks around here have relatives they call Arnts or Ants. I'm an ass, typically ask them " they aren't what"? Or try Raid. :ph34r:

In my family and I the area where I grew up we call Aunts pronounced like “Ants”, not “Onts”. Must be a regional thing. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In my family and I the area where I grew up we call Aunts pronounced like “Ants”, not “Onts”. Must be a regional thing. 

Then there’s Ahnties and Antys and Aints!!  :rolleyes: :lol:

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I agree. The mispronunciation of words by a kid is totally understandable. The mispronunciation of words by an adult, especially an adult that makes their living using words to convey information? Stupid, lazy, irresponsible, ignorant and a few others I won’t convey here.

“Nuculer” is another word that when I hear it I cringe. 

A former U. S. President, a goober rancher, had been an officer on a "nucular" submarine and he couldn't pronounce it correctly.

He wasn't much of a President, either. 

As I've noted before, one of my pet annoyances is referring to a multiple of something as "alot" or "allot."  "I got allot of bug bites last weekend."  "It's alot of trouble to read the instructions."

Those folks oughtta git theyselves on down to the liberry and check out a dictionary or two!  :)

Ryan Symanski, the curator of the USS New Jersey always calls her sister ship the USS Missurah. In one YT video he was guest-starring with the lady who's the curator of USS Missouri and you could tell she was visibly annoyed. It's a good thing the two ships aren't moored close together or else the New Jersey might find herself on the receiving end of some 16" shells someday. :wacko:

I've known a few hundred Missouri natives (including my dad) who pronounced it Mizzurah.  They're from there and have been pronouncing it that way for at least a hundred years...in my dad's case, 114 if he were still live.

I live in Prescott Valley right next door to Prescott, Arizona.  Out here it's pronounced PRESScutt.....sounds like biscuit.....NOT pressCOTT.  You'll be told if you come here and mispronunciate.

Didja ketch that one?

Just grind my teeth every time I hear some "on scene" news person begin their report with " Ya, (add name).  What is a "Ya" anyway??  Such as "Ya George, we're here at the axcident scene."  I could just scream!!

Archived