SASS Wire Forum

Taxes and refunds

Typically, every Spring I am REALLY busy, with Scouts and other volunteer work taking a lot of my focus.  So sometimes I will submit the application for an extension to file my taxes.  October 15, instead of April 15.  Never have to pay, so it's no big deal.

Last year, I set out to do the same - Springtime was frantic, so I'd file my 2020 taxes by October 15.  Unfortunately, life happens... come October, I got REALLY sick.  Bedridden, "dunno if I'm a-gonna make it" sick.  Doc thought I had Covid (I'm one of those very high-risk types), but it turned out to be (most likely) a severe case of asthmatic bronchitis that lasted weeks.  Folks were worried about me; I was to miserable to care.

Bottom line - I did not file my taxes until a few days after October 15.  Don' worry 'bout it, my accountant friend said, you don't owe anything and you're actually getting a small refund.  All is cool.

Sorta, as it turns out.

Last year, Emperor Newsome decided to issue californians a "stimulus" payment of $600 or $1,200.  But to qualify, your tax return had to be filed by October 15.  No provision for whatever for those who, for whatever reason, missed that deadline.

Oh well, so be it - all my "friends, family, and neighbors" received payments; I did not.

So this year, in light of the painfully high prices we have to pay for fuel (sometimes near or over $7 a gallon), there has been a great deal of pressure on the idjits in Sackamenna to suspend or lower the absurdly high taxes.  Nope... can't do that, they say.  In fact, the fuel tax was actually increased.  Rather, the Emperor decided he'd send everyone a "refund" of $350 - just before the elections, by the way.  

Mind you, this is a REFUND, deserved because we have been overtaxed to the point that the state boasts a budget surplus of over $100 billion.  That's with a "B" billion.

But, to qualify for the payments going out this month, yup... you had to have filed your 2020 taxes by October 15, 2021.  (BTW - I did my 2021 taxes in March this year).

I miss out again.  :angry:

Yeah... he ain't no Dapper Dan man.  *Grump*  

FOP_Gav_2022.png.0992ef6dd754965e4cea9591f485c562.png                 1738653757_EmperorNewsom3.png.fa676d22147d4c00cae61dd2e1ee5b0a.png

My 21 one year old granddaughter didn't get one either because her parent's income exceeded the max.  She is a senior in college, works part time and is listed dependent on her parent's tax returns.  On our trip to Ft. Bragg to deliver my grandson's car to him after jump school one of the many conversations we had was about this very topic.

We just paid our CA registration and saw that

A.) We were charged an extra $16.50 for using a credit card and 

B.) Were charged an extra $20 because our truck is a 2019, and to young to need to be smogged so they needed to get some money from us to make up for the lack. 

it's not so much the amount as it is the arrogance and stupidity of their money grab.

4 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

...it's not so much the amount as it is the arrogance and stupidity of their money grab.

Many years ago here in Kansas when Kathleen Sebelius was voted in governor, how I have no freaking idea, the discussions were had to raise property taxes on automobiles. She said she would not. My liberal M-I-L made a huge deal out of that.  Except when we got our property tax statements I noticed all the fees had gone up instead of the taxes. Still money out of our pockets and I had to explain this but it went over her dumb head. Backdoor money grab. :angry:

Well, $100B in surplus tax revenues is earmarked for full health coverage of illegal aliens, you know, future voters. We can’t have citizens that pay taxes benefit from that money. That just would not do at all!

37 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, $100B in surplus tax revenues is earmarked for full health coverage of illegal aliens, you know, future voters. We can’t have citizens that pay taxes benefit from that money. That just would not do at all!

How does a government in deficit spending find, ‘surplus tax revenues’?

image.jpeg.8e770ae6cf583842bee31fd7c40f1d71.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was referring to the government claiming a surplus, but being in deficit spending. Maybe just ‘cause it’s the state government, anyway. 

So — no, I don’t think you’re full of BS.  

Not in this particular case, anyway. :P

I finally spoke to two different individuals with the Franchise Tax Board.

The first disconnected mid-discussion.

The second told me she could only give information, but gave me two different numbers to call.  The first directed me to Medic Alert.  The second ("be sure to press 'Option 1!'"  Option 1 did not work) sent me in to an endless loop of useless information in both English and Spanish.

There's also an "online chat" feature; standard response - "We're too busy.  Try another time."

Finally, I gave up and wrote to my assemblyman:

To:  Assemblyman Frank Bigelow

Subject: "Middle Class Tax Refund" problem. 

By introduction, I am a 71 year old constituent and long time resident of Madera County.

In April 2021 I requested a filing extension for my 2020 tax return (new deadline would be 10/15/2021).

In October 2021 I was incapacitated by serious illness and was unable to file by 10/15/2021.  I did, however, file a few days later.  Note:  I did NOT owe the state, and in fact received a tax refund.

Because I missed the 10/15/2021 filing date I was ineligible for the California stimulus payments of 2021.

I am now told that I am also ineligible for this year's $350 "Middle Class Tax Refund" because I had not filed my 2020 taxes by 10/15/2021.

Many attempts to seek assistance from the FTB have been wholly unsuccessful - the only people I have actually spoken with have told me that they cannot help; directions to different numbers have only led to hours of listening to useless recordings in both English and Spanish.

Can your office assist?

Thank you!

[Hardpan Curmudgeon]

By all accounts, Frank's a good man... but I suspect he's likely plumb wore out, being one of the very few people in the Assembly with an 'R' after his name.

But I'll cross my fingers.

And I sure wish Wyoming wasn't so danged cold.  :(

34 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I finally spoke to two different individuals with the Franchise Tax Board.

The first disconnected mid-discussion.

The second told me she could only give information, but gave me two different numbers to call.  The first directed me to Medic Alert.  The second ("be sure to press 'Option 1!'"  Option 1 did not work) sent me in to an endless loop of useless information in both English and Spanish.

There's also an "online chat" feature; standard response - "We're too busy.  Try another time."

Finally, I gave up and wrote to my assemblyman:

To:  Assemblyman Frank Bigelow

Subject: "Middle Class Tax Refund" problem. 

By introduction, I am a 71 year old constituent and long time resident of Madera County.

In April 2021 I requested a filing extension for my 2020 tax return (new deadline would be 10/15/2021).

In October 2021 I was incapacitated by serious illness and was unable to file by 10/15/2021.  I did, however, file a few days later.  Note:  I did NOT owe the state, and in fact received a tax refund.

Because I missed the 10/15/2021 filing date I was ineligible for the California stimulus payments of 2021.

I am now told that I am also ineligible for this year's $350 "Middle Class Tax Refund" because I had not filed my 2020 taxes by 10/15/2021.

Many attempts to seek assistance from the FTB have been wholly unsuccessful - the only people I have actually spoken with have told me that they cannot help; directions to different numbers have only led to hours of listening to useless recordings in both English and Spanish.

Can your office assist?

Thank you!

[Hardpan Curmudgeon]

By all accounts, Frank's a good man... but I suspect he's likely plumb wore out, being one of the very few people in the Assembly with an 'R' after his name.

But I'll cross my fingers.

Wishing you "Good Luck".

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Moving to Idaho next summer

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

It's the wind, even more than the cold.

Instead of a dry heat its a Windy Cold. :P

Archived