SASS Wire Forum

Cartridge belts and belly buttons

Tennessee Snuffy

Folks

When I launched the new SASS website, I was thrilled to see the photograph of the group of youngsters.  I got to thinking about what are the rules for the location of the cartridge belts.  The best that I can tell from 

Section 1

Holsters, Cartridge Belts and Bandoleers

Ammunition Belts and Loops

·                   It states; Ammunition belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button. 

Have you seen at any match a person whose cartridge belt is way above the  belly button?  Was anything said?

Just curious.

Perhaps you have been living under a rock. (hopefully it is a comfortable rock :)).  Shotgun belt "bras" has been a subject of discussion many times over the years.

Abilene is right. Many have talked about the shotgun belt bra deal, but nobody does anything about it. Maybe we don't want to be "that guy" that calls out a fellow posse member. I have noticed that many who wear their belts above the belly button would not be able to see their shot shells if they wore the belt is the proper position. Sort of like why Dolly Parton never knows what shoes she has on.

Rev. Chase

Anybody wants to poke around looking for my belly button has to buy me dinner first! 

Let's not forget there are some folks that have  a legit reason for wearing the shotgun belt above the belly button.  I have an ostomy bag at that location, and you don't wear a belt over it.  It could get real sh???y if you do.  That being said, if someone wants to ask me about it I will be happy to explain it to them and take no offense.

Hey Snuffy.

I think the key word in this guideline is the ammunition is positioned....... "AT".  or below the belly button.

Personally speaking, although part of my SG shells are above my belly button, a portion of those shells in my belt

are .... "AT"  my belly button.   And in some instances when my belt starts to slip down, a portion of those shells

are below my belly button.

I think this is the case with most shooters except for the bandoleers.   

..........Widder

Don't let Widder fool ya, true his shells are legally where they are supposed to be, part he doesn't tell ya is that when he started shootin the 97 competitively, he had his belly button surgically raised.....he I don't make this stuff up......just happen to know stuff I never cared to be made aware of....

This is probably NOT a good answer.  Butt.  Where I shoot, there are several Generously Proportioned shooters, who, if they wore their Shotgun belt "at or below" the wouldn't actually know if they even had shotgun shells.  Nobody really cares.  Treat it as a "non-issue."  Not really worth the bother.

Personally I could care less. I do think it is weird that we have a rule that nobody enforces. Just strike it from the book.

1 hour ago, Red Knee said:

Don't let Widder fool ya, true his shells are legally where they are supposed to be, part he doesn't tell ya is that when he started shootin the 97 competitively, he had his belly button surgically raised.....he I don't make this stuff up......just happen to know stuff I never cared to be made aware of....

Now the whole world knows my secret.   

I don't want to make you feel bad, but I actually wear the SLOWEST SG belt possible.   Its a single loop, canvas.   Not exactly

a speed rig.   BUT, I have ordered a new belt that is a leather, double shell holder.   My 'grab 2' should be smoother

and more proficient.  ;)

..........Widder

So, I was wrong once or a hunnert times. Freely admitted too! When I first started shooting with yall, I read up on the handbook pretty heavy cause I didnt want yall out-knowing me so bad. The part I read about the sg ammo, I took to mean the brass part of the shell had to be at or below the belly button(yes, I know it doesn't SAY that). I've got a pretty high belly button (I also used to have 3 nipples too until I got mad and tore the odd one off) but my belt still rode right on top of my gun rig because I wore it high at the time. That sucked. When I realized the bottom of my sg shells could be at my belly button, it was Katie bar the door. 30 second stages here I come!

I think there are quite a few folks still think the whole shell has to be below the button. I'd demonstrate the acceptable position to wear one while I was shirtless if it wasn't for that pesky 3rd nipple scar.:P

34 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

So, I was wrong once or a hunnert times. Freely admitted too! When I first started shooting with yall, I read up on the handbook pretty heavy cause I didnt want yall out-knowing me so bad. The part I read about the sg ammo, I took to mean the brass part of the shell had to be at or below the belly button(yes, I know it doesn't SAY that). I've got a pretty high belly button (I also used to have 3 nipples too until I got mad and tore the odd one off) but my belt still rode right on top of my gun rig because I wore it high at the time. That sucked. When I realized the bottom of my sg shells could be at my belly button, it was Katie bar the door. 30 second stages here I come!

I think there are quite a few folks still think the whole shell has to be below the button. I'd demonstrate the acceptable position to wear one while I was shirtless if it wasn't for that pesky 3rd nipple scar.:P

Pictures?

53 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

18 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Pictures?

Please, God, NO!

I find it necessary to have some kind of rule to prevent some "excesses". How it should be worded is another story.

I'd like to mention a section from the IPSC rule book where the proper wearing of equipment is handled. Clause 5.2.5.2 states

The Range Master may make allowances for variations in these requirements due to anatomical considerations. Some competitors may not be able to fully comply.

Meaning, everybody should just try to comply as good as possible.

Maybe there could be added something similar to our SHB?

2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I find it necessary to have some kind of rule to prevent some "excesses". How it should be worded is another story.

I'd like to mention a section from the IPSC rule book where the proper wearing of equipment is handled. Clause 5.2.5.2 states

Meaning, everybody should just try to comply as good as possible.

Maybe there could be added something similar to our SHB?

Great post. 

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Pictures?

7 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Please, God, NO!

I’m with Injun Ryder. I’m running low on eyeball bleach, so no shirtless pictures of @Tennessee williamsplease!

It’s an interesting rule. I prefer my SG belt riding just on top of my gun belt, so the tops of my shells end up just below my belly button. I’ve seen plenty of bras over the years though.

I had a friend point out recently that my shotgun belt (a Kirkpatrick) doesn’t conform to my belly. The shells lean out at the top. A combination of the belt stretching and me losing weight I guess. So far I haven’t been called on it…

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’m with Injun Ryder. I’m running low on eyeball bleach, so no shirtless pictures of @Tennessee williamsplease!

It’s an interesting rule. I prefer my SG belt riding just on top of my gun belt, so the tops of my shells end up just below my belly button. I’ve seen plenty of bras over the years though.

I had a friend point out recently that my shotgun belt (a Kirkpatrick) doesn’t conform to my belly. The shells lean out at the top. A combination of the belt stretching and me losing weight I guess. So far I haven’t been called on it…

Citizens arrest, Citizens arrest!

Tennessee’s Nipples, that’s a great alias.

13 hours ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Have you seen at any match a person whose cartridge belt is way above the  belly button?  Was anything said?

Yes, I've been at matches where shooters were told by the Posse Marshal or Berm Marshal to position their shotgun belt properly.   SASS will always accommodate someone who has a medical necessity for wearing it differently.   In our area we start at the local, monthly match level, correcting folks who are unaware of SASS rules.  So, that when they shoot at bigger matches there won't be complaints of, "That's not the way we do it at our matches!"   

The "shotgun bra" rule goes back a long, long, way, ever since Deadly Redly (R.I.P.) started wearing his at chest height, and the pictures appeared in the Chronicle.   It was efficient, but looked pretty silly.   If you want your shells that high, wear a bandolier... much more better.  

I received this response regarding the photo in question from someone who was present at the event:

I believe the specific photo was a group shot of young shooters who just received sponsored Mernickle rigs. As in brand new to them and thrown on for the photo. After just returning from Landrun and observing a very large collection of shooters I saw nothing that would have raised an eyebrow. I don’t think this is a widespread issue. 

They are obviously not "on the line" ready to shoot...no ammo in the belts and no revolvers holstered.

Archived