SASS Wire Forum

I wonder I wonder

Alpo

I have this package coming from Amazon. It was supposed to be here Saturday. Friday they sent me an email and said it was running late and it would be here Sunday. Sunday night they sent me an email that said they were sorry it was running late, and it would be here Monday or Tuesday.

And if it had not arrived by Tuesday to let them know, and they would refund my money. If it didn't make it by Tuesday it was obviously lost.

It did not make it by Tuesday, but I decided I would give it a couple more days before I complained.

Today I get an email that says it will be delivered today, and when I click on the tracking it says it's on the post office truck out for delivery. Okay.

But I wonder, if I had - let's say at about 9:00 last night, because it was supposed to be delivered by 8:00 p.m. - gotten in touch with them and said that it had not arrived, so they issue me a refund, and then it arrives today, after they have issued the refund. Would I be allowed to keep it and not pay for it? Would they demand that I return it? Would they hit my credit card again?

Since I did not complain and get the refund, this is just idle wondering. But still, I wonder.

They do strange things at Amazon. I bought this thingy a few months ago. They had three sizes - large medium and small. Or, if you preferred, you could get all three which had a savings of about $7 over buying the three of them separately. So I ordered all three. When my order arrived it only had two of them in it. I called Amazon - well actually I did live chat. "We're sorry. Would you prefer we resend the order or we refund your money?"

Since you sell all three of them separately, why not just send me the one that was missing?

"We can't do that. We can either resend the order or refund your money."

While I did want one of each size, I did not need one small two mediums and two larges. So I had them refund my money. Instead of sending me a small, which would have cost about six bucks, they refunded my $20 purchase price.

They do strange things at Amazon.

It has happened to me a couple times and when I ask they say keep it.

Before Amazon had their own fleet of delivery trucks, I bought a ramp to make it easier for the dog to get on the bed in the RV. When it arrived it was obvious it wouldn't work so I did the online thing to return it. Amazon replied that they would refund my money but they didn't want it back. That in its self isn't uncommon as they have done that in the past. However the ramp was a little over $50.00. I was surprised that they wouldn't want it back. The wife's youngest daughter wanted it so I decided to mail it too her. The cost of shipping was more than I paid for the ramp.

So went back to Amazon bought a new one and had it shipped to her.

Amazon Prime is really strange sometimes.

We had an Amazon order appear on our debit card statement, which I check daily.  We had not ordered anything and called them to have it corrected.  They insisted that we HAD ordered it, a five quart jug of high zinc motor oil, and said that they couldn’t cancel the order because it was already in process.  

Two days later, they informed us that it was being shipped that day. I replied that I would not accept it and wouldn’t pay for it either.  They said that was fine, just tell the delivery driver to take it back.

It was left on my front porch another two days later without any notification. We’d canceled payment and I set it aside in the shop to give it to the next delivery driver. We get stuff from Amazon almost weekly.

A month or so later, we were notified that if we didn’t pay for the oil, our account would be closed.  We had received several deliveries, but each time we’d not seen the driver.

I told Schoolmarm to go ahead and pay for it because I would eventually use it.  While attempting to make payment, she discovered that this was some kind of scheduled thing that would be repeated at some interval unless we canceled it, so she canceled.

I had never ordered the oil in the first place. I use a different grade and brand and I always order single quarts in case quantities, so this was not some mistake on our part. 

She later found that if you’re not real careful when shopping Amazon, you can inadvertently hit some “button” and create these recurring automatic orders.  She went in and canceled all recurring orders, (which we’d never initiated) and cleared any other orders outstanding.

They never billed us again for that first order, never attempted to close our account, and haven’t asked for the shipment to be returned.

They have a strange way of doing business.

I have had deliveries that ran late and was told if an item didn’t show by a certain day to let them know and they would remove the charges from my credit card.  So I did. The item appeared 2 days later. Amazon said keep it free of charge. 

I have had a couple of instances where I ordered items from Amazon and they were lost in delivery or some such.  No worries.  I wish I had received them as they are discontinued so I can't order them again.  The funny part of the whole situation is when I receive requests to rate my purchases and it's the items I didn't receive.......

My son got a double order on a plus or minus $100 order.  They told him to keep it.  Now I have one as well.  Another time he got another person's item, again not cheap, and after considerable effort trying to get it picked up, they told him to throw it in the trash.  Unfortunately nothing he could use, he donated it. Remarkable way to do business.  I don't use them unless I have to. 

I've ordered incorrectly small items a couple times and they told me to keep them. Likely cheaper for them than shipping and restocking.

Guitar Center works strangely as well.
A year ago, I ordered an ATA case to fit my Yamaha portable mixer.
Today, it was delivered.
Over that year, they would pre-authorize $125 to my card, try to make the order, but the charge never posted.
I would get this about once each month.

Last week, I got the usual notice, but this time it posted to my VISA.
An email arrived with the order and tracking number, and FedEx dropped it off this afternoon.

Reminds me of the 44 Russian brass I tried to order (for a full year) from Starline, without success.
After a full year, I cancelled.
I have 200 pc in stock, and that will have to do.

Archived