SASS Wire Forum

Mexican language question

Spanish is a Language, Mexican is a nationality, or a dialect of Spanish if you prefer. 

There. My nit picking is accomplished for the day. I feel much better. :lol:

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Spanish is a Language, Mexican is a nationality, or a dialect of Spanish if you prefer. 

Got it. The reason I said “Mexican” is that there is a difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo.   :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Plus there are regional variations of Mexican Spanish.

Saying that Spanish is the language they speak in Mexico is like saying that English is the language we speak here in America.

They speak English in England. We speak American. It sounds very similar, and it's even close enough that we can generally make ourselves understood. But it's not the same language.

I took Spanish in elementary school. They taught us Mexican, which really didn't make sense since this was in Tampa where a whole bunch of Cubans had gone to when Fidel took over. It would have made more sense for them to teach us Cuban. Then when I started going to Puerto Rico in the early 2000s I found out that they don't speak Cuban or Mexican. They also don't speak Spanish. They speak Puerto Rican.

Louse egg.

They are very small, and hard to see, so if you are a nitpicker you are concentrating real hard about finding all the little bitty stuff.

Ain't you never heard "nits make lice"?

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just a question: what is a nit?

A thing that will not get well if you pick it/

Like a banjo. ;)

On a trip in Spain a few years back, we were touring the Alhambra with a Spanish guide. When it was time to move to another spot, he'd say " Vamonos". Someone in our group said " 'Andale" at the same time. The guide said, "That's not Spanish, it's Mexican."

I have two physician friends, one from Colombia and one from Mexico. I've had several conversations with them over the years about various Latin American "Spanishes". They agree that Colombian is pretty pure, Cuban very hard to understand, Argentinian good, and Venezuelan incomprehensible.....

57 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

On a trip in Spain a few years back, we were touring the Alhambra with a Spanish guide. When it was time to move to another spot, he'd say " Vamonos". Someone in our group said " 'Andale" at the same time. The guide said, "That's not Spanish, it's Mexican."

I have two physician friends, one from Colombia and one from Mexico. I've had several conversations with them over the years about various Latin American "Spanishes". They agree that Colombian is pretty pure, Cuban very hard to understand, Argentinian good, and Venezuelan incomprehensible.....

Cubans tend to drop their Ss which can be a little confusing.

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I was requested to make something with chorizo and I figured it’d be nice if I could pronounce it correctly. Most of the Hispanics around here are Puerto Rican or Dominican so I thought I’d ask others.

The Saloon made sausage out of your sausage question.

Even in Spain there are several regional dialects. Ask a local if they speak Spanish (Espanol) and they'll most likely tell you no.

The official language in Spain is  Castilian. It is what is taught in most schools and is understood by almost everyone across the country. However there are 4 major regional dialects (Catalan, Galician, Basque, and Aranese) that are the primary language  spoken in different parts of the country. Of these Basque is unique in that its roots are not tied to Latin. 

There are a several more localized dialects but sadly they are being lost as older generations die.

Threads of this kind are more beneficial than I'd ever realized.
I thought I knew something about Spanish/Mexican.

Turns out I'm like that famous T-shirt ... you know, the one that says "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I know just enough to get in trouble!"

Yup. That's me!

54 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I know just enough to get arrested.

Really? I know enough to get my butt kicked. Maybe even enough to get me knifed.

I would think that if there are so many pronunciations that any one you use will be acceptable until they correct you with what they call it. ;)

I've had some reeeally good chorizo.  

However, most of it in these parts (middle of california) doesn't qualify as really good.  Or even good.  Or even edible, for that matter.  :huh:  :(

Archived