SASS Wire Forum

SASS Vequeros

Bo Bender

What everyone’s thoughts on the SASS  Vequeros, the ones that come as a set with consecutive serial numbers? Are they SASS ready right out of the box or do they still need “slicking up”? Is the  lowered hammer and SASS grips the only difference from a standard Vequero? Thank you in advance.

I love mine.  Love them so much I have two pair.  Ready right out of the box?  That's kind of like a Ford vs Chevy question.  It really depends on the shooter.  Yes, they can be run just fine straight from the factory but some folks may want to have the tweaked anyway. You're going to have to find someone that'll let you handle theirs and make up your own mind.  If you happen to find yourself in Vegas give me a shout.  I'll let you shoot my back ups in a match to see what you think.  (With the understanding mine have been short stroked by Lassiter so you won't get a factory feel.) I do believe the lower hammer spurs and custom grips are the only differences between these and regular New Vaqueros.  

I have a pair in .357. Mine were pretty slick right out of the box. Because of my large hands I put on a set of thicker grips, and I installed a lighter hammer spring. I'm sure you can do more, but that slicked them up enough for my liking.

Do action work. If you ever have the chance to touch a pair of Jimmy Spurs vaqueros you will understand why. If you can get a pair of SASS vaqueros do it, the montado hammers alone are scarce as hens teeth.

Bo, 

If you end up coming up to see Spurs, we can put you up about an hour or so south of Jimmy's.

Eyesa

1 hour ago, MBFields said:

Do action work. If you ever have the chance to touch a pair of Jimmy Spurs vaqueros you will understand why. If you can get a pair of SASS vaqueros do it, the montado hammers alone are scarce as hens teeth.

There’s a pair in a LGS that are mint, they look unfired, 5.5” 45LC, $2k, how does that price seem to you?

If SASS Vaqueros with Action work buy them. Even without action work they are bringing mid $2000's as is hard to find SASS Vaqueros. Contact John Barleycorn as he may have some options also.

12 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Hey Bo,

Say it ain't so. Cartridge revolvers? Are you giving up your rusty Remingtons? At least with the SASS Vaqueros you won't have to take the blueing off.

Good Luck,

Rev. Chase

The stainless is actually a turn off, impossible to make them look old.. I’m not giving up shooting my cap guns, just diversifying my shooting portfolio.

Listed on Gunbroker. Buy it now is $2000

Bid is $1750 with no bids at this time.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/952869831

PS I am just monitoring to get an ideal of prices.

It looks like NMV go for about 800 to 900.

If it has a high intial bid and buy it  now It does not sell.

If it does not have a high initial and no buy it now I have seen them going for 7 to 9 hundred.

Jim Brown

7 hours ago, Bo Bender said:

The stainless is actually a turn off, impossible to make them look old.. I’m not giving up shooting my cap guns, just diversifying my shooting portfolio.

I have a set that the shiny finish was dulled using scotch brite. The shooter I bought them from discovered that the bright SS finish and bright Arizona sunshine didn't go together. So he dulled the finish with scotch bright.

The finish is now closer to mildly tarnished silver vice the rough gray finish that bead blasting leaves.

I got a good deal on them as most people thought they were ugly. personally I like the look and as a BP shooter I get the advantages of SS without having to put up with the glare when shooting in the bright sun.

i know where a pair is , but the price that is being asked is way too high for me to even consider - i doubt anyone would consider it ....unless you just had to have them at any cost , i dont find them all that attractive to start with , way too shiny for my taste 

As far as I know, the SASS Vaqueros are not slicked up in any way from the factory. Consecutive serial numbers and the SASS grips is all that separates them from just buying 2 Vaqueros. But, that said, $2000 for a pair of SASS NMV is a very reasonable price....currently. New Vaqueros are going for $900 each here and there.

52 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

As far as I know, the SASS Vaqueros are not slicked up in any way from the factory. Consecutive serial numbers and the SASS grips is all that separates them from just buying 2 Vaqueros. But, that said, $2000 for a pair of SASS NMV is a very reasonable price....currently. New Vaqueros are going for $900 each here and there.

They also have the Montado hammers.

Archived