SASS Wire Forum

when the gun goes click

Vail Vigilante

55 minutes ago, Vail Vigilante said:

Good Evening Cowboys and Cowgirls 

One shot reloads, short stroked 97s, miscounted rounds in the lever gun, all sorts of things could cause the hammer to drop on a dead chamber.

Do you get penalized for this?

Thanks

The penalty is the time you wasted.

I once racked a lever round out before firing, so I continued the firing order and when I got to the last target I quickly reloaded another round to finish the stage. If you can reload faster than 5 seconds, it's worth it to not take the miss penalty.

Ring around the Ruger can be cured by a half cock modification. That mod is a good one and really helps against the revolver going click when you inadvertently come off the hammer too quickly.

Jacking a round out of a rifle happens to darn near everyone at some point. Practice your reload or move on and take the miss, unless a clean match is on the line.

Sometimes that click you hear is a dead round. That will be a miss, unless you can get a reload in. I've seen folks reload a rifle and shotgun from a dead round but never a revolver, but I suppose it has occured.

47 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Ring around the Ruger can be cured by a half cock modification. That mod is a good one and really helps against the revolver going click when you inadvertently come off the hammer too quickly.

Jacking a round out of a rifle happens to darn near everyone at some point. Practice your reload or move on and take the miss, unless a clean match is on the line.

Sometimes that click you hear is a dead round. That will be a miss, unless you can get a reload in. I've seen folks reload a rifle and shotgun from a dead round but never a revolver, but I suppose it has occured.

In 2021 I did a revolver single round reload for a dead round at the NY State match.  

The miss would have been 5 seconds of course, the reload and hit took 12 seconds.  

But I got my first major clean match and came in fifth overall, who knew being clean was such an advantage!! :ph34r:

I once shot a stage where all 5 pistol rounds went bang on the first gun, then went click, click, click, click, click on the second gun. I had a clean match going and no spare ammo on my belt, so... I unloaded both pistols, put the live rounds from pistol 2 into pistol 1, and finished the match clean. :lol: Pretty sure it took more than 25 seconds, but... CLEAN! :D

Archived