SASS Wire Forum

Match procedures.

Vail Vigilante

Good Evening Cowboys and Cowgirls!

Just wondering...what exactly is the difference between Double Duelist and Gunfighter in terms of pistol use? 

I know matches might differ in terms of how they handle these next ones but:

When am I allowed to collect my spent cases? 

How many competitors are permitted at the loading and unloading table at a time?

Do you use chamber flags?

Thank You

11 minutes ago, Vail Vigilante said:

Just wondering...what exactly is the difference between Double Duelist and Gunfighter in terms of pistol use?

REF: SHB p.6 

I know matches might differ in terms of how they handle these next ones but:

When am I allowed to collect my spent cases? 

When the brass pickers bring them to the ULT.

How many competitors are permitted at the loading and unloading table at a time?

Depends on a number of factors.

Do you use chamber flags?

NO.

Thank You

You will learn the answers to most of these by attending a match.

Like Pale Wolf says, attend a match or come to Bordertown next week and watch. The loading table will have as many loaders as it can fit and aren't needed to spot, score, time, or pick brass. Part of the duties we share is to pick up your brass and get it to the unloading table for you. (Unless it's a lost brass match.) No chambers flags. The unloading table usually has one or two unloading as well as a watcher. Again, get to a match and don't over think this. Bordertown will have vendors as well as long ranges matches, side matches, and the main matches. Lots of stuff going on. All your questions would be answered by watching.

Just go to a match and SHOOT! Don't waste your time going and observing! You'll learn on the fly. (If you have all the guns that is) Cowboy shooters are the most helpful people on the planet!

Gunfighter is the ONLY shooting style that may have TWO loaded revolvers out of leather at same time. (Gunfighter style may also be shot in B Western).

Duelist is shooting the revolvers with one hand unsupported. Double Duelist is shooting one handed unsupported both hands - but only ONE loaded pistol may be out of leather. Draw right pistol and shoot five, May draw left pistol as soon as the LAST shot of the right pistol is fired. 

This is a great sport! Super friendly people and SAFE!! Some of the rules might seem odd if you haven’t been to a match. If you’re near Tombstone and can get to Bordertown, the Arizona State Championship, GO! You’ll be able to see and LEARN A LOT!!! Because it’s a state shoot, you won’t be able to shoot - only registered competitors may wear firearms - but I PROMISE that the cowboys and cowgirls will give you the warmest welcome you’ve EVER received in a shooting sport and will flood you with information and invitations to matches!

Big hugs! 

Scarlett

download the shooters handbook from www.sassnet.com

To throw a little more confusion in, shooting double duelist style in Gunfighter category is legal. Other than a split pistol stage, I don't know why you'd do it, but you can. I sometimes do it because my brain gets confused about switching leads and I don't want to end up cross-shooting or having one gun go click at the end of the string because I tried switching leads and forgot to shoot the last gun twice.

3 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

Scarlett,

I thing SASS should make you their rule book writer.

I read yours once, and Ive got it.

I asked in the forum because the rule book was not making my brain click on that.

Great Job!

Thank You 

I’m glad I could be of service. :wub: I’m pretty sure that the crowd does NOT want me to be the writer… interpreter, in special cases, maybe! 

There is a LOT of information to process in the beginning!!

Find someone at a club near you and enjoy yourself. It’s the most fun EVER…@Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 Will tell you it’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! :blush:

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I’m glad I could be of service. :wub: I’m pretty sure that the crowd does NOT want me to be the writer… interpreter, in special cases, maybe! 

There is a LOT of information to process in the beginning!!

Find someone at a club near you and enjoy yourself. It’s the most fun EVER…@Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 Will tell you it’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! :blush:

Hugs!

Scarlett

That's right!!

The easiest way to pick your category is to first forget about the costuming and special firearm/ammo categories such as B-Western, Classic Cowboy, etc.  Once you get more comfortable with the basics of the game you can switch to one of those. 

Then what's left is to decide how you want to shoot your pistols:

One at a time with both hands - Traditional

One at a time with one hand - Duelist (Coolest) Whether you shoot one at a time using the same hand (Regular Duelist) or one at a time one with your left hand and the other with your right hand you're still a Duelist.  

Or both pistols out blazing away at the same time - Gunfighter

After you make that decision all that's left is to put you in the correct age range. There are too many of those to list but whoever is signing you up for the match can help with that.

You asked about retrieving your spent brass. Brass picker is one of the posse duties you'll learn when you get out there.  The other members of your posse with pick it up and bring it to you at the unloading table. When you're not shooting you help out by doing that for them. 

Now get out there and start having fun. :)

As a newbie to CAS, I’ve been getting used to how matches are run myself.  You’re getting some excellent advice from here but your best help will come from fellow shooters while attending a match.  I predict that you’ll be as amazed as I was (and still am) as to how friendly and helpful those folks will be.  Even though I reviewed the rules before starting, I still made quite a few mistakes during my first one.  Members of the posse gently got me squared away with no drama.  Sure, you’ll run into the occasional shooter that’s not very approachable but those are few.  My advice is to go to a match, let them know that you’re new and want to learn, and have fun!

Archived