SASS Wire Forum

Birchwood Casey gun scrubber

Buckshot Bear

Simple question; why do you want something else?   Gunscrubber works, is designed to be used on guns, and is safe to use.  Trying to use something that's not really made for use on guns, and has the potential to accidentally create a dangerous reaction seems to be to not be worth the trouble.   And when you consider that our guns can cost us literally thousands of dollars, is Gunscrubber really all that expensive?

I tried the non chlorinated brake cleaner from Auto Zone and left finger prints in the finish of my stock. Seems to have solvents that Gun Scrubber doesn't. Noticed it quick enough to avert major damage. Also the pressing was a bit much. JMHO 

30 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I tried the non chlorinated brake cleaner from Auto Zone and left finger prints in the finish of my stock. Seems to have solvents that Gun Scrubber doesn't. Noticed it quick enough to avert major damage. Also the pressing was a bit much. JMHO 

I keep non chlorinated brake cleaner on the shelf for cleaning glop out of disassembled old guns.   I use it on the metal parts only.   With the nozzle straw on, it's great for cleaning ancient grunge out of Marlin extractor tunnels in the bolt.  

I have to agree on the Marlin extractor for sure. I now remove all furniture first!, if I use it.

https://slip2000.com/collections/cleaners

All of their cleaners have preformed well for me , I use allot of the 725 and carbon killer.

I understand the desire to save money but I have never understood not using cleaners, oils and grease that are intended for firearms. Using brake cleaners, and automotive oils and grease is just inviting trouble for very little cost savings. 

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You must be buying the expensive stuff.  I buy the cheapest that I can find.  Never had a problem with it affecting finish.  Chlorinated yes, but never with non-chlorinated.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Out of curiosity, does it affect wood finishes?

Not that I've noticed.  But then again, I haven't really gotten much if any on wood parts.  My pistols don't have wood grips and I only use it on the inside of the barrels of my shotgun after they've been removed so it doesn't come anywhere near wood in those two cases.  With rifle I'm sure I do get a little bit on the fore end as I'm cleaning the barrel and action but it's not much. 

I was cleaning my Marlin and could feel my fingers sticking to the wood. Rubbed hard with a dry cloth and all the finger marks disappeared.

Archived