SASS Wire Forum

Shooting categories

I used to shoot SASS with my Dad.  He passed away in 2016.  I'll bet I haven't shot a match in 10 years give or take. We used to shoot a category called Traditional. Perhaps

they have changed the names. We were drawing and firing pistols two handed. Strong side left and strong side right. I was perusing the book online but still have questions.

Reason being; my younger brother wants to shoot SASS. He already joined so we need to get ready.  I mentioned that since he was new and I haven't shot in a long time, we

might do well to attend some training.  I noticed that Evil Roy gives instruction and not too far from us. Any suggestions are welcome.

Horace

Show up at a monthly match for the club where you expect to be shooting. Introduce yourselves and it will all come together. Have fun and Welcome back to the addiction.

Your old category likely became an aged based one nowadays.

"Traditional" and "Modern" categories (based on revolver sights) were eliminated in 2009.

Current "Age Based" categories allow "any main match revolver".

and "Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter."

"Cowboy" is an open category with no age parameters.

REF: SHB pp.5-10

Howdy Horace.  As far as Evil Roy, his training is very good but I'd suggest getting back into the swing of it and get a few matches under your belt, especially for your brother, before going for that.  But don't wait too long because older bad habits are harder to break. :)

Just go shoot! They'll advise you on what category to sign up for. Don't drive all the way to a cowboy shoot and NOT shoot! You've already been shooting so go for it!:)

Archived