SASS Wire Forum

"Greatest Song Ever Recorded" related

I've been enjoying the post started by Okie Sawbones, and it got me thinking of a music-related question. Not wanting to derail the thread, I decided to ask something slightly different here.

To whit; how diverse is your musical taste? Most of the answers to Okie's post were '60s and '70s rock and pop, but I know that's not all anyone here listens to.

A quick perusal of my MP3 showed a real mixed bag:

Rock from the '60s through today

Pop from the '60s through today

Some disco. Hey, it's upbeat and makes me want to move...don't judge! :lol:

"Alternate" music from '60s on up...stuff that isn't easily defined (Hocus Pocus by Focus for example.)

Reggae (almost exclusively Bob M.)

Early rap (prior to the violence and foul language of today's "mumble rap" stuff...if you've heard Baby Got Back, Gangster's Paradise, Funky Cold Medina, or Humpty Dance, you    know the kind of OG rap I like)

'70s through '90s metal (but not death metal)

'80s and '90s punk (the real stuff, like Angry Samoans, although some of the more mainstream groups like The Clash or Dead Kennedys had a few good tunes)

Classical (string and piano pieces mostly...and don't laugh! Most metal-heads like classical.)

Some techno 

Classic C&W/ cowboy

Blues, although I don't lean heavily towards one type

Even a couple show tunes

f-we-have-different-tastes-of-music-do-we-have-33731900-3810937141.jpeg

I am similarly diverse. In my collection and listened to regularly

Relatively heavy on the classic rock, mid-Sixties through mid-Eighties

A good amount of Eighties New Wave.

A fair amount of Eighties + Hip Hop (Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, etc...)

A good share of Metal (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Testament, etc...) My last time in a mosh pit was at a Testament concert. I hurt too much at work the next day.

A bit of hardcore punk (Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front)

A bit of Jazz (Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi)

Some modern Pop-Punk (Fall Out Boy, etc...)

A bit of big band / vocal jazz (Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr., Michael Feinstein etc...)

A good amount of classical from Beethoven to Handel to Bach

A decent amount of country, with none of the current country pop.

Also several blues artists, some world beat stuff and more

60’s. 70’s, 80’s rock.

John Denver, 3 Dog Night, America, CCR, etc…

old country, not this new crap that sounds more like rap/pop

George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Waylon and Willie, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, etc…

6 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

old country, not this new crap that sounds more like (c)rap/pop

George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Waylon and Willie, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, etc…

A lot of the same here. '70s, 80's, 90's Country is my "Go To". I could listen to it all day. A close second is 60's and 70's Rock. 

I can listen to a little of a few other genres, but not a steady diet of much else. 

Side Note: To give you an idea, when "Urban Cowboy" came out, the people I hung with thought it was one of the best movies to ever have been released. We were Country before Country was cool.B)

The only music station my car radio is tuned to is Classical.

I like '60s, '70s rock and such; Stones, Dylan, Procol Harum, etc.

I haven't actually bought much music over the years, and the last I bought was CDs. I like music all right, but it doesn't play as big a part in my life as it does with many folks.

What seems to be universal regarding music…people think what they like is the music all others should like too. 

I used to love music of the 60’s and early 70’s. Then one day I reached what I call “same old music over and over and over” saturation. That, and much of that music comes with other mental baggage - I had a rough childhood. Nuff bout that. 

Anyway, here goes. 

My favorite music:

Heavy Metal

Some late 70’s hard rock

Modern alternative with a punkish flair

Modern metal if it isn’t that death metal sh**
Late 50’s early 60’s studio Jazz

50’s rock - the roots of rock. 

37 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What seems to be universal regarding music…people think what they like is the music all others should like too. 

I don't know that I'd go that far. I like what I like. Other people might not like it, and they might not like what I like. As long as they're not trying to blast it in my ear, they can listen to whatever they want. 

As far as I'm concerned, it's like the rest of life. Leave me alone to do what I'll do, and I'll leave you alone to do what you'll do. 

Archived