SASS Wire Forum

Would you buy multiples of the same gun?

Alpo

I have several single actions, but some are nickel and some are blue and some are parkerized, they're made by four or five different makers, they have barrel lengths running from three and a half to seven and a half inches, they come in small frame medium frame and large frame, and I have them in about seven different chamberings.

These are not the same gun.

I know of people that have multiple ARs. But they are in different chamberings, they have skinny barrels and heavy target barrels, some have carrying handles and some don't. They are not the same gun.

There was a movie - dumb movie. Hulk Hogan was a SEAL. With hair down to his shoulders he was a SEAL. And someone got kidnapped and they had him hidden on Devil's Island which was off the coast of Florida. There is no Devil's Island off the coast of Florida.

So Hulk and some of his SEAL buddies are going to do a rescue, but this cannot be an official government sanctioned rescue (don't remember why - this movie was back in the '80s) so they are doing it on their own. Hulk is supplying the weaponry. So they show him going into his vault. There's a light machine gun there, but it's been so long ago I don't remember if it was a 1919 or an M60, and it doesn't matter because they didn't use it. And he has a rifle rack. An A-frame rack it would not look at a place in a military barracks. Got 10 guns down each side of the A-frame. All M16s.

I can see, if you have the money and the desire to collect machine guns, to have a Thompson and an MP5 and an MP40 and a Uzi and a Swedish K and PPSh. To have variations - a Colt 1921 and a 1928 overstamp, and a Savage-made and a Auto Ordnance. Have a MP5 in 9 and in 40 and in 10, and an SD. A Uzi and a mini Uzi and a micro Uzi. And even to have an M16 (yuch). But to have 20 of them all the same?

Mine, a matched pair of Lipsey’s Single Six .22 LR/.22 Magnums with Ajax Sambar grips. ( Short barreled .22 SS Single Sixes ain’t all that common.). My practice guns when I was a SASS competitor.  One for right hand, one for left hand.  If I had 2 more hands, I coulda bought 2 more guns!!

84D23A73-DBD2-484F-B08B-0A2A211725D6.thumb.jpeg.3fafcff648a8822d40d3084ce20a8568.jpeg

I have 2 pair each of Uberti's, blue and CCH, 4.75" barrels, in both .45, and .357. I also have several blued Taurus 85s. 2 each of 2" barrel and 3" barrel. Also a stainless version of each. 

If I were in the position of the movie character, thinking I just might have to arm a squad, I could see having the selection he did. And yes, it's a stupid movie.

For some guns it take 20 to make sure one will work. A Jennings .22 comes to mind.

I've had about 26 SAAs, 5 1/2" .45 Colt, but the most at one time was four.  I now have two, and two 1860 Army Colt replicas, and a couple of 1911s .  I've also owned nine or ten 12 gauge Ithaca M-37 pump shotguns, one at a time.

The most identical copies I've ever had at one time are these ten Lipsey's Ruger New Vaquero .44 Specials. The three on the right have SBH hammers because they're the ones I shoot. I've got a set of 5 stainless 7 1/2" fixed sight ROA's, a set of 4 Single Six .32's, a set of 4 birdshead New Vaquero .45 acp's, and a set of 4 Armi Jager .38-40's, plus several other sets of two or three. I've got three "short spur" stainless 4 5/8" .357 New Vaqueros, and three standard stainless 4 5/8" .357 NV's with SBH hammers, so that could possibly count as 6, I suppose.

44Vaqueros.thumb.jpg.0a4b765ddf76a871b083edad0273f20d.jpg

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0118645/

It makes more sense for military personnel who had been highly trained on that weapon system.  You havethe muscle memory and knowledge of that gun.

Yes, I've had exact duplicates of a few hunting rifles for hunting trips.  If something happens on the trip, I had an exact backup.  

Have two 9.3x57, but one is a custom FN and the other is a Husqvarna. I have two Winchester 94 30/30s, but one is a 20-inch and one is a 16. I have two M1 carbines, but one is an actual wartime and the other is a aftermarket, one has post-war modifications while the other is set up like an original - flip sight, no bayonet lug, push button safety.

See none of these guns are the same. They're very similar, but they're not the same.

I do have identical pistols, but the game calls for two pistols. And while I do have several 1911 type guns, one is a 1911, one is an A1, one is a Gold Cup, one is an Officer's Model. One is a 40 Smith, one is a 9 mm, one is a 22 long rifle. Three are Commander size. Two are all stainless steel, one is aluminum (but no plastic), two are half stainless. And one is coated with green Teflon. They are made by Colt, by Kimber, by Springfield, and by AMT. They are similar, but they are not the same.

If I had a bunch of buddies who were very skilled door kickers and i was in to collecting I might make sure i had a load out for my buddies in case they showed up unexpectedly an we wanted to re enact our glory days

I have 8 or 10 matched pairs of single action revolvers, including at least 4 sets of consecutive serial numbered guns.  For non CAS, I have some with similarities (15 1911 variants), but no exact matches.

I have 2 pairs of Colts. One pair is 4 3/4" barrels the other pair are 5 1/2". They're all blued and in .357. 

I also have a matching pair of Wranglers

I remember when Bill Ruger brought out his Bearcats (at something like $29.95 each, and a box of ammo was around fifty cents) I'd buy one, shoot it until it jammed up or got too cruddy to work right (or until I needed a few bucks for something else) and then go get another one.  Must have had six or seven, maybe more over a ten or twelve year period.  The last one was in 1965.  I gave it to my wife as a wedding gift, later had it engraved, and after she died I had it refinished.  

My daughter has it now and carries in daily (in the original Hunter basket weave holster, but on a new belt) at her place near Flat Rock, South Carolina.  She just loves her "Momma's sixgun".

Until I sold a pair, I had seven 1860 Colt replicas. All of them were exactly alike except for the brand.  All are CCH frames, army grips, .44 cal, same cap blocks and narrowed hammers, same carving and checkering on the grips, same barrel length, same sights, and as near to identical trigger pull and hammer pull as I could get.

I have two pairs of 1875 Remington copies, they are mostly the same. One pair is consecutive serial numbers. They have the same grips, all the same spring rates, same caliber, etc… the other pair is similar, only differing in barrel length and the carving on the grips.

In my safe are three Winchester  ‘97s. All solid frame, all 18.5” barrel, all tuned exactly the same. I can tell ‘em apart, but most people can’t.

My son has a pair of stainless Ruger Vaqueros. Everything is exactly the same on them as well and I just sold an identical pair of Uberti Model P Jr.s that my grandson decided he had outgrown.

I shot the 1860s in competition for over ten years.  I couldn’t ever tell you which two of them were in my holsters unless I looked at the serial numbers. They even had the same Tresso nipples on them!  It meant one less different thing I might have to deal with in competition and it’s way easier to keep spare parts and repair tools when you travel.

All my SASS revolvers are pairs of the same make and model, not same production year.
22 Single Six Bisley, 357 Vaquero Bisley, 44 Vaquero Bisley, 357 Vaquero SASS pair for my wife.

The rest are all single and unique models.
All Rugers.

Long story short. This was almost a decade ago. I had read many times here and another Forum how much one wanted a Mauser Broomhandle.  Well it happened a local collector of these had passed away and his widow offered me them at a price that I found unbelievable low and that her husband had set a price for me for the collection.

After acquiring them, I picked what I wanted to keep for myself and offered them here and after a month on the Classified here at 600.00 for a 9MM version, there were 2, and 750.00 for the 7.63 with holster stocks of which were 3 of them. Buyers choice. Not a single interest. Put em on GunBroker and they all were cobbled up within 24hours.

Maybe some here remember these? There were a total of 22 Broomhandles, 15 of which I still have.

But its the only time I ever, except for my Rugers, bought multiple firearms.

20 hours ago, E.D. BLACK said:

Yes

0912C353-B2F1-4A0C-BC62-ED415F1D1026.png

363C25A6-8491-4A23-8CB6-B3EF82940D7F.jpeg

E7DF97FC-EAB9-4449-BF7D-4195D883382A.jpeg

44170E07-06A6-4831-B5B0-EC59355055E9.jpeg

40FE7396-8C2A-4650-8228-B6AA78363305.jpeg

Like your Colt double eagles.  I thought only a few had one.  It was my first carry gun as an officer, I bought it from my chief.  I once had 2 just in case one broke since I had the holster for it set up.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Like your Colt double eagles.  I thought only a few had one.  It was my first carry gun as an officer, I bought it from my chief.  I once had 2 just in case one broke since I had the holster for it set up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlN5BNbqgE

7 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Long story short. This was almost a decade ago. I had read many times here and another Forum how much one wanted a Mauser Broomhandle.  Well it happened a local collector of these had passed away and his widow offered me them at a price that I found unbelievable low and that her husband had set a price for me for the collection.

After acquiring them, I picked what I wanted to keep for myself and offered them here and after a month on the Classified here at 600.00 for a 9MM version, there were 2, and 750.00 for the 7.63 with holster stocks of which were 3 of them. Buyers choice. Not a single interest. Put em on GunBroker and they all were cobbled up within 24hours.

Maybe some here remember these? There were a total of 22 Broomhandles, 15 of which I still have.

But its the only time I ever, except for my Rugers, bought multiple firearms.

Wow! Had I been on here (stopped CAS for 10 years) you would be posting “Not a single interest except for the one Pat Riot bought.”

Nowadays I don’t even bother looking at the prices of them when I encounter them, which is rarely any more. Mucho Higho 

Also, my interests have changed. I no longer really want one. 

Back when I lived in CA & wanted to start SASS shooting the misses also wanted to try CMS.  She had the horse & needed guns.  I had one 357 SS OMV however CMS uses 45 Colt black powder blanks so I decided to buy two SS Ruger Montado's.  CA is and was at the time a 1 gun a month state.  A LGS had a pair so we each bought 0ne.  I know the grip enhancements aren't legal for sanctioned matches so if I ever decided to seriously compete I'd fill the checkering.  I have since added a Uberti 1873 in 357 to my CASS firearms collection.  However, I lost out on a Gunbroker bid for a match to my SS OMV.  Had to settle for a Lipsey's 357 which has blued finish & laser engraved cylinder.

Remember when Rose's sold milsurp bolt guns for <$100?  I bought multiples of SMLEs, Swedish Mausers and Finish Nagants until I found ones that shot well.  I could hold 3" 100 yard groups in DCM matches (with much younger eyes), once I weeded out the lesser guns.

Two SS SASS NMVs in .45 Colt for me.

Oh yeah a couple of Derringers. I had to buy both for the deal

I had a couple of 1871 Open Tops, but they were safe Queens and I just sold them.

SASS New Ruger Vaqueros and Black Hills Leather Holsters 005 (2).JPG

Open tops with 1866 Yellow Boy all in 45 Colt Classic Cowboy Guns 001 (3).JPG

Lets see, I have 5 Ruger 3 screw .357 Blackhawks and 4 Ruger .22 Single sixes, So I guess the answer is Yes.

Archived