SASS Wire Forum

Greatest song ever recorded

There are so many songs and feelings - impossible to say best.

from WOT music (wide open throttle) because the volume knob and the speedometer seemed to be linked together...

Sweet Home Alabama...Lynrd Sknyrd

Hotel California...The Eagles

Radar Love...Golden Earring

Then there were the guilty pleasures of the songs you just had to sing along with at full volume...

American Pie...Don McLean

Keep your hands to yourself...Georgia Satellites

Friends in low places...Garth Brooks

And the songs that made you marvel at the voice as an instrument...

Unchained Melody...The Righteous Brothers

When a man loves a woman...Percy Sledge

I would do anything for love.. Meat Loaf

And the songs that never fail to bring a tear to my eye...

In the Ghetto...Elvis Presley

Go rest high on that mountain...Vince Gill

He stopped loving her today...George Jones

And I have a few thousand "runners up" to every one of these.

Too many songs and too many genres to ever pick one single best.

And I haven't even touched on...

The Ride of the Valykries...Wagner

Sitting on the dock of the bay...Otis Redding

Beautiful World...Louis Armstrong

Hello Darling...Conway Twitty

Another Brick in the wall...Pink Floyd

Streets of Bakersfield...Buck Owens

Foggy Mountain Breakdown...Earl Scruggs

People are Strange...The Doors

Suspicious Minds...Dwight Yoakum

First of all you have all different genres of music, jazz, rock, country, classical, opera etc etc. How can you say the "Best song ever recorded'? Maybe the best song in your mind but necessarily in others!:blink: 

Too many artists and songs

In no order and in some cases specific versions:

Sinatra and the Count Basie Orchestra conducted by Quincy Jones  "Fly Me to the Moon"

John Lee Hooker "Boom Boom"  from Best of Friends

Buddy Guy and the Jools Holland Orchestra "She Suits Me to a Tee"

Los Lobos "Mas Y Mas"

Tom Jones's cover of John Lee Hooker's "Burning Hell"

Linda Eder "Man of La Mancha"  watch the video on Youtube

Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong "Duke's Place".  The "Great Summit - The Master Takes" is the only studio album these two legends of jazz ever recorded together and pretty much a must own if you are a fan of either musician or that style of jazz.

13 hours ago, DocWard said:

Some people consider it heresy, but I like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's version better. Also an amazing version of Superstition.

I love SRV's cover of Superstition, and his version of Voodoo Child is fantastic...I just find Jimi's vocal's hit my ear better for whatever reason. One of the things I find so fascinating about music is that the same song can sound pleasant to some, "meh" to others, and like fingers on a chalkboard to another group. And whatever someone likes is almost never "wrong"...unless it's mumble rap or country rap (which I just call "c.rap"). That stuff's for sycophants and products of incest.

OK, I try not to do this often, but sometimes you just gotta:  J S Bach.  Concerto for 3 violins & orchestra in D major.

Go to UTube.  If you don't think it's worth 20 minutes of your life, I don't want to know ya.

Somewhere in there (probably during the ethereal adagio) you're going to realize you're not hearing motif & accompaniment.  Everybody is playing a self-sustainable melody & they all blend so seamlessly you're barely aware.

Douglas Adams wrote (I think in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency) that Bach wasn't human.  Bach was an alien computer that was keeping a spaceship alive eons after its alloted time.  Listening to the concerto (which NEVER fails to stand every goose bump on my body on high alert) I can almost believe it.

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

OK, I try not to do this often, but sometimes you just gotta:  J S Bach.  Concerto for 3 violins & orchestra in D major.

Go to UTube.  If you don't think it's worth 20 minutes of your life, I don't want to know ya.

Somewhere in there (probably during the ethereal adagio) you're going to realize you're not hearing motif & accompaniment.  Everybody is playing a self-sustainable melody & they all blend so seamlessly you're barely aware.

Douglas Adams wrote (I think in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency) that Bach wasn't human.  Bach was an alien computer that was keeping a spaceship alive eons after its alloted time.  Listening to the concerto (which NEVER fails to stand every goose bump on my body on high alert) I can almost believe it.

Bach is my favorite composer. The sheer number of compositions he created is staggering. 
After seeing St Matthew Passion online, I’d love to go to see it performed live

21 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

The sheer number of compositions he created is staggering. 

And you know what else is totally cool?  Anything he ever wrote can be played on any instrument man can devise.  I once heard Little Fugue in G Minor played on kazoos & it still sounded like music.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, MizPete said:

I am definitely a fan of Bach, no question about his genius. I’ve also performed in a choir performing Hansel’s The Messiah, and been utterly awed by his genius as well. For me, though, Beethoven stands apart. The First Movement of the Ninth never fails to give me chills, and the Ode to Joy simply causes my spirit to soar. There is no other singular piece of music that effects me the way it does. 

Edit: I should add I’ve been next to a horn section performing Copeland’s Fanfare For The Common Man, and it is truly inspiring. 

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

, Beethoven stands apart

I also enjoy Beethoven, largely because I can play some of his piano concerti, and because Grandson #2 plays 2nd mmt of Pathetique on his cello to my much less competant accompaniment - such a treasured experience!  Beethoven's melodies are not necessarily spectacular or innovative but every note is perfect.  I agree on Ode to Joy - it truly is.  When I worked for a SOB boss & my family came home to hear me playing Beethoven, they knew I'd had a bad day & Ludwig was helping me work it out.

And you want to hear something totally cool:  I shared a wall with Grandson #2 at BabyGirl's house & once woke to hear him playing the violin part of Napoleon's Retreat (from Rodeo) which he'd just heard somewhere & just had to do on his cello.  Nothing better on this planet!

Re choir:  I spent most of my life promising God something BIG if he'd just let me be able to sing.  At my age, he's run out of time.

For country music I think it has to be two songs by folks who used to be married to each other.  

Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man" and George Jones "He Stopped Loving Her Today".

For Rock N' Roll, has to be Jerry Lee Lewis and  "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!" 

For pop music, Frank Sinatra's "I'll Do It My Way".

On 10/13/2022 at 5:11 PM, DocWard said:

I'm not sure it qualifies as a "song" but the greatest musical piece ever written, hands down, is Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 by Ludwig Von Beethoven. Obviously not recorded until long after it was written and performed. I'm partial to the version below, because I was there for the performance, which was amazing, and my oldest daughter was in the choir. The Ninth starts at about the 27:35 mark:

I prefer sym #3 but to each his own. Can't go wrong with Beethoven!

On 10/15/2022 at 4:51 PM, DocWard said:

I am definitely a fan of Bach, no question about his genius. I’ve also performed in a choir performing Hansel’s The Messiah, and been utterly awed by his genius as well. For me, though, Beethoven stands apart. The First Movement of the Ninth never fails to give me chills, and the Ode to Joy simply causes my spirit to soar. There is no other singular piece of music that effects me the way it does.

How about Chuck Berry? :lol:

44 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I think Chuck smoked something before that performance 

No more and probably not any less than before any other performance!  

Chuck was as high energy a performer as ever was!! Elvis learned a move or two from ol’ Chuck.

I saw him a time or two and he ALWAYS put on a show!!

Just too many great songs for me to give the title of "best song ever written", so I'll just pass on this topic.

Tex 

4 hours ago, Tex Wilson said:

4 hours ago, Tex Wilson said:

Just too many great songs for me to give the title of "best song ever written",

Absolutely right, but I just love seeing what everybody has to throw on the pile.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Chuck was as high energy a performer as ever was!! Elvis learned a move or two from ol’ Chuck.

I saw him a time or two and he ALWAYS put on a show!!

I was an oldies disk jockey back in my misspent youth in the early 1970s.  I went to a lot of concerts once I was getting a paycheck.  I saw Chuck Berry at the Specturm in Philadephia and at a club somewhere in NJ.  But I really like this cover by Linda Ronstadt

On 10/14/2022 at 12:11 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So many.  So many.  I have hundreds of favorites

THIS!!!

Archived