SASS Wire Forum

Greatest song ever recorded

I thought the song "Tribute" by Tenancious D was the greatest song in the world? Even if it did not actually sound like that (that is why it is a Tribute).

But seriously, there have been so many really great songs in even the last 60 years. "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield comes to mind, keeping up with Okie's 60's hit.

49 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

That one song that gets your foot tapping and your hand slapping. Artist and song. Your opinion, no link needed.

Liked that one from day one.:)

I'm not sure it qualifies as a "song" but the greatest musical piece ever written, hands down, is Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 by Ludwig Von Beethoven. Obviously not recorded until long after it was written and performed. I'm partial to the version below, because I was there for the performance, which was amazing, and my oldest daughter was in the choir. The Ninth starts at about the 27:35 mark:

Impossible for me to single out just one song.

The original Allman Brothers version of “Dreams I’ll Never See” is certainly one The instrumental work and the arrangement are phenomenal!!

The Beatles recording of “Here Comes The Sun” takes me to places I really like to go to.

”Against The Wind” by Bob Seger and The Allman Brothers’  “Whippin’ Post” descibe a lot of my life and tell me that even if it’s hard, it’s still worth it.

The Grateful Dead’s “Touch of Grey” kinda’ suits me.

And “God Bless The Child” as done by Blood Sweat And Tears is my “thumb my nose at the world” theme song.

”Searchin’ For A Rainbow” by the Marshall Tucker Band keeps me optimistic.

For sheer entertainment and variety, “The Long One” again by the Beatles.

Finally, I keep coming back to a single performance during the 2013 Crossroads Festival.  Sonny Landreth and Derek Trucks doing Sonny’s “Congo Square”. If you’re into nitromethane fueled guitar, this one is what you’re looking for!

ENJOY!!

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

That one song that gets your foot tapping and your hand slapping. Artist and song. Your opinion, no link needed.

Beyond Beethoven, I had to sit and think, and think some more, especially given the caveat above. I simply can't think of just one. About the best I can do is give one of my many favorites by one of my two favorite bands, Rush. As much as I love Led Zeppelin, time-wise, Neil Peart, may he rest in peace, pretty much wrote the soundtrack for my life. While he had some help writing the Tom Sawyer, the song has long been a fan favorite, and never fails to motivate me, get my head moving, trying to wrap my mind around the instruments, the time signature changes, the lyrics, and more. I've likened playing air drums along to the fills at the 2:35-2:45 mark as a moment of Zen for any true Rush fan, and even some only-sorta fans. Seeing it from the third row of a concert is nearly transcendent. "A modern day warrior, mean, mean stride..."

Toss up- from one of the greatest live performances ever, so good it had tracks on two albums-

Allman Brothers Live at Filmore East and Eat a Peach:

In memory of Elizabeth Reed and Mountain Jam

Dwayne’s last solo improvising “will the circle be unbroken” always moves me, particularly considering his (and Barry Oakley’s) departure in the near future.

46 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Anyone list Pantera "Cemetery Gates"?? One of the greatest guitar solos ever.....turn it on, turn it up, you won't regret it.

I agree. Excellent. 

This is one of my favorites 

Too many genres and too many nits to pick trying to decide what is the "greatest". One that I always crank loud and has to be one of my personal faves  is "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Hendrix...some incredible playing and fantastic vocals. "Immigrant Song" is pretty far up my list as well for the same reasons. Then there's "Eine Klein Nachtmusik" for when I'm feeling classy...

My personal greatest ever is not a song, but an album. In 1970 I was 9 years old. Much of the rock music on the radio was in some way about Vietnam, some about drugs and the rest was about love and being free. To this 9 year old it was all convoluted.
My Dad was a general contractor. He hired a crew of hippies. One of his guy's, a hippie named Max, gave him an album to check out. 
One rainy day my Dad was at work. I listened to that album and found something spectacular. When my Dad came home I asked him if I could have it. He laughed at first then realized I was sincere. He gave it to me. It was the very first album by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. That music changed my life. 

Here is the entire album on YouTube, if you’d care to hear it. I still listen to it on occasion. It still moves me. 

34 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Saw Metallica on my 18th birthday. They opened for Ozzy. July 16, 1986.

Huh...you were born exactly one year before me. We both share the anniversary of Trinity (first atom bomb) and I was born on the day Apollo 11 lifted off. Between the good 60s and 70s music still getting air time, and the excellent metal bands, I think we both grew up with the best Rock. 

2 minutes ago, Noah Mercy, SASS #29066 said:

Too many genres and too many nits to pick trying to decide what is the "greatest". One that I always crank loud and has to be one of my personal faves  is "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Hendrix...some incredible playing and fantastic vocals. 

Some people consider it heresy, but I like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble's version better. Also an amazing version of Superstition.

Way too much music to choose one as the greatest song ever recorded that gets your foot tapping and hands slapping.

I must say that this here crowd has some great taste in music...real great taste.B)

I’ll play, at least in the rocknroll category:

The Ventures playing “Gone, Gone, Gone”.  An Everly Brothers song, later covered by Allison Krause and Robert Plant.  Love ‘em all.  It was my good luck song on the jukebox at the Timber Tavern in Boulder, Colorado in the mid-60s.

Chicago's live version of 25 or 6 to 4, Terry Kats was Jimi Hendrix' favorite guitar player.

Lynyrd Skynyrd live in 77 at Oakland, Freebird.

Pat Benatar, Heartbreaker.

Okay I will admit I am in love with guitars and the great lead guitarists. Never had the skills to do more than “garage” band or high school dance music but my heroes have always been lead guitarists. 
choice #2

Jessica

by the Allman Brothers. 

Roseanne Cash. Tennessee Flat Top Box.

Almost a sacrilege to say it but she did it better than her Father.  

Archived