SASS Wire Forum

recommendation for simple functional cylinder loading stand for Ruger Old Army

Nostrum Damus SASS #110702

I built this one for a pard a few years ago. It folds for easier storage in your gun cart. The large round tin will hold 100 balls and the small tin holds Wonder wads there is a holder to hold  the brass powder flask on the back of the upright also.

D9B098FD-7420-4AC1-8493-CEB5FCFB82FF.jpeg

34B5B3E8-E49E-4784-949B-260C7EDC974C.jpeg

This one might be a little more involved than you want and it takes up a lot of room in your gun cart.

DB65B0B5-2EAF-4642-BF67-56A1B06E51CA.jpeg

AAFB80C7-7238-46E6-83B7-58A834D389CA.jpeg

140F41C1-D7CE-4BCB-B919-4B6BF9C5F8AA.jpeg

FC9CCB1A-DC14-4E97-8DFB-000A4A140723.jpeg

A14A3629-B948-4585-8FFA-C85D6B2E6A50.jpeg

Seriously, the two loaders shown raise a good issue.  It seems to me to be much more convenient to load the cylinder removed from the pistol, so that's the sort of stand I'm thinking of getting, instead of the stand for the pistol itself.  Am I wrong?

58 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

The bargain stand and any others that look like it are a PITA to use.

If you are going to load off the gun one from Bang and Clang or one of these https://powderinc.com/product-category/cylinder-loader/

The other one I would recommend is a "Tower of Power". AFAIK the only way to get one of Dick Dastardly's Tower of Power is to find a used one.

Loading on or off the gun is personal preference. You will find people firmly in both camps.

I find it much more efficient to load open top Colt clones and ROAs on the gun using a wooden stand. You may need a loading lever extension for pistols with barrels shorter than 5".

Remington New Model Army's (1858) tend to foul easily due to the small base pin. Because you have to remove the cylinder to clean the base pin it is just as easy to load using a separate stand. 

Here is a picture of the wooden loading stand I made.  Bottom drawer hold round balls. Middle drawer holds a spare capper, extra tin of caps, and other accessories. The top drawer is actually a false front to make the top compartment look nice.  I keep the powder flask, syringe of grease, a rag, and anything else too large for the drawers. 

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.bc4184b6d0de965f02c6923ec4f4ac78.JPG

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.5708bcc8c0e3a3aab57b6afd59012978.JPG

IMG_0379.thumb.JPG.b6dbb838d2e9040b5a8ff65391e7662f.JPG

I have 2 Powder Inc cylinder loading stands.

Bought the second on from a pard to use as a back up.

Never needed it.

First one is about 20+ years old -- Used every week during the shooting season,

When I get out of the game, I'll sell it for as much or more then I paid for it.

https://powderinc.com/product-category/cylinder-loader/

--Dawg

FullSizeRender.jpg

OK, Prairie Dawg and other off-gun loaders, this means I basically need a second gun cart as my mobile workbench to wheel from stage to stage, right?  It seems like a whole lot of "accoutrements" that actual cowboys probably didn't have bolted to back of their saddles?  Maybe I should have thought this through before I picked up Flaco Joe's sweet pair of Ruger Old Armys?  :huh:

2 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

OK, Prairie Dawg and other off-gun loaders, this means I basically need a second gun cart as my mobile workbench to wheel from stage to stage, right?  It seems like a whole lot of "accoutrements" that actual cowboys probably didn't have bolted to back of their saddles?  Maybe I should have thought this through before I picked up Flaco Joe's sweet pair of Ruger Old Armys?  :huh:

Buy some conversion cylinders and shoot .45 Colt, .45 Scofield. Cowboy .45 Special cartridges, no loading stand needed. Add Belt Mountain quick disconnect base pins and you’re set.

8E07C7F1-A2E3-46B8-A921-796A36B1F39E.jpeg

EA4A44E1-322B-4E62-B30B-60837E747003.jpeg

Nope:

I keep my cylinder loader and all my cap gun accouterments in an MTM dry box (Mine's green).

I work the unloading table as I load my guns for the next stage.

Takes me about 3 shooters to get them ready for the next stage, and I'm doing Posse Work while I'm loading.

Powder, balls, caps, wads, & a few basic tools all fit easily in the dry box

YL:

I never cared much for the QD base pins.
All my ROAs do wear a belt mountain base pin with the knurled end.

Still like to turn the screw to put them in & take them out though

--Dawg

PS -- You make awful purdy pistol stands!!!

7 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Nope:

I keep my cylinder loader and all my cap gun accouterments in an MTM dry box (Mine's green).

I work the unloading table as I load my guns for the next stage.

Takes me about 3 shooters to get them ready for the next stage, and I'm doing Posse Work while I'm loading.

Powder, balls, caps, wads, & a few basic tools all fit easily in the dry box

Makes PERFECT GOOD SENSE, thank you!  I always do posse work anyway -- I guess someone else can get the bribe money for not seeing misses. :D

Yul Lose, if I wanted to keep shooting .45 Colt (and I do, too), I'll just shoot my OMVs for that.  As Bullion Rose says, I'll do anything that involves more "kit" to play with.  All these BP gadgets and tools, it's like Christmas in October.  And judging from what's all over Home Depot as of last weekend, it must ACTUALLY be Christmas in October.  

I even figured out all by my lonesome that the nipples don't get capped until the loading table!

IMG-20221012-WA0001.jpg

16 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Seriously, the two loaders shown raise a good issue.  It seems to me to be much more convenient to load the cylinder removed from the pistol, so that's the sort of stand I'm thinking of getting, instead of the stand for the pistol itself.  Am I wrong?

In the 19 years that I competed with percussion revolvers, I always loaded them with the cylinder in the gun.  It was quicker and reduced the number of things I had to take to the range.  After completing a stage, I could recharge my guns while acting as the Unloading Table Officer.  It took about two shooters to get them recharged.  (Stop recharging and give the shooter you are checking your full attention.  Resume recharging after you have cleared the shooter and his guns.). Leaving the posse chores to others to recharge your revolvers gives Frontiersmen a bad rap.

I made a video of how I do it.  Note that once I begin recharging, the gun never leaves my hand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDHrO29fwM&t=13s

I will have to be in J-Bar's camp. I like to travel light, even though I do like gadgets. Gun cart space is prime real estate and I'm not looking for a walk-in closet to wheel around a match.

But . . . . .

I have been only shooting CB pistols for about a year, so I never say never.

Like anything else in this game, go to a couple of matches and try things out. What looks cool for the next guy may not be a good fit for you. If loading in hand is a PITA, now you know what to get.

CB pistols do involve extra steps which can add to fun or frustration. Like my maiden voyage using CB pistols at a match. I was so focused on the caps having a good fit that I forgot the powder and ball part of the process. Well, the posse had a good laugh as I popped off 10 caps at the targets, who by all accounts, were laughing as well.:D

11 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Most important thing is to not over think it. You'll just end up making a simple process more  complicated. Keep in mind that the first few times you shoot a match with C&B it'll take longer to reload. After a couple of matches you'll have the process down and it will go much quicker. 

My BP loading stand hangs off one side of my cart. After clearing my guns I put the long guns in my cart Grab my loading stand and head back to the unloading table. I can load both guns in about the time it takes 3 shooters to complete the stage.  Then I usually give up the loading table and move on to other posse chores. 

The most important quality to have if you are shooting C&B gun is the ability to laugh at your self when not one but all 4 wheels fall of your wagon. Sooner or later you'll have a train wreck worthy of being immortalized in a song. 

I love shooting C&B pistols but don't get to do it at most monthly matches because our posses are too small and the time spent reloading takes away posse chores. 

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

CB pistols do involve extra steps which can add to fun or frustration. Like my maiden voyage using CB pistols at a match. I was so focused on the caps having a good fit that I forgot the powder and ball part of the process. Well, the posse had a good laugh as I popped off 10 caps at the targets, who by all accounts, were laughing as well.:D

Good to know I'm not the only one. :)

By the way, I am the fellow who bought that lovely loading stand from Yul Lose.  Gorgeous woodwork but too heavy to take to the range, and too pretty to beat up.  So I keep it on my reloading table and store my trophy belt buckles in it!

352B08E2-FD07-4C4D-A80A-B01411980567.thumb.jpeg.8127788322790c5412e45073115e8b1d.jpeg

Thanks for all of the great comments and advice.  I'm gonna give it a go without any stand.  I'll see what happens.  If I hate it (very low probability of THAT!) I'll just keep shooting my OMVs, or get more gadgets.  And that stand -- Yul Lose -- it is truly outstanding.

I load my 1860s in hand at my cart. Holding the grip against my waste to seat the balls. I do powder, lubed wad, round ball. I don't shoot them much and for what I do, it's not too troublesome. Just keep your mind on the task at hand. Sucks if you forget the powder. :P

You’ll have to figure out a loading routine that works for you.  I’ve never been very good with a powder flask so I load 2ml vials at home with powder, then I make up little cloth bags with 10 balls, 10 wads and 10 vials of powder, I’ll make up one bag for every stage plus an extra just in case.  Then like others after I shoot I man the ULT and recharge the cylinders.  I’m loading ROA’s with 5 ½ inch barrels and so far have never needed a stand or a loading lever assist.  Hope you find what’ll work for you. 

Archived