SASS Wire Forum

Scheels

Highwall

We have a Scheels coming to Wichita next Spring. I hear it's like a Cabela's  on steroids. Just wondering if they cater to SASS

in any way. Hopefully they will have some western inventory. I prefer pearl snaps over buttons due to my arthritis.

Cavender's has them but way over priced. It would be nice to see .45 Colt's in a display case again.

If any of you are familiar with this sporting goods store I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

Highwall #42425

They handle a large amount of ammunition and reloading stuff.  I get dillon stuff from them all the time that is out of stock or backordered from Dillon.  They seem to have primers more often that any of the other big box sporting goods stores also. 

Scheels is not a Bass Pro or Cabela's on steroids.  Also it is not a destination for CASS except for reloading.  Their selection of outdoor clothing & fishing gear is high end!  They have great selections of seasonal sporting goods, baseball, football, basketball, soccer, skiing & all year golf.

Almost every time I have a medical appointment in Reno I stop in to check out the inventory of powder, primers & ammo.  It is the anchor store for the Legends shopping center which is right off the Sparks Blvd. exit on I80; therefore really convenient.  Having lived in Fallon for 10 years I have never bought a firearm there.  I have bought firearms at Cabel's, Sportsman's Warehouse & several LGS's in Reno, Carson City & Fallon.

My brother-in-law roosts in Green valley, AZ. and he wants me to survey the store ahead of him since Wichita will open before Tuscan.

For him reloading supplies costs ads up to be just as expensive as retail ammo anymore.

Remember when reloading saved us money?

The Scheels that opened here has a large selection of modern firearms.  Very little in the way of CAS type firearms.  I haven't seen a double barreled shotgun on the shelves there in, at least, 2 years.   The only lever action are .22 Henrys.  Lots of Dillon equipment, but not much in the way of powders and primers.  Lots of loaded ammunition now, but the only cowboy ammo on the shelf is for 45 Colt and $60/50.

They are extremely proud of their inventory (high prices), but after a year and a half search for a second Ruger Wrangler, I finally found one to match my first one, there. My grand daughters love them. 

A great place to window shop.

WR

Well hell, I was hoping for something better. I'm told Dodge city has the best for Western apparel prices but that's  a 6 or 7 hour trip there and back not counting shopping time. I miss Sheplers! They were the best!

• 1 month later...

The local news stations just announced That Scheels will hire up to 500 employees before opening.  Wow! I worked in the very same building when it was Sears and we had 120 employees! I wonder how many will remain once the grand opening turns to regular everyday weekly sales. :unsure:

Highwall,

My experience with Scheels tells me all you've heard so far is spot on. I recently visited the store in Leawood area of KC and they had precisley one cowboy gun, a Henry Henry 1860 45 Colt caliber priced about the same as a used sports car. I also visited Cabela's by Great Wolf Lodge there in KC and was very disappointed in their cowboy gun inventory... basically non existent.

In Wichita Sportmans Warehouse was the place to go but that got closed down years ago and they absolutely whupped Cabela's, BassPro and Gander when it came to firearms and especially cowboy guns. Several of the salesmen there were in fact CAS competitors. About 5 years back I was in Cheyenne, WY and discovered a Sportsmans Warehouse there. And it brought back durn good memories of the store in Wichita...they know how to do a gun store. 

You're right about Sheplers. Great place in its day. Back in the 70’s that was actually a destination for travelers to Wichita and it was well worth visiting. I too miss the old Sheplers.

Remember Rusty's Outdoor Sports? That was a true "gun store" and the last of its kind in these parts. Sad to see them close. Online sales and big box stores killed them.

I remember when TG&Y and David's both had impressive gun counters back in the 70's and 80's in Wichita.

No one around Wichita really caters to cowboy guns but there is one place who sells a ton of guns and he usually has quite a few single actions available.  He is not a traditional walk in gun store as all his inventory is available to see on his website. (rykerarms.com) Just peruse his site, walk in and let him know what you want to see. He'll help you right out. I've bought and sold and traded with him and I've always been super pleased with his service and product line. He ain't Texas Jacks or Taylors but neither is anyone else on the planet. :(

Also, there is a family owned gunstore in Walker, MN that has a great firearms selection. I've seen plenty of Rugers, Marlins, Ubertis, Winchesters, etc move through there. Reeds Sports. You can shop them on gunbroker.

Good luck!

Archived