SASS Wire Forum

Pictures of your ammo strips/straps/blocks?

Shane Not Sean

What kind of ammo container do you take with you to the loading table?  I'm tired of my store-bought plastic green ammo box and noticed that many folks utilize various leather/wooden gizmos that they made in their garage that contain only the requisite number of rounds they will be loading into their guns, and then they attach them (empty) to their belt before they carry their long guns up for staging (so it doesn't get left/forgotten at the loading table).  If you find that it works really well for you, I'd also like to see closeups on whatever fittings you use (hinges, swivels, etc.).  Thank you.

Check out Missouri Marshal in the merchants section. They are well made. I added a hook on the thong and a ring like folks use for keys on my holster belt to clip it too.

http://missourimarshal.net/mmlb.html

Here are a few loading strip ideas and how I store them in the carts that I build.

The first couple show a loading strip with swiveling leather top and the bin that 6 strips fit into in the bottom of the cart chest. Take one to the loading table and when you’re done shooting put it back where you got it and grab the next one.

The next one utilizes rare earth magnets to hold the wooden top on, this one is really slick. Same principle as the first one, take a strip and put the empty strip back and grab the next one.

The 3rd one is my own system, leather loading strips with an antler pusher. After I load my guns I stick the empty strip in the top of my boot and when I’m finished shooting and get back to my cart I put it back where I got it and grab the next one. Double Diamond built the loading strips.

The square wooden one with the leather flap cover is made by Whirlwind Wendy and works pretty well also. I’m designing an upper tray for those that will hold 6 loaded loading blocks and a couple of boxes of SG shells.

8BC6C70C-574C-4D43-8F62-BD6FF4B19560.jpeg

09E32DD6-66A9-40DC-A1FD-4C99F9972E74.jpeg

19113DF3-F094-4E45-9955-010DD9B5D67D.jpeg

E4188984-5351-4B1F-BCDA-46CCACDEE718.jpeg

B12ACFCA-00B7-46EE-8390-5BF7B1128C23.jpeg

367FE1C8-D809-4127-87E2-06ABB89FA0E6.jpeg

6B8CB39C-4ED2-41DA-BA77-85130145BE63.jpeg

AE3BDDA1-7D4F-4885-8678-04FE3651E267.jpeg

13E2E72C-ED97-4AC6-A90D-F07E43D3A752.jpeg

E6EB3E85-7AC7-4335-8EA3-1A012FEFCBDA.jpeg

47A68B8D-9876-441B-B01F-743527052B4A.jpeg

BA7CA48E-5CDA-432B-8D4E-ADF4BF362FD5.jpeg

8254C4FE-4ABF-47B6-8F40-53F3DE9439D9.jpeg

3D5B8483-6687-40AC-83DA-0C98530CF8AE.jpeg

CF963844-89E6-473C-8A5C-6844602358B7.jpeg

I have a small leather draw string bag, I count out 20 or whatever it calls for and stuff the empty bag in my belt. I’m not crazy about those loading strips.

I found this Canadian company a number of years back, and they have this project called 'Royal Crown' that has nice embroidered ammo bags, which are rather pricey.  They start at $30USD, can only be found in liquor stores, but come with a free bottle of rye whiskey!  Bigger the bag you buy, the bigger the bottle of free rye whiskey.  Dangest thing I've ever come across for ammo bags......

Got over ammo strips real fast bought some cheap as chips cotton/light canvas drawstring bags that hold 20 rounds off eBay. Stick the empty bag somewhere on your body and at the unloading table pull it out and put your cases in and then just dump the whole bag in your cart and pick up another already prefilled bag.

You buy them in lots of 50

I cut 50 rd boxes in half, leave enough of the lid to latch and can prefill them weeks ahead if needed. You can buy a lot of mtm boxes for the cost of one stage strip. I carry the boxes to and from the line in a simple pouch leaving hands free for just long guns.

Imis

I made my “shotgun belt” to hold 12 shotshells and 25 rifle/pistol cartridges.  The belts are old, but maybe it’s good enough to see.

6AB0C87C-FC02-4220-8FCC-061F979C55A0.jpeg

75F7F115-B95D-47E6-BE66-98E9C19A4A42.jpeg

I probably have half a dozen now from Missouri Marshal. Main match, Wild Bunch, different calibers for different categories, etc. 

17F9629C-939C-404C-94FE-D301C8482F9A.jpeg

Crown Royal bag with my alias and SASS number embroidered into it.  Carry ammo to loading table, carry empties away from unloading table.  Tuck it under my belt while shooting.

https://www.crownroyal.com/whisky-gifts/personalized-gifts

The nice thing with a Marshal strip is that you are unlikely to loose count when loading your gun. 10 for rifle and 5 separate for revolvers. He can make any combo and the leather is custom for you. Can't say he can always do it, but when I purchased one for Ellie Phant, he went way beyond the call and got an elephant stamp from the UK just so she could have elephants on her strip. Missouri Marshal is a great craftsman and will assure your happiness. He has a thread on the wire that shows pictures of numerous strips/blocks he has made. Might take a bit to find it due to the less than efficient search engine on the wire.

I have no skin in the game, just impressed by Marshal's product and service. Also, you don't pay until you get them and are happy.

I went minimalist and just used some belt scraps and a punch. Set it up for 10 pistol and 10 rifle, with 2 spare holes in some of them in case of a reload on the clock. This one is for my 45-70.

loading_strip.JPG

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have a small leather draw string bag, I count out 20 or whatever it calls for and stuff the empty bag in my belt. I’m not crazy about those loading strips.

DITTO

I do the same thing.  Then I use the same leather bag to put my brass in at the ULT.  Doesn't get any easier than that!

8 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I cut 50 rd boxes in half, leave enough of the lid to latch and can prefill them weeks ahead if needed. You can buy a lot of mtm boxes for the cost of one stage strip. I carry the boxes to and from the line in a simple pouch leaving hands free for just long guns.

Imis

Thats exactly what i do!…. I use the red boxes by Plano that have a catch for the lid to snap to on both sides, then when the box is cut down each half has a lid that snaps closed. I pre pack 6 of these 20 round boxes for the usual round count for my monthly. I have a pouch on my gun belt just big enough for a 20 round box and drawstring cotton pouch for the spent brass. Its easy to keep track at the loading table since there are 2 rows of five for the rifle and 2 rows of five for the pistols. I never have any doubts how many I've loaded. The cut down box tracks the count automatically! 

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

5ac8c49a7a2bd_ElliePhant.jpg.3ec06f13e0066b4af88bcd7e6e485d5c.jpg

This is Ellie's from Missouri Marshal.

For some reason I couldn't add text to the one above. Everytime I tried it reverted to posts I looked a while ago.:angry:

Texas Gator (Orange County Regulators in TX and Up the Creek Gang in LA) made several great looking loading blocks for me.  Here are two examples.   As far as I know he only makes them for his pards, but I could be wrong.

IMG_1487.thumb.jpeg.eb5f1e6b327cf8e6c4eb3a823e5828f3.jpeg

IMG_1489.thumb.jpeg.efe0c7796fb4b5e7eefdbdb9c3d4f931.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

Texas Gator (Orange County Regulators in TX and Up the Creek Gang in LA) made several great looking loading blocks for me.  Here are two examples.   As far as I know he only makes them for his pards, but I could be wrong.

IMG_1487.thumb.jpeg.eb5f1e6b327cf8e6c4eb3a823e5828f3.jpeg

IMG_1489.thumb.jpeg.efe0c7796fb4b5e7eefdbdb9c3d4f931.jpeg

I made mine in a similar fashion. For my Black Powder rounds the leather cover is dyed black. For smokeless rounds the leather is I dyed brown. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

What's annoying is the guys that have nothing.  Bring their ammo to the loading table in big cartridge boxes and tend to leave them there taking up room. 

You just described me...and that's why I'm looking for something new.

As an update, I've ordered one from Missouri Marshal for my CAS set up (.357 rifle & revolvers).

I took a look at his WB loading blocks but my rifle is a C.C. conversion to 45acp and the rifle rounds would just slide through the holes.  So got to figure something else out for WB (might have to just go with a little bag for that).

I use these from ST Machining.

They lock closed, and check the diameter and high primers.

89315BC3-56BA-4D02-93CC-267D9BFE58B0.thumb.jpeg.b9d8261569b362256e814000116fc5da.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Shane Not Sean said:

You just described me...and that's why I'm looking for something new.

As an update, I've ordered one from Missouri Marshal for my CAS set up (.357 rifle & revolvers).

I took a look at his WB loading blocks but my rifle is a C.C. conversion to 45acp and the rifle rounds would just slide through the holes.  So got to figure something else out for WB (might have to just go with a little bag for that).

The Mernickle strip has elastic loops, so should hold the 45acp rounds okay.  But little bags do fine as well!

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What's annoying is the guys that have nothing.  Bring their ammo to the loading table in big cartridge boxes and tend to leave them there taking up room. 

And if you touch them to try and make room on the table some of the guys get upset.

I use a leather pouch which is hooked to my gun belt. Never in the way and holds everything I need at the loading table.

Lucky :D

walnut die rig.jpg

How about a coffin shaped block with hinged lid that a fellow cowboy

made for me? 

IMG_20221015_124540250.jpg

My method cuts down the number of accruements to zero.    10 rounds of ammo in right vest pocket, 10 rounds of rifle ammo in left pocket.  If shooting frontiersman, box of charging supplies goes to unloading table, me & capper to loading table to shoot 1st;  then handle ULT duties & recharge revolvers for next stage.Why complicate life with unnecessary stuff! :ph34r:

I see a lot of devices to get your ammo to the loading bench but what about bringing back you empties to your cart? This is the pouch I use. They do two jobs for me and I got 6 of them that I keep preloaded to get me through the match.  These were made by Jax Leather. 

20221015_225808.jpg

20221015_225829.jpg

20221015_225937.jpg

I'll be "that guy"...

Uhmm... I wear a gun belt. So I just take the rounds out of the loops that are conveniently placed on my hips. And after 2 stages I'll top back off at my gun cart when I'm not grading/clearing/picking up shooter's brass for them. 

Obviously if your gun belt doesn't have cartridge loops, then yeah everyone above has shown their fancy doohickeys. Too each their own.

received_1755435194468652.jpeg

I also use a leather pouch (my late Uncle's reel pouch). I load a 20 round 45/70 plastic tray with my cartridges and put it in the pouch. Helps with the count at the loading table and the pouch takes my empties back to the gun cart. However, when shooting my Schofields, I put the rifle rounds in the plastic tray and load two speed loaders for the sixguns. 

By the way, I hang the full pouch over the handle of the knife on my gun belt to the loading table. back on my knife - empty - while shooting. Then, carry my empties to the cart.

Rev. Chase 

Archived