SASS Wire Forum

gunbroker bids not going right

Trigger Mike

I hate it when I bid on something on gunbroker that I really don't want but want to get only if it is cheap  and end up getting it but if I bid on something i want it goes sky high.  today I bid on a Beretta M9 22LR and got it for about 100 less than the store sells it even after shipping and fees etc.  

other days I bid on a birds head 45 ruger and have to take out a mortgage if I want it.  

Three years ago, I placed a lowball bid on a consecutively numbered pair of NIB birdshead New Vaquero .45's on GB. A week later, I got an email saying I won them. The starting bid was $800, and had one bid. I bid $850, and got them for $805. Other times, yeah, I bid something through the roof because it's an exact match for one I've already got and it's the only one I've seen pop up in over six months. :P

A bit over two years ago, I scored a serviceable Winchester model 12 on GB for $116 for Wild Bunch. Kind of an ugly thing with little original finish, scattered surface rust, and blue paint speckles all over it, but it cleaned up well and shoots great. :)

Last I bid on anything, other bidders had an Automatic Outbid feature activated ... if anyone outbid them, a droid or robot or program or something submitted a five-dollars-more bid to keep them on top.

After the second such experience, I gave up on 'em altogether.

1 minute ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Last I bid on anything, other bidders had an Automatic Outbid feature activated ... if anyone outbid them, a droid or robot or program or something submitted a five-dollars-more bid to keep them on top.

After the second such experience, I gave up on 'em altogether.

That's part of the program - no activating or deactivating it. If I bid $500 on a "no reserve" auction, it starts at the first increment, typically $5.00. The next guy bids $400, and it automatically jumps to $405. He bids again and goes $450, it jumps to $455. He bids again and goes $499, it jumps to $500, my high bid. His next bid has to be one full increment, so he has to bid a minimum of $505. If he bids higher, say $550, it still only jumps one increment to $505. If I then bid $535, it jumps to $540, and so on. Also, on GB, a bid entered in the last 15 minutes of the auction resets the auction end time to 15 minutes. If it ends at 4:35 and I enter a bid at 4:21, the end time is extended to 4:36. If I enter a bid at 4:34, the end time is extended to 4:49, and so on. Every time someone enters a bid in the last 15 minutes, the clock resets and shows the auction ends in 15 minutes from the time the bid was placed.

There is a stainless Ruder No. 1 on there now for a price a would pay. But I'm scared to death to do it. But that ain't a GB problem...

One way that I can be sure a slow moving gun that’s barely over reserve will take off and go sky high is for me to bid on it. :lol:

Not kidding. I am like an auction pariah for my own wants and bids. I should start a service. 

Hey, got a gun you want to sell for big money? I can guarantee to make the bids on your gun go beyond what you ever thought they would. Just calm me at BR549 and I will lay out my plan that will have you whistling all the way to the bank. 

But then, I am sure that would backfire and I would owe you money…never mind. I gotta go. 

:lol:

I have scored a bunch of firearms at very low prices because the bidder spelled the entry wrong. I purposely do searches with commonly misspelled words and boda bing suddenly I find something nobody is looking for or bidding on. 

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

There is a stainless Ruder No. 1 on there now for a price a would pay. But I'm scared to death to do it. But that ain't a GB problem...

Let me guess.. in 270?

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Don’t want the Mrs finding out, eh?

10 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Let me guess.. in 270?

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Don’t want the Mrs finding out, eh?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I hope you get it! If you decide to bid

It's the whole 'scared to go to sleep ' thing that keeps me from it.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But Honey, it followed me home! What am I supposed to do? :rolleyes:

The poor thing was orphaned.

I've bid on a few things on GB. Got some, lost many.  Bought a few with "buy now" switch.  I've tried to stop buying guns. Staying away from gun shows. Maybe check the market on GB to see the crazy prices.

I do better at a couple of our favorite gun shops. Last spring we dropped in just to say HI. Ended up with two first generation Colt SAAs.  Both are off to Spring Creek Armory - one getting new paint job, the other a barrel bob and hammer rebuilt.  Sickness?  I still have it.

I bid on a Ruger, a few weeks ago, and was winning the bid with about 30 minutes left in the bid, when I got a note from the seller/gunbroker stating that it was out of stock. What??? :angry:

I complained to GunBroker, but to no avail. They sided with the seller. 

I always thought if you had a business, that you checked your inventory to see if you had that item in stock, before you put it up for sale. The auction was one that lasted for about a week, so we are not talking about a one day turn around on the auction. 

I also thought if someone placed a bid on the item, that it would be removed from stock, and not sold to over the counter.

I have no idea what the "reason" was, for this happening. I never got an "oops", or an "I'm sorry", or an offer to sell me the item for the same price I bid on it, when another one came in. No explanation, and I did ask. So...what else can I think, but the worst? At best, incompetent. At worst too ignorant to care about their customers. 

I made a note to myself to never buy anything from that seller, ever again. You don't get second chance to make a first impression.  

The bids probably weren't high enough for the seller, so claimed the out of stock excuse. Sucks

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I bid on a Ruger, a few weeks ago, and was winning the bid with about 30 minutes left in the bid, when I got a note from the seller/gunbroker stating that it was out of stock. What??? :angry:

I complained to GunBroker, but to no avail. They sided with the seller. 

I always thought if you had a business, that you checked your inventory to see if you had that item in stock, before you put it up for sale. The auction was one that lasted for about a week, so we are not talking about a one day turn around on the auction. 

I also thought if someone placed a bid on the item, that it would be removed from stock, and not sold to over the counter.

I have no idea what the "reason" was, for this happening. I never got an "oops", or an "I'm sorry", or an offer to sell me the item for the same price I bid on it, when another one came in. No explanation, and I did ask. So...what else can I think, but the worst? At best, incompetent. At worst too ignorant to care about their customers. 

I made a note to myself to never buy anything from that seller, ever again. You don't get second chance to make a first impression.  

There are hundreds of gunbroker sellers that list items they don’t actually have. The use drop shipping. These are usually your top 100 sellers with over 20,000 feedbacks 5 negatives a week mean nothing to them. 
I only lists items I actually have and very rarely do I use stock photos. 
If it’s a hard to find item email them and ask if they actually have it, you first clue will be no reply, also check the feedback and look for F’s due to them listing items they don’t have. 

Gunbroker sometimes gets it right for me.  Lately there was a thread about Winchester 9422s. Ive always wanted to add one to my 22 collection.  Darn you cowboys! I thought I was done buying. BUT! Why not just look. Well I just added a 9422, XTR, 22 mag, one of 9422 in near mint condition. Sent out the check today. Got it from gunbroker. I will only say that I paid about $500 less than most listed.

You darn cowboys will get me in trouble!

Not Gun Broker, but a young friend just got  very nice Argentine Mauser for $100.00 + $75 handling and shipping fees.  He was amazed when it arrived with a like-new bayonet and scabbard, and a perfect sling at no extra cost.

I've bought a lot of gun stuff at auctions, but never from online auctions.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just tell her about all the money you just saved because it was on sale. :P

I'll take her out to the potting room I just added onto our shed, with the heat on so it is nice and cozy. I insulated it as I did the shed and put in a double pane insulated window....... then I'll tell her my sin. Maybe. Or not. I may just slip it in the house like a coward if I win the bid.

30 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just tell her about all the money you just saved because it was on sale. :P

I actually used this line on my wife. She got mad and started using logic as to why this made no sense. Then I made the faux pas. I said “Hey, you do this all the time, but when I do it you don’t like it!” 
Glare…silent, seething, glare…the main thing is, the silence. Which was nice, but then again it really wasn’t. 

I think it was about 2 days before she spoke to me and a week before she smiled at me again. 
I won, but I didn’t win. If you know what I mean. 

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think it was about 2 days before she spoke to me and a week before she smiled at me again. 

Been there, done that, seen the movie, bought the t-shirt. Wives are never wrong, even when they are. Since my divorce that aspect of my life has actually been a breath of fresh air.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I actually used this line on my wife. She got mad and started using logic as to why this made no sense. Then I made the faux pas. I said “Hey, you do this all the time, but when I do it you don’t like it!” 
Glare…silent, seething, glare…the main thing is, the silence. Which was nice, but then again it really wasn’t. 

And then suddenly she turned! :lol:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ah, the silent glare....  DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Archived