SASS Wire Forum

.45 ACP. +P load info

Widder, SASS #59054

There doesn't seem to be a lot of load data information on the .45 ACP. +P  load, specifically using the 185 grain HP bullet.

I have plenty of .45 SUPER load data and .460 Rowland load data.   But just can't find much on the +P load data.

Any of you pards have some good info for a 185 bullet achieving +P performance?

Thanks

..........Widder

If you go on Hodgdon Reloading they have recipes for Accurate and Ramshot powders for .45 ACP +P

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=53

I don’t load .45 ACP +P do I don’t know how the recipes are. 

Most .45 bullets are designed to perform best between 800-850fps. When you push them to higher velocities they often over-expand and/or fragment. Personally I've never seen the need for a +P .45 ACP as you're simply getting stouter recoil with next to no gain in performance.

Hey Widder

I use 8.5(Eight point five) grains of Unique, with a Winchester primer and 185 grain JHP. This is a very accurate load in my Colt Gov't 1911. It has a huge muzzle flash on overcast early evening days.

SUN:   Thanks.   Those look more like standard type stuff,  although a couple do border around the 1100 fps mark.

PAT:   That helps somewhat.   I have some of those powders.

SIXGUN:   I know that 'some' bullets are built to perform best within certain speed limits, but some of our 185 grain JHP's are also

made to perform at much higher velocities, which allow them to be used in .45 Super and .460 Rowland pistols with great results.

A good .45 ACP +P load with a good 185 grain JHP can be a formidable round for both 2 legged and 4 legged critters.

MAJOR:  Interesting.   I got some Unique but hadn't thought about trying it out.

FYI:   I been trying 9.0 grains of Power Pistol which is giving me about 1050 fps out of a 5" 1911.

I've also tried 9.5 grains of Power Pistol which is giving me an average of 1111 fps out of the same 1911.   I really like its performance.

But as with any new load development, I always like to get advice from others who already have some personal experience.

Thanks everyone.

..........Widder

I load 45+P with heavier bullets, and have had fantastic results with Ramshot Silhouette. Excellent velocities and accuracy, meters great, burns clean, and very low muzzle flash. It is one of -if not the- finest powders for the application. Data is available on Hodgdon's website. 

Archived