SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron (Armi San Marco) Richards Type 1 in 44 colt-Navy Grip?

Long Gun Preacher

Pards-  Just won on GB a Richards Type 1 Conversion in 44 colt.  According to the pics, it is an Armi San Marco imported by Cimarron with a very low serial #.

It looks to be in excellent shape.  It is unusual in that it has a Navy style grip and it is 5.5bbl.

I do know the usual concerns about Armi San Marco but this is an unusual firearm and I am buying it to replace one that I sold earlier this year in 38 special that I miss.

Wondering if any pards on this forum have any knowledge about these ASM's imported by Cimarron.  (Please, no "ASM's are junk" posts-I know their reputation)  I'm looking for real info

with thanks

Howdy Preacher, you probably know this, but you can only shoot 44 Colts in it, no Specials or Russians due to rim size.   Seems like I've seen other short barrel ASM Richards with Navy grips, maybe that was standard for them?  Hopefully yours is a good 'un.  I know Cimarron sold all their Richards parts to Peter Sharyko years ago.   

I have a pair of ASM ‘61 Navies in 38 Special, with the barrels shortened to 5.5”.  After some minor smoothing up, they are fine shooters.

40A6C553-2682-44F0-BC38-EDB7BC2C338B.jpeg

ASM built ALL their conversion guns on a basic 1861 frame.  .38 and .44 Colt.  Two barrel lengths, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2.  5 1/2 is not at all uncommon.  Cimarron took an enormous "bath" in warranty work before they dropped the ASM guns.  The ASM guns were differentiated from 1860 and 1861 by the Grip Sets.  Army grips for the 1860, Navy grips for the 1861.  I was shooting mine as my Main Match guns and keeping them running was a groan.  I had to replace the Firing Pin Return springs, Had to make three new hands, Replace the Main Springs, correct and re-harden the trigger sears and correct the timing.  I actually owned 11.  Two were constantly in use and 9 were spare parts repositories.  There were/are no spare parts available, unless you count those in someone else's gun.  Good Luck.

Oh, also, the .38s were probably the most accurate revolvers I have ever owned. 

Archived