SASS Wire Forum

Solar-powered electric fence

Chief Rick

Starting to re-build and reinforce the run and coop.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with solar-powered electric fences?

Our run is about 50 yards from the nearest power source.  While I could run a dedicated power line from an outside power panel, I'd rather not.

I use one. I found it cheaper to buy a 12v charger/zapper and use a pwm charge controller and 20 watt ebay panel with a spare 12v battery.

I assume this is for your chicken coop? Since my min run fence is dug in I used that as a ground and a knee wire as the positive.

I use one. About 8 years old.

Has a solar panel built in and a small battery that is charged by the panel. I added a solar panel roughly 2'x2' from harbour freight and have plenty of zap. Time tested functionality check.... invite a buddy over, offer a few beers and let him relieve used beer pressure on the wire. :P Just kidding.

I am only running perhaps 100 feet of cable but pretty sure it could handle more. Only problem is the battery failed a couple years ago at about 6 years old. I ended up finding an identical model at a garage sale and swapped batteries. So far so good.

I have a newer/larger one that is supposed to be capable of running 1000 feet of cable but never have installed it as my horses aren't really fence benders.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

6 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

I use one. I found it cheaper to buy a 12v charger/zapper and use a pwm charge controller and 20 watt ebay panel with a spare 12v battery.

I assume this is for your chicken coop? Since my min run fence is dug in I used that as a ground and a knee wire as the positive.

Yes, gonna set a wire around the coop and run.  Probably looking at 75-100 ft total.

• 2 weeks later...

The ones we use up here can run up to 5 miles of four strand fence...  These are commercial units used on ranches ...

There are smaller ones as well my Neighbour uses one to run two stand fence for 3,500 feet ...

And yes they do work ...Gallager is one Name brand... There are other brands some better, some worse...

Trust this helps 

Jabez Cowboy   

I used to use one for our mobile goat fence, mesh fences require a bigger charger than fences using 2 or 3 wires so it was a large charger, the only real problem was if we had a week of cloudy weather the battery would go dead

We use one up here in Montana to keep the “locals” away from from our flock. Runs all year and no issues, just make sure you don’t have any foliage resting on the wire or it’ll ground out or greatly reduce the available power. 

If you live in the desert (NV) the distance capability listed means very little.  The 1st fence charger I used on three horse paddocks with 500 ft. of 4 ft. no climb fence was rated for 1/2 mile.  The soil here is fine sand.  I grounded the charger to the wire fence & three ground rods.  Our two horses didn't respect it after a couple of months.  So I drove ground rods every 50 ft.  They still leaned over the outside wire to check out the tumble weeds.  I replaced the charger with one with 4 times the power, rated for miles & miles.  That helped a bit.  Boy did it hurt if I touched the hot wire and the no climb fencing.  I replaced them no climb with cattle fence panels. 

Archived