SASS Wire Forum

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY

Rye Miles #13621

Today is the second Monday in October. The federal holiday "indigenous peoples day".

Tomorrow is October 11th. Columbus Day.

Try to keep them straight.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Today is the second Monday in October. The federal holiday "indigenous peoples day".

Tomorrow is October 11th. Columbus Day.

Try to keep them straight.

You must be joking. It's Columbus day on two different calendars that I have and Government buildings are closed today because of COLUMBUS DAY! There's NO mention of "indigenous peoples day". Try and get with it !!! 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/columbus-day-2022-is-it-a-federal-holiday/ar-AA12JUda

https://bolavip.com/en/offside/columbus-day-2022-are-banks-schools-and-post-offices-open-20221007-0048.html?utm_source=msn_com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=must_read

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Columbus day - Imgflip

Ever see the Mel Gibson directed movie 'Apocalypto'?

Brutal but excellent.

I don't think there is a land mass on Earth (besides Antarctica) that hasn't seen one group conquer and subjugate others. Alexander the Great did it to western Asia, The Emperors of Rome did it to Europe, The Mongols did it to China, The Europeans did it to America and Africa, and California did it to Washington State. Unfortunately it appears to be human nature.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I don't think there is a land mass on Earth (besides Antarctica) that hasn't seen one group conquer and subjugate others. Alexander the Great did it to western Asia, The Emperors of Rome did it to Europe, The Mongols did it to China, The Europeans did it to America and Africa, and California did it to Washington State. Unfortunately it appears to be human nature.

The tribes that were here before the white man arrived were killing and torturing each other. They were not peaceful. They were obviously fighting for land even though they didn’t understand white men “owning land”. 

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The tribes that were here before the white man arrived were killing and torturing each other. They were not peaceful. They were obviously fighting for land even though they didn’t understand white men “owning land”. 

The tribes that were here before the white man migrated from Asia across the Bering Strait that used to be a land mass. 
Europe is in Asia, technically, so even those tribes were “Europeans” at one time. 

Tell that to a leftist Euro-hater. That’ll set ‘em free. :lol:

Supposedly we were all Africans at one point. :mellow:

When I was a kid I often wondered how Custer managed to have Native Americans fighting on his side when he was supposed to be such an Indian-hater. I didn't realize at the time that the Lakota were the big bully on the plains up until the white men arrived, and many of the smaller tribes teamed up with the whites hoping it would help rid them of the Lakota.

Then they read the fine print...

Wa'l now Happy Columbus Day to you too!

I have no problem a'tall in celebrating holidays, when friends wish me a Good Solstice or a Joyful Equinox, why, I'll hoist an adult beverage with them, or share a kettle of stew or whatever's good.

I've survived grief and loss enough in my lifetime that I'll celebrate with a clean conscience!

Columbus Day wasn’t celebrated until 1792. I always thought it BOQ as was kind of a dumb holiday.

I always thought it was so October wouldn't feel left out.

January has New years, February has got Valentine's Day and Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, March has Easter, April has Mother's Day, May has May Day and Decoration Day, June has Flag Day and Father's Day, July Independence day, September Labor Day, but October all you had was Halloween and that wasn't really a holiday for the adults, and it was the last day anyhow so it really shouldn't count. And then we have November Armistice Day and Thanksgiving, and December Christmas. So they come up with Columbus Day so we can have a holiday in October.

What holiday have they got in August?

34 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I always thought it was so October wouldn't feel left out.

January has New years, February has got Valentine's Day and Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, March has Easter, April has Mother's Day, May has May Day and Decoration Day, June has Flag Day and Father's Day, July Independence day, September Labor Day, but October all you had was Halloween and that wasn't really a holiday for the adults, and it was the last day anyhow so it really shouldn't count. And then we have November Armistice Day and Thanksgiving, and December Christmas. So they come up with Columbus Day so we can have a holiday in October.

What holiday have they got in August?

Hotter Than Hell Day. Celebrated all month.

So one culture sacrificed humans to some sort of gods. The majority didn't.

Our arrival brought about the deaths of millions of people. Most from our germs. Influenza being the biggest killer of all.

Read Guns, Germs, and Steel. Our weapons did little in comparison.

Oh. let us not forget killing the locals because they wouldn't convert to some sort of European god.

3 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So one culture sacrificed humans to some sort of gods. The majority didn't.

Our arrival brought about the deaths of millions of people. Most from our germs. Influenza being the biggest killer of all.

Read Guns, Germs, and Steel. Our weapons did little in comparison.

Oh. let us not forget killing the locals because they wouldn't convert to some sort of European god.

I'm not giving the European settlers on the American continents any slack. Whites did some horrible things, both to the indigenous people as well as the Africans they brought over to do their dirty work. Unfortunately though it was inevitable that every single continent was going to become populated and be forced to join the modern world. There are 8 billion people on this planet now... when Europeans first settled in North America there were perhaps 8-10 million indigenous people living here. That number was far too small to stop a rapidly expanding European population from coming here and eventually taking it over. Today we are taking in hordes of people from every corner of the globe... and ironically the whites are now muttering under their breath about foreigners coming here and taking over the place! :huh:

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'm not giving the European settlers on the American continents any slack. Whites did some horrible things, both to the indigenous people as well as the Africans they brought over to do their dirty work. Unfortunately though it was inevitable that every single continent was going to become populated and be forced to join the modern world. There are 8 billion people on this planet now... when Europeans first settled in North America there were perhaps 8-10 million indigenous people living here. That number was far too small to stop a rapidly expanding European population from coming here and eventually taking it over. Today we are taking in hordes of people from every corner of the globe... and ironically the whites are now muttering under their breath about foreigners coming here and taking over the place! :huh:

The natives that lived here when the white settlers came were not united. They were killing and warring with each other. That 8-10 million you used was not a single force! They’re were hundreds of different tribes,  They were brutal people! Let’s not forget the terrible things they did to each other and to the white settlers. There’s bad behavior on both sides for sure!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The natives that lived here when the white settlers came were not united. They were killing and warring with each other. That 8-10 million you used was not a single force! They’re were hundreds of different tribes,  They were brutal people! Let’s not forget the terrible things they did to each other and to the white settlers. There’s bad behavior on both sides for sure!

It could be argued that that's not an excuse for what the whites ultimately did to them. Personally I don't see a way that they could've continued to exist until the late 20th Century while still living their ancient way of life, but we definitely could've done a better job introducing them to the modern world.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It could be argued that that's not an excuse for what the whites ultimately did to them. Personally I don't see a way that they could've continued to exist until the late 20th Century while still living their ancient way of life, but we definitely could've done a better job introducing them to the modern world.

Yes I totally agree, they had Stone Age ways and wouldn’t have survived. I think both sides could have done a better job , we could have done better introducing them to our ways and them accepting the new ways. Some did, the Cherokees for one . It was inevitable that we would overcome but that does not excuse their brutal savage ways against us. Killing and tearing babies from pregnant women, torturing us in ways we never dreamed of. They were brutal savage people!

10 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Wasn't Europe, Asia, and Africa also filled with multiple independent groups? Uk is to this day still 3 cultures under one flag?

Yes but they’re not Stone Age cultures like the native Americans were except fir some African groups that refuse to change their ways but they don’t fight they just live their lives.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You are generalizing all the native cultures. They were not all warlike and often coexisted very well with neighboring tribes and even settlers. One can’t compare the myriad of tribes living across the continent and lump them into one type. The woodland tribes were significantly different from the Great Plains tribes and the NW groups. Brutal is certainly not a word I would use to describe all these cultures. 

40 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You are generalizing all the native cultures. They were not all warlike and often coexisted very well with neighboring tribes and even settlers. One can’t compare the myriad of tribes living across the continent and lump them into one type. The woodland tribes were significantly different from the Great Plains tribes and the NW groups. Brutal is certainly not a word I would use to describe all these cultures. 

I didn’t say they were all brutal , I said some tribes tried to get along with us. I noted the Cherokee as one example. Sure there were peaceful tribes but I doubt they were the majority at least from all I’ve read, 

Archived