SASS Wire Forum

Houston's second gun buyback program sees record numbers: 'We believe this is the largest'

Buckshot Bear

Houston's second gun buyback program sees record numbers: 'We believe this is the largest'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houstons-second-gun-buyback-program-sees-record-numbers-we-believe-largest

Anyone make a guess what the rifle is that I have pointed out below? There's a few brass buttstock ones in that pile.

Capture.JPG.6e087a9868338a5b79324241c6d25dee.JPG

I have no idea of what the rifle is in the picture.

I also have no idea how Houston can "buy back" something they never owned. Did they fill out the 4473 on all of their gun purchases?

Texas does not require a 4473 on a personal sale. If the Houston cops had bought those guns from an FFL they would have to do a 4473 on each one. But what they were doing is legally a private purchase, and unlike California and New Jersey and I'm sure some other states, private purchases don't have to go through an FFL.

And they were using whose money exactly?

How about these anti-gun freaks be required to put up their own money to "buy back" the guns at fair market value and turn them over to the scrap yard at no cost to them!  See how long that flies.

45 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Texas does not require a 4473 on a personal sale. If the Houston cops had bought those guns from an FFL they would have to do a 4473 on each one. But what they were doing is legally a private purchase, and unlike California and New Jersey and I'm sure some other states, private purchases don't have to go through an FFL.

Actually, it's called a private party sale. A private party sale is from one person to another person...not persons.  Person is singular. I don't believe that the City of Houston qualifies as a person. 

Florida has basically the same private party sales rules.

1 hour ago, Clay Mosby said:

Wasn't there a buy back recently where some genius 3D printed some fake guns and the idiots in charge actually paid him for them?

Several people have benefitted from creatively exploiting gun buybacks.

One guy made shotguns from waterpipe and lumber. When he proved they would work (however they wanted him to do that), he was paid for them as valid guns. Another 3d-printed a number of guns and turned them in. IIRC he netted about $45 or so per gun. Another guy in New York claims he made about $21k. 

Those tricks usually only work once for each location; the next time officials usually make rules against such exchanges.

My favorite response to gun buybacks is when private citizens set up outside the event and buy guns from people heading in to sell them to the police.

Mostly, gun buybacks are ineffective -- just another way to throw taxpayer money out for a little, 'Hey-look-ain't-you-proud-we-done-something' by politicians looking for easy press coverage.

4 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Wasn't there a buy back recently where some genius 3D printed some fake guns and the idiots in charge actually paid him for them?

Another guy 3d printed 300 or so "switches" (the device that converts a Glock from semi to full auto) and threatened legal action if they refused to pay up on their offer.  He walked away with $9,000 for $36 worth of plastic and a couple of hours work.

Notice the non-abundance of AR type rifles turned in.  So is their objective of taking evil "assault guns" out of public circulation being met? 

They're emptying residential closets of dusty old firearms that haven't been fired in years and probably won't be.  Thats about all.   

I'm glad I am not where I can see the history and craftsmanship  being destroyed there.   Hopefully the individual LEOs are higrading the good ones.  

Here in Canada, where our mis-government has banned AR-15s and one thousand, Five Hundred (1500) of their derivatives, they are trying to figure out a way to pick them all up, which may not be as easily done as they have anticipated.

At one time they were non-restricted/not registered, so how many and where they are is something of an unknown.

They are trying to find organizations/businesses etc. to take on the job of collection.

AR-15 ownership by criminal gangs, drug dealers etc. remains unaffected.

17 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Utica, New York buyback.  He was paid $21,000 in gift cards for his 3d printed guns made specifically for the buyback.  

Archived