SASS Wire Forum

1937 Delahaye 135MS Roadster

Subdeacon Joe

So beautiful.

And even more so when you understand how they were made - by an artist with hammer and sandbag pounding out a flat sheet of aluminium over wooden forms.

An English wheel to create complex curves and the eye of the artist looking at the play of shadow and light to determine perfection.

The addition of a flourish didn't need to consider mpg or aero - it was placed because it belonged. 

There is no clinical sterility of a computer designed and robot assembled commodity - when you look at or are lucky enough to interact with these sculptures - you are well aware that a craftsmans hand lovingly sewed the leather, buffed the metals and placed every nut, bolt and screw with an eye toward producing an item created to live on beyond them.

Modern metals, modern design and modern assembly can produce "better", more reliable, safer, more powerful vehicles.

As gorgeous as the Delahaye is - a new Kia is 10x the car.

But that is not the point - as with hand fitted Colts or old Rolex watches - the modern iterations may be just as "good" - in some cases even better - but they lack a living breathing "soul".

The men who built this car were proud of what they were doing and somehow - nearly a 100 years later; you can still feel that when you look upon it.

I doubt we will ever have that component ever again.

I saw one of those at the Beverly Hills auto show in 2017. I couldn't stop staring.......The wife and daughter pulled me away from the restraining ropes 3X.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

But that is not the point - as with hand fitted Colts or old Rolex watches - the modern iterations may be just as "good" - in some cases even better - but they lack a living breathing "soul".

That is something that many in today's modern age simply don't grasp. I was going to say "understand," but it isn't something one understands. It is either felt, intuitively, or it isn't. It is why I prefer my Omega watches, or any other mechanical watch, to be truthful, to a digital or something like an Apple Watch, and why I will forever prefer rowing a manual transmission through the gears, even if it is through an underpowered four cylinder, to letting a computerized automatic choose the gears for me. It's why I look at the very vast majority of new cars and feel completely underwhelmed by them. They have nothing that makes them special, that makes them say, for better or for worse, "look, I was designed to be different from the crowd!"

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Looks like Jessica Rabat should be driving that car. 

From Morocco?

I love my 1949 Gruen Curvex watch.  It doesn't have the idiot "complications" (that's what ll the functions except the minute and hour hand are really called.) of a modern watch, but it sure is grand to look at...and it keeps good time.

4 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Dirk Pitt drove a 1948 Model 135 in one of Clive Cussler's novels.

I think it is still in the Clive Cussler museum in Arvada, Colorado along with other automobiles featured in his books.

Archived