SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 9422. What is it?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Okay, amongst those of us who own a Winchester 9422, what do you think of it as?  Yes, it has a similar silhouette to the model 94, and they likely called it a "9422" because the 94 was the only lever gun they were making at the time.

That being said, I think we all know that superficial resemblance aside, the action is nothing like the 94.   And I'm not talking about how it ejects out the side instead of straight up.  It's just completely different.  In way, while very different from it as well, I've always thought the 9422 was more like a 92 than anything else.  Yes, not really, but I'm speaking in more general terms than specific ones. 

Granted, no matter how you slice it, the gun does "look like a Winchester."  And that makes them all the more fun to own and shoot.  

Thoughts?

My first ever rifle was one in .22 Magnum, given to me as a birthday present by my father.  

Less than a year ago, I found one in .22LR.   I didn't care that it was $1000.00  I bought it!

Only thing I don't like about 'em is the goofy front sight.   I wish there was a more traditional looking one available.

I have a Winchester 9422 (22 LR) and a 9422M (22 mag) that became mine after Dad passed.  They are exceptional lever guns, highly recommend them if you are able to find one.  

In my opinion, based on ownership of about 1/2 dozen of them in both .22 LR and .22 Mag.,   they are the best and

most simplistic rifles I've ever seen.

They are all steel and designed perfectly.

..........Widder

I bought one in 1971 with money that I got for graduation from high school. I still have it. Best $96 that I ever spent!  I later bought a magnum to keep it company. 
Laramie

On 10/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

I've had 2 and sold them like dumb a#@ ?

They are the best built 22 lever action ever made.

Solid build with dual extractors. they are built like a tank!!

Now you'll pay dearly for one!

Me too! I had one and sold it because I wasn’t shooting it. If was a great rifle. What an $&@!

Archived