SASS Wire Forum

"Cost less than an iPhone"

Alpo

Got an ad in my email. Solar generator. Protect your family. With this you can charge your devices.

It won't run your air conditioner to keep you cool in the summer, or your heater to keep you warm in the winter. It won't run your refrigerator to keep your food from spoiling, or your microwave so you can cook your food.

But by damn you can charge your devices, which will keep your family safe.

It doesn't say what it costs in the ad. I suppose you have to go to the website, and maybe even put it in your cart before they will give you a price.

But it does say that it costs less than an iPhone.

But isn't it iPhone something like $700? I can get a whole lot of generators for less than $700, and they will actually run my refrigerator and my microwave.

Get a generator to at least run the essentials!

I'm installing a "Whole House" NG unit up here in cold Canada.

They can't seem to keep things running all the time and we get temperatures well below -30 and even colder, for long periods of time.

The installation even requires a battery warmer to ensure it doesn't die in the cold.

Right now it's 0 Celsius outside at 9:00 AM and without heat, I'd be in trouble.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Got an ad in my email. Solar generator. Protect your family. With this you can charge your devices.

It won't run your air conditioner to keep you cool in the summer, or your heater to keep you warm in the winter. It won't run your refrigerator to keep your food from spoiling, or your microwave so you can cook your food.

But by damn you can charge your devices, which will keep your family safe.

It doesn't say what it costs in the ad. I suppose you have to go to the website, and maybe even put it in your cart before they will give you a price.

But it does say that it costs less than an iPhone.

But isn't it iPhone something like $700? I can get a whole lot of generators for less than $700, and they will actually run my refrigerator and my microwave.

I got that same ad! There's a sucker born every minute!!!

Here in the 3rd world section of the PRK, power outages are somewhat commonplace.
My thoughts have always been toward a true sine wave inverter driven by the charging system in my truck.
This would provide enough for critical functions, which does not include A/C in my book.

Unlike a generator, the gasoline in the truck is always cycled and always fresh.
NatGas would be an alternative here as it is always on, but the NG gennies are very pricey for limited used.
I have NatGas for water heater, fireplace insert and cooking, none of which require electrical power to operate.

Those worried about charging their devices are the same crowd who have really never faced an adversity of any kind.

After Ian I'm throwing in the towel.  I've gone through three hurricanes in South Florida and several near misses (including Ian).  I'm seriously considering an all house generator with an automatic turn on.  Had two good friends in Miami with them and they were very impressive.  My HOA already said yes so it's a go.  My house has hurricane proof windows and doors (don't know how effective they are, though).  At my age I just don't want to fiddle @#$%^ with gas cans anymore and I'm 48 ft above sea level so I'm in a no-flood zone (very rare in Florida).  

8 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

After Ian I'm throwing in the towel.  I've gone through three hurricanes in South Florida and several near misses (including Ian).  I'm seriously considering an all house generator with an automatic turn on.  Had two good friends in Miami with them and they were very impressive.  My HOA already said yes so it's a go.  My house has hurricane proof windows and doors (don't know how effective they are, though).  At my age I just don't want to fiddle @#$%^ with gas cans anymore and I'm 48 ft above sea level so I'm in a no-flood zone (very rare in Florida).  

Go for it! I’d do it today !!

Archived