SASS Wire Forum

Single Six ejector rod binding

Go West

I found a load of 3.9 gr. of Blue Dot for .32 mag. with a 100 gr. bullet. I'm wondering if the load is too hot because the ejector rod will bind after a stage. I'm thinking the gun gets hot and binds the rod. What do you think? When the guns were clean and cold this wasn't an issue.

The rod won't budge. The cylinders have to be pulled to drop the empties.

The Lyman Cast manual says 3.9 gr. for 773 fps with a 100 gr. bullet.

Is the channel carrying the ejector rod clean?  Sometimes they build up plastic like deposits that inhibit rod movement.  Cleaning them is pretty easy -- just remove one screw.

My guess....... the little hole in the frame is too tight and now allowing the ejector rod to smoothly push thru.

Open it up just a few .000 and polish AND.... slightly bevel the front edge.

TEST:  remove the cylinder and push your ejector rod back and forth a few times to see it there might be

slight dragging during the process.

..........Widder

I have had to drill out numerous Single Six ejector rod holes.  It does not have to be a precision fit.  Take off the ejector rod housing and then drill the hole out a few thousands.  Also, Blue Dot is not a good powder for light SASS loads.  It is for heavy shotgun loads or heavy handgun loads.  Used for light SASS loads it is dirty and exacerbates the tight fitting ejector rod hole problem.  Look for powders like Bullseye, Clays, Red Dot, HP38/231.  I.e., faster powders.

You're probably right, Larsen. I ran out of Bullseye and thought since the published load didn't seem too fast, I'd try it. I bought a long drill bit to see about opening the hole. I'll look to see what other powders I have.

1 hour ago, Go West said:

You're probably right, Larsen. I ran out of Bullseye and thought since the published load didn't seem too fast, I'd try it. I bought a long drill bit to see about opening the hole. I'll look to see what other powders I have.

And it don't hurt to give the front of that hole a slight bevel also.

..........Widder

Single Six revolvers are typically pretty close fitting, both at the loading gate and at the ejector rod.  It isn't unusual to have to wiggle the cylinder a bit to get to alignment.  Modifying per the above advise can ease the fit, if you don't mind making gun modifications.  Keeping them clean and lubed helps a great deal. 

Hey Go West - it wouldn’t do that if you stopped pounding on the unloading table with it because you missed one target!

TTB

I had one that would bind if the ejector rod housing screw was loose.

Following this.  We have 3 sets.  His set (Bisleys) don't have any issues with the ejector rod sticking.  Mine are both small plow frames and I have one set that one occasionally when ejecting will get a little sticky.  My other set both of them get so sticky that I literally have to place the ejector rod nub against the edge of the table and shove it.  The rod is slightly sticky even after cleaning the guns (which includes taking a qtip with hoppes and inserting it into the housing with the spring compressed).  These guns get much worse as I shoot them.  We have tried Rem oil, Mobil oil, Ballistol, etc and they still do it.  We use 32 longs with 3.4 grns of HP38/Win 231 with either a 78 or 100 grn bullet.  The set that sticks all of the time gets used less than the set that only has one gun that sticks occasionally because the sticky set only gets used for major matches.  Not sure if any of this info is related to the problem but I would be very interested in a solution.  Thanks.

Roper

1 hour ago, Renegade Roper said:

Not sure if any of this info is related to the problem but I would be very interested in a solution. 

You have the answer if you have read the thread.  Enlarge the ejector rod hole in the frame.  Common problem, easy fix.

One of my two Ruger .32 birdheads had an ejector rod that would occasionally bind.  It was the stainless one of my mixed pair; the blued gun never bound up.  I chose to knock off  about .005" on the ejector rod rather than mess with a hole on the frame since the could always be replaced if I blundered.  The issue seems to be solved.

3 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

One of my two Ruger .32 birdheads had an ejector rod that would occasionally bind.  It was the stainless one of my mixed pair; the blued gun never bound up.  I chose to knock off  about .005" on the ejector rod rather than mess with a hole on the frame since the could always be replaced if I blundered.  The issue seems to be solved.

That's what I was wondering after reading about filing the hole, if it would be easier to sand the rod itself. 

I drilled the holes out, they were just too tight. It was weird that they didn't do this with Bullseye, but did with Blue Dot. I was thinking heat, but maybe it was due to dirty loads. 

Archived