SASS Wire Forum

'R Plates' introduced on Australian roads

Buckshot Bear

'R Plates' introduced on Australian roads

I thought this was an April Fools joke in October when I heard about it yesterday.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/r-plates-introduced-on-australian-roads-for-drivers-recovering-from-road-trauma/43c86cd3-ee10-4a31-b2aa-c98c4f217a60

well, ........ bless their hearts ..........

I currently, and in future, try really hard to dispense roaduser curtesy to all roadusers without favour to any particular roaduser group.

I expect no less toward me.

( this reeks of "participation trophy" wokeness  <_<)

If Aussie drivers are anything like US drivers, instead of giving them a little slack because they're just coming back to the road after a trauma, they're going to tailgate them and blow their horn at them and cut them off and pass and cut right in front of them, and generally try to traumatize them all over again.

"Driving scares you? Well get the hell off the road!"

Just now, Alpo said:

If Aussie drivers are anything like US drivers, instead of giving them a little slack because they're just coming back to the road after a trauma, they're going to tailgate them and blow their horn at them and cut them off and pass and cut right in front of them, and generally try to traumatize them all over again.

"Driving scares you? Well get the hell off the road!"

I agree.

You are either safe to be on the road or you shouldn't be driving. 

It's a little like they want 'V' for Victim plates on their cars.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What are P and L plates?

L plates are displayed by "learner drivers" who must be accompanied by a licenced adult driver at all times they are on the road.

P plates (red) are displayed by new drivers for the first 12 months after they pass their driving test. (provisional driver)

P plates (green) are displayed for the next 3 years after the driver gets past the red plates.

each comes with restrictions and conditions.

L plates may be obtained after the age of 16 and 9 months and are usually valid for 3 months, though they may be extended a number of times.

The above applies in New South Wales, other states may vary.

8 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Now if we could get an M or I plate so we knew who to avoid! 

they do exist, though I have not seen one ..... "M" .... minster of the crown or, if you like, a politician who has been appointed to be a minister of government.  :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Now if we could get an M or I plate so we knew who to avoid! 

and, by the way, it appears that the plates that are beneficial to avoid are the green ones, ............. it seems that because they have had their licence for more than 12 months they KNOW IT ALL !  <_<

A sampling of my history of vehicular trauma:

Wore a tire out, it blew, had to push it (the tire, not the car) to a gas station And back with a good used tire. Why not use the spare? Well, I was being a slow learner. Bent a car around a telephone pole. Got a speeding ticket. (I was framed) Got two speeding tickets in the same night. (OK, I was not framed for the first one, but the second was a setup!) Bent another car around a rock on the side of a hill. Riding a bike (bicycle) for a while was good physical therapy. Rear-ended someone (softly). Got rear-ended, no damage. A battery cable fell off off the battery at an intersection. When an officer finally arrived, he yelled at me to move my car. 

Got rear-ended again, no damage. Minivan pulled up too close, kids opened the sliding door, and ripped the mirror off of my rental car. Blew an engine which put me on the side of the interstate. Nearly did serious damage when I broke a rear end retaining pin on a high-power shift, only 3/4" to spare. Got a parking ticket. Got side-swiped. Backed into a rock, ripped a mudflap off the car. I put the rock back where it was supposed to be. Got rear-ended (very hard). Lots of physical therapy. Got a warning for speeding and a headlight out.

Now find it necessary to drive a therapy car because of all of the trauma:

But I chose my own "special" plate 

IMG_2186 (2).jpeg

17 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The prefix for our county is 23 - 3/4 drive well below the posted speed limit.  That is where a Muscle Car, even an old one, comes in handy on sparsely traveled well maintained roads!

Yes, I enjoy it.

Sadly this wasn't a prank story :(

"aims to encourage other road users to have more empathy for nervous drivers."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/major-change-aussie-drivers-divides-opinion-r-plates-050828206.html

At least 58% think its stoooooopid, I worry about the other 42% 

What pure, plain, diamond -studded, gold-plated, star-spangled, unmitigated, criminally stupid time and money wasting BULL Stuff.

You folks at the bottom of the world are suffering from bureaucrats, elected, appointed, hired, and volunteered who are challenging California's well-earned positin as the top of the heap idiots.

35 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What pure, plain, diamond -studded, gold-plated, star-spangled, unmitigated, criminally stupid time and money wasting BULL Stuff.

You folks at the bottom of the world are suffering from bureaucrats, elected, appointed, hired, and volunteered who are challenging California's well-earned positin as the top of the heap idiots.

USAUSmap2.webp.3800ef0cb99e16ba9b2881a2be882fd3.webp

42 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

................ yeah ....

:blush:

Archived