SASS Wire Forum

Three Years and Counting

Cypress Sun

Drinks are on me today...premium brands included!

Three years ago (and a day or so), I quit smoking cigarettes. Haven't used a tobacco product since.

Took a 10 day stint in a hospital for bacterial pneumonia to finally encourage me to give up the 45 year old bad habit, but there it is.

It doesn't really bother me anymore...but there are some days that I say, Hey one wouldn't hurt, but then I know it would and will. Boy, I wish I had all of the money I spent on cigarettes over the years. 

If anyone is still struggling with quitting cigarettes or tobacco products, keep trying to quit. It ain't easy, it's hard...I know. I wish you success.

Good on ya!

People will disagree with me, but that's ok. Tobacco and alcohol addiction is all in your head. Not saying that there aren't some physiological issues but that aside, a person who wants to quit either, can. But, they have to really want to do it. 

Congratulations.  16 years ago last March for me.  I still get a bit of perverse pleasure sniffing a whiff of cigarette smoke outdoors, but can't stand to be cooped up in a car or room with it. 

At the time I quit, they had just gone to $3.00 per pack.  $2190 a year.  That's a pretty nice Colt SAA, or a pair of Rugers, per year burnt.  

Congratulations! :D

I quit cigarettes 5 years ago. I still use the lightest nicotine lozenges but not many. 

Good for you. Keep up the good work 

I quit in 1996.  It was a tough task and I hurt some feelings and bruised a couple of egos. 

At one point, Schoolmarm and Hatfield talked about buying a carton of my brand and holding a gun on me until I smoked ‘em all!!

I had a hard time holding my temper and my tongue.  I told several of my fellow employees about their shortcomings on the job and didn’t mince words doing it.

Nicotine is a depressant!  I was/am an impatient and low tolerance person.  I guess it kept me out of trouble over many years.:unsure: :lol:

Congratulations, CS!!  Think of it as taking control over a part of your life!!

ps;  I still want a smoke once in a while!!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

ps;  I still want a smoke once in a while!!!

For the first 6 months I would then one day I didn’t like the smell. Now I smell cigarettes and it doesn’t bother me nor do I want them. 

I had quit a few times in the past but just  couldn’t get past that couple of month window. 

Congrats on quitting and not ringing anyone’s neck. :lol:

Quit my pipes and cigars when Sherron became pregnant with Big Red, after years of trying after losing our first.

Still get a craving the odd time, when I smell a nice blend.

I still get the urge on rare occasions, like after a particularly enjoyable meal, a really fast run in a really wicked car, or a nice roll in the hay!

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I still get the urge on rare occasions, like after a particularly enjoyable meal, a really fast run in a really wicked car, or a nice roll in the hay!

The only time I really get the urge is kind of strange. It's when I get in my truck to go somewhere, that's when it's strongest.

Being around someone smoking cigs outside, like at a match, doesn't bother me at all, kind of smells good. Being trapped in a vehicle with a smoker is unbearable now, didn't used to be a problem. I can't imagine going to a smoke filled bar. I can also smell a medium/heavy smoker from a distance now...stinks bad. I smell them and think "There goes me a few years ago". 

My apologies to those who put up with the stink for 45 years. 

Congratulations.  I too quit cigarettes after my first child was born.  She is 41 now.  My how time flies.  Started smoking cigars in about 98 after I started CAS.  It's a period thing you know.  I enjoyed the oral fixation and I thought is added to my persona as a grizzled cowboy.  I quit cigars three years ago.  Tried to smoke one last year while deer hunting.  It was old, dry and brittle.  Tasted terrible.   I do like the whiff of a smoke occasionally but the butts and stubs really do stink.

The first 48 hours is the hardest.  Your body has to clean its system of the residue and then the habits of putting things in your mouth and playing with things with your fingers takes longer.  I'm about done with my Diet Coke addiction.  I switched to flavoring my water.  Seems to be working.  Haven't had a Diet in a month.

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If'n you smoke after sex you are doing it wrong

12 minutes ago, Cowboy Small said:

If'n you smoke after sex you are doing it wrong

Back when I smoked, it was one of the rewards for having done it so well, often shared with my darlin’, along with maybe a snack and a beverage, before another round!!!

First time in a couple of months, but a Gloria Cubana Series R Black tasted fine this evening.  Just wrap the butt and ashes in foil overnight and no nasty odor in the morning.  On average one or two a month.  Gotta die of something!

Archived