SASS Wire Forum

Mormon Posse

A number of years ago there was a group called Mormon Posse. To my knowledge it is no longer active. 

I want to reactivate this group. Anyone interested, please let me know.  I have designed a badge. 

it will state the territory you reside, your alias, and Posse member number. 

5C9F6F19-80F8-4937-A7A8-742FA2822DF9.jpeg

So how do you plan to "re-activate" the posse? I think I put on the only Mormon Posse match(es) and even I never bought the badge. It was fun but a lot of people felt it was exclusionary, or eccentric I suppose. It was neither, just another match, maybe a bit more family friendly. 

I cant see it being a viable internet sub-group.

Doc Nelson

I'm missing something.  What is the point of the Posse, is it a separate club?  a subgroup within a club?  Do any clubs normally have subgroups?What are you trying to accomplish with or through it?  What would be different, except the badge?

13 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TN Williams wanted to start a Southern Baptist Posse, but all of them had to take a DNF at the Dance Hall stage at Wartrace.

:lol:

..........Widder

I heard they had a tough time in the Saloon. Couldn't see the targets with all the shades drawn. :P

My intention is just to show my/ our belief as well as having fun shooting. Not necessarily for separate matches or anything on that line. As far as exclusive membership goes, anyone would be and is welcome, regardless of religious affiliation. Although I being a member , or at least believing in the same principles of the LDS church would be somewhat imperative. I just wanted it to be a fun way to show our beliefs. 

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yeah, the loading table was hard to get to for all the casseroles taking up space too!

And don't forget the Baptist take up an offering for every stage..... :lol:

..........Widder

I know you guys are just poking good natured fun and that's cool. 
I was just exploring whether or not there is any real interest. 

I will be wearing this badge for all to see. If others are so inclined, fantastic, if I'm the only one that's great as well. 

bottom line, if someone is interested and there are enough interested, then I'll start some type of membership role or records or ........  

just testing the waters

If you noticed, I placed a 'LIKE' on a couple of your post cause I think its a cool idea.

And yea, TW and I were just having fun with what it would be like in a Baptist posse..... because we both are Baptist.

I hope you garner some good Posse members.

..........Widder

24 minutes ago, Mystery Rider, SASS # 69900 said:

I know you guys are just poking good natured fun and that's cool. 
I was just exploring whether or not there is any real interest. 

I will be wearing this badge for all to see. If others are so inclined, fantastic, if I'm the only one that's great as well. 

bottom line, if someone is interested and there are enough interested, then I'll start some type of membership role or records or ........  

just testing the waters

There are quite a few posses, or gangs or what have you. Some, you have to do or be a certain thing to be a member such as jedi for gunfighters or pistoleers for duelists(cause we're coolest) and some you don't. I don't see anything wrong with a fella making his or her own group. I was kinda hoping someone would start the Apple-dumpling gang. To be a member, you just have to have had a train wreck!

12 hours ago, Mystery Rider, SASS # 69900 said:

A number of years ago there was a group called Mormon Posse. To my knowledge it is no longer active. 

I want to reactivate this group. Anyone interested, please let me know.  I have designed a badge. 

it will state the territory you reside, your alias, and Posse member number. 

5C9F6F19-80F8-4937-A7A8-742FA2822DF9.jpeg

I'm interested. Possum Stu, Utah Territory. I don't know what my posse member number would be though.

Cool badge,  I like the Moroni figure in the center,   
I’d be in for the fun badge.   I’m in Michigan,  guess that’d be East-aways , out yonder back East, or something like that territory….  Got a couple of other pards might go for it too including our Stake Prez…. 
feel free to PM me.  

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TN Williams wanted to start a Southern Baptist Posse, but all of them had to take a DNF at the Dance Hall stage at Wartrace.

:lol:

..........Widder

But if there was only one Baptist then good to go at the dance hall & salon stages :D

31 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

For hair-splitting curiosity, is a "Posse Badge" a "...team logo", per "Outlawed Items, SHB p4? 

How about a "Faith Badge"?

Logo – distinctive graphic design, stylized name, unique symbol, or other device for identifying an organization. This includes those of SASS, individual clubs/ranges, match commemorative and those of any subgroups within the Cowboy Action 

Exceptions: Badges, pins, belt buckles, scarf slides, military unit/rank insignia of a standard size.

SHB pp.43-44

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And yea, TW and I were just having fun with what it would be like in a Baptist posse..... because we both are Baptist.

Speaking as a Baptist preacher, I have often wondered if we are required to carry a Schofield along with our Scofield.

19 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yeah, the loading table was hard to get to for all the casseroles taking up space too!

Couples with last names A-L please bring Italian casserole and salad.
Couples with last names M-Z please bring Italian casserole and dessert.

Singles please bring potato chips.

Never understood why it always had to be "Italian" casserole.   Found out years later that it was cuz it was the least expensive to make.  So there were always several variations of lasagna, meatballs in sauce, and a plethora of pasta dishes.   And there were always a few folks who just brought nice food that defied the Italian descriptor.  Guess what always vanished first...

20 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Reminds me of the time my wife and I were at a garage sale and the lady had a table full of casserole dishes. Her homemade sign said "Vintage Baptist Religious Artifacts" :) 

20 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If you noticed, I placed a 'LIKE' on a couple of your post cause I think its a cool idea.

I hope you garner some good Posse members.

..........Widder

Yes I noticed and took it in the way intended. 

Thanks

19 hours ago, Possum Stu said:

I'm interested. Possum Stu, Utah Territory. I don't know what my posse member number would be though.

If we get this going, I'd assign you the next number "128".  The number 127 was my assigned number from the original Posse. 

52 minutes ago, Mystery Rider, SASS # 69900 said:

If we get this going, I'd assign you the next number "128".  The number 127 was my assigned number from the original Posse. 

Sounds good to me!

15 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Speaking as a Baptist preacher, I have often wondered if we are required to carry a Schofield along with our Scofield.

I can do this.

As you go into this new endeavor, please understand and  remember that individual clubs expend considerable  effort in trying to maintain a single, cohesive membership that stays free of cliques or splinter groups which could end up dividing their membership or reducing members' enjoyment of club functions.   When enjoyment turns to differences or strife, club membership often declines.   Anything that diminishes members'  enjoyment of club functions will end up affecting membership roles. 

Our women CAS shooters have truly done an amazing job of forming and running women's cowboy action shooting subgroups, like LOCAS, without becoming devisive to the whole -- in fact they have consciously  increased overall CAS cohesiveness by making new people feel welcome and included, while sponsoring events, training and other things that promote the general camaraderie of CAS.  Major kudos to them. 

Looking at LOCAS as a model, please try to genuinely reach beyond the margins of your particular faith and remember that for CAS to survive, we need to stay as ONE cowboy family.  

This is just a personal thought and opinion that I  wanted to share with you at your beginning. 

Good luck to you!

I’d rather people know I’m a Christian by my love & actions than a badge. I think a “separate” group based on religion, political beliefs, ethnic heritage etc would be a mistake. 

6 hours ago, Jackalope said:

Just what we need, another way to be divisive.

See below. That's not the intent of the posse, and I don't believe wearing a simple badge would be in and of itself divisive, any more than other Christians wearing a cross or something. It's just for fun. In my case, I likely wouldn't even be wearing the badge to matches regularly - It would just be another cool badge in my collection and another line in my profile.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, Mystery Rider, SASS # 69900 said:

My intention is just to show my/ our belief as well as having fun shooting. Not necessarily for separate matches or anything on that line. As far as exclusive membership goes, anyone would be and is welcome, regardless of religious affiliation. Although I being a member , or at least believing in the same principles of the LDS church would be somewhat imperative. I just wanted it to be a fun way to show our beliefs. 

On 10/6/2022 at 9:23 AM, StirrupTrouble said:

Reminds me of the time my wife and I were at a garage sale and the lady had a table full of casserole dishes. Her homemade sign said "Vintage Baptist Religious Artifacts" :) 

Thank you! I finally know what to call my casserole collection! I have some nice pieces.

I have no problem with what is proposed here, and appreciate the humor in this conversation.

I may read the rules wrong, but I feel like they restrict SASS from turning into Team Uberti vs Team Smith & Wesson

I only note "Nylon, plastic, or velcro accoutrements" are "Prohibited items." There is nothing in the rules as far as what shorts you wear under your pants.

There are a bunch of you I would enjoy shooting with. At least any who got at least one grin reading this post.

To those that view this as a way to be exclusive or divisive, that is not my intention. Personally I was simply wanting to show my love for Christ while doing something that I throughly love, shooting. I apologize to those who took offense to this idea. 

As for me, I'll one wearing this badge as often as possible. 

To those truly interested, please email me - dale.kendrick@gmail.com. 

2 hours ago, Mystery Rider, SASS # 69900 said:

To those that view this as a way to be exclusive or divisive, that is not my intention. Personally I was simply wanting to show my love for Christ while doing something that I throughly love, shooting. I apologize to those who took offense to this idea. 

As for me, I'll one wearing this badge as often as possible. 

To those truly interested, please email me - dale.kendrick@gmail.com. 

I just sent you an email. This should be fun.

Archived