SASS Wire Forum

Churches and changing names

Chief Rick

We've been passing by this building a couple times a month for the past few years.

In that time, this particular building has had three different "church" names.

I say it that way because "church" has always been in the name on the signs.

That said, there has never been a denomination in any of the names.  No Baptist, Protestant, Pentecostal, etc.

In my hometown, I'm aware of only one church actually relocating to another location.  The building that church vacated was in turn occupied by another denomination.

I've never witnessed what I've seen with this building.

well I know the United Methodist Church  is having a big split over homosexuality teachings. Most of churches in this area are splitting with the more liberal methodist churches 

Marketing for ratings?

I’m the pastor at Church Of The Woodshop and it’s been in the same place since 1994.:lol:

One sees many more 'generic' church names than in former times. Brotherhood of this, Fellowship of that, Anchor Church, Life Center, Praise Center, and so on, as traditional denominations have assumed less importance.

I've seen  church buildings go through these sorts of name changes several times.

35 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m the pastor at Church Of The Woodshop and it’s been in the same place since 1994.:lol:

You got a mean crowd there. Serpents snd vipers! :lol:

Often many of these churches are non-denominational so they don’t have an organization that can support them when times are lean. Also, many folks get “the calling” and start a church with just a few people or families involved. It’s all sunshine and snacky cakes until they discover the costs outweigh their pocketbooks. And sometimes a church falters for other reasons. Just because a church doesn’t have a “big name”, like; Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Etc, it doesn’t mean they’re a scam or some fly-by-night get rich quick religion. Oh sure, there are charlatans, but I would bet for the most part they’re just people that bit off more than they can chew. 

Funny story. I had a guy that worked for me that is Muslim. One day he says to me “I would like to ask a question about Christians, but have always been afraid to ask because I don’t want to tick anyone off or start a fight.”

I told him to proceed. 
He asked me “Why are there so many different types of churches? Can they not get along or does it say somewhere in the Bible that there must be many different churches?”

Definitely an interesting question. 
I started to try and explain but an idea hit me. I told him I saw it kind of like the Sunnis and the Shiites and all the various tribes of folks in the Middle East and how different cultures within Islam just do things a little differently. 
What I didn’t want to do is give him my true opinion, which I will not do here either, because I didn’t want him to think a whole lot less of Christians and churches. 

Archived